DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

LOVE it. I have the stock one and the F-18 one. Would buy them again in a heartbeat. I prefer the stock(right) for my hand size.

2 Likes

Awesome!! intel. Thanks!! I want to setup for that new A-10 that should becoming out from DC Designs. :sunglasses:

The top one won’t work without figuring out how to set the appropriate LVAR. The second one may not as well.

They work just fine for me. Hmm. If you have the AP on and use either of those, the heading/altitude will stick where you pressed them. If the AP isn’t on, it will hold those values until you change them.

Without the AP on, get in the air and try the heading one. You will see the compass at the top left change the heading to what it was when you pressed the button. Easiest way to tell it’s working unless you watch the HUD.

4:25Z in the air from RJFU over to RJTT then up to Sapporo. I used both buttons seconds after takeoff. Both worked as they always have for me. Nice Sunday in Japan btw.

That’s the stick on the right. Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks!! for posting the photos. I just put my order in. :hugs:

1 Like

heading/altitude
“I used both buttons seconds after takeoff” How can you do that? Would that not lock you into a very low Alt?

Sounds like it’s time for a YouTube video :thinking:

Happy to help, especially in DC/SC threads. Jack has spent hours helping me. That’s what the forum should be about, community and helping each other enjoy the sim.

1 Like

If the AP were on, yes. If not, no. I just wanted to make sure something didn’t change on me between last night and now with my bindings. Everything still works as it has for 18+ months.

Let’s say you press the ALT button I suggested at 7K ft with the AP on… If you used my ALT+/- binding on the throttle(POV up/down aka black HAT to the right of the little rubber button), you’d see the altitude increase/decrease on the HUD. You could run it up to whatever you want and, by default, the plane would ascend at approximately 3K/min. Engage V/S and adjust that if you want. It doesn’t work in the FENIX because of how it’s coded, but it works in every other aircraft I’ve flown in MSFS.

1 Like

GREAT!! intel. I will be trying that tomorrow. I had my R HAT set to look around but I’ll just change it.

1 Like

I’ll be flying. 107 here tomorrow and my dog is sick. Post if you have issues.

sorry!! to hear about your dog. Wishing a speedy recovery.

1 Like

Hey @BlackSanta512, I have created a video so you can see that the status of the switches is not encoded in reverse as you mention (is it possible that in your mappings the states of APU and starters are directly true by default?).

In any case, I have used the electricity debugger so that you can see internally what each switch does and what you should achieve in the mapping. I hope that helps you.

You will see that I do two starts and that in the first one I forget to turn the generators ON (minute 1:35). Also remember the fuel cutoff handle positions to be in dissengaged.

If you haven’t had a problem mapping them on the f-15, it’s because JFSStarter and CrossBleed are the same thing, while JFS fuel pull handle and the Crank swith are the same too (Engine starters). So if you figure out the mapping in F-14 you have solved the same in F-15. You must understand that before the fuel system was implemented, the engines were completely electrically started, while now they are by Bleed, but an APU is necessary.

You shouldn’t overcomplicate this, the events that play a role here are:

APU_GENERATOR_SWITCH_SET
APU_BLEED_AIR_SOURCE_SET
ENGINE_BLEED_AIR_SOURCE_SET

3 Likes

Thanks Jack. I’ll check it out today. Appreciate the help as always.

I know I’m new to this and maybe you have a very good reason for it but why can’t you say
Switch 1 = X,Y,Z in MSFS
Switch 2 = X,Y,Z in MSFS
And so on. I just don’t get it.

From a business perspective
I know I’m miss new pilot/nobody but I’m a costumer who was going to buy your F-4, Harrier and A-10. Now!!! I’m rethinking those purchases. This is just to complicated.

Sorry you feel that way, but it seems no matter how hard we try unfortunately we just can’t please everybody. Frankly, flipping a couple of switches with a mouse really isn’t so difficult. There’s no way we or any other developer can provide direct support for every periphal, controller and throttle quadrant out there, there are literally hundreds, and all customers have different preferences, set-ups, PCs, console set ups etc etc. The F-14s now start the way the real airplane starts, that’s how it works.

Sometimes, it really is down to the customer to make their own personal preferences work the way they want them to.

5 Likes

and frankly we could help more if the attitude were different: today I throw it to trash, tomorrow I will try again, throw it away again etc, I’m not going to buy your products again…

I’m very sorry for your frustration, but the switches are coded according to what the official manual stipulates that they must do, hence there are planes that have a single switch to start two engines. I have the warthog too, but I use the mouse to boot those switches and I don’t see any issues or immersion breaking.

3 Likes

DEAN01973, CodenameJack447: I’m truly not trying to bash you guys and I apologize if I came off that way. My installing, deleting install is coming from a desire to update, but frustration that it’s not working with the warthog.

CodenameJack447: “I have the warthog too, but I use the mouse to boot those switches” If you can’t get them to work, NO WAY will I be able to get them to work. Thanks!! for that intel.

“I’m not going to buy your products again”
I said “I was rethinking those purchases” Why? because this is too complicated for me.

I have not said that, I simply do not need to map those buttons for my immersion, nor do I make different profiles of them since I assume that not everyone has them and I also have to manage 5 planes plus those that are to come and the objective always will be to make the virtual switches of the cabin interactive, not those of a real peripheral. Imagine if you had to map the concorde startup switches. Is something impossible.

1 Like

It’s okay. We’re just trying to tell you that you’re never going to be able to map everything to a HOTAS system other than fairly simple aircraft. There are always going to be switches you’re going to have to operate with a mouse.

4 Likes