Dearth of genuinely appealing content in Xbox marketplace

I’m sure someone must’ve expressed this opinion before but is the lack of anything really substantial in the Xbox marketplace an attempt to drive those of us who only have the basic game to purchase expensive upgrades which really only add a few aircraft ( most of which aren’t far from what we have ) and a selection of 10 airports ?

Maybe adding the new Istanbul airport would have been a smart move - THAT i’d probably pay for.

Rant over. the game is great although it crashes every time i try to fly in Germany …

MTS

Egypt & Scotland

2 Likes

There are lots of products “on the way”, but unfortunately the marketplace ingestion is so slow, I can’t find a metaphor that adequately describes it.

4 Likes

the marketplace has a stroke. New applications will be reviewed in 8 weeks or more. Probably all employees have been fired.

1 Like

The slow speed of being offered more things to spend money on is not troubling me so much. I’m sure more stuff will arrive. It’s not as if the world is small. :relieved:

3 Likes

That’s always going to be a problem while the sim itself is going though such major changes because even the fixes will need fixes. I expect things will improve once the sim is stable. Hopefully soon.

Meh it’s more of an issue with manpower AND terrible workflows.

If you say so but I think it’s more to do with priorities than anything or they will end up having to test the same mods multiple times for little or no gain.

I’m not convinced the numbers of people buying addons on the xbox marketplace makes it worthwhile.

Maybe a developer could chime in with the numbers vs PC?

Alot of people who play on xbox baulk at the prices of FS addons, even though they have essentially been the same price for 20 years (since FSX)

This is very valid, pricing is well above typical microtransactions on Xbox.
And why would I buy an airport I only fly to once?
Aircraft, different matter, I’ve yet to buy one, but that may happen.
Activities and general world improvements, also maybe (I bought the current season).

True but I would expect volume sales to bring prices down a lot although I don’t expect Xbox mods will ever be fully functional above basic GA aircraft.

Aircraft will always sell and airports too if they are good enough and cheap enough. Profit margins may drop but increased sales should more than make up for it.

I’d pay through my backside for a twin prop commuter (ATR, Dash 8 etc) or a commuter jet like the CRJ on xbox.

6 Likes

It will be interesting to see if the sim on Xbox exerts a downwards pricing pressure.

I’d be much more relaxed to spend if the pricing was, well, a good deal less.

Molasses in January.

This is fair enough and I’m fairly sure that most people don’t do this on any platform.

What is more likely is that people buy airports that they know. Probably quite local to them and possibly airports that together form some sort of route. (Helsinki>Copenhagen>Brussels for example)

True enough. My nearest non-grass airport is Heathrow so I’m kind of good.
I headed out from home base on July 27th and haven’t been back.
But people enjoy the sim in such different ways.

I can appreciate the ‘correct feeling’ of a bespoke airport, but not for only 15 minutes (before moving on) at those prices. :relieved:

Aerosoft have said the CRJ is coming to Xbox. Just going to take some time to get it working on the console properly.

2 Likes

The whole marketplace is a bit of a dumpster fire and has been since launch. Many of the big-name devs are very reluctant to use it at all due to onerous and lengthy processes required to get any of their products or updates published. Unfortunately for Xbox users, that’s the only way they can get add-ons, so it puts a huge damper on their experience.

Stuff submitted to the marketplace can take weeks to months before publishing approval. Then along comes a Sim Update that breaks their add-on. They can have their wares patched up for the new update within a couple of days. Customers who bought their products from resellers will have said patches immediately. The Marketplace update for those patches will lag anywhere from 4-8 weeks behind. In that time, said dev has to deal with unhappy customers who can’t use a product they paid for.

The fault of this lies with Microsoft, not Asobo nor 3rd party devs. They have a horrible, overly complicated process along with a understaffed ingest department. Those 3rd parties don’t want to have to deal with that kind of BS. They give up on the Xbox $$, but in return they have much happier customers and can distribute their content on their own terms in a timely manner, rather than being at the mercy of Microsoft’s whims.

I feel sorry for Carenado who sold their souls to the devil early on being the first dev to launch planes for MSFS with an exclusivity deal that their wares would only be in the marketplace. They’ve had their planes repeatedly broken since launch.

In the end, there’s very little incentive for devs to submit stuff to the Marketplace and by extension, to make their wares Xbox compatible.

13 Likes

Yes, this is why I ignore the marketplace completely. I bought one product (CRJ) just to see how it would be, but I’ve never been tempted to buy anything else after that. It just seems a bit half-baked at the moment. I like the idea of having one place to buy everything and reinstall everything, but it needs to actually work.

I’ve decided to only look at the marketplace after another six months or so, and only if things have improved.

I own quite a bit of marketplace items and so far only one airport has been push out to be updated. The rest of 50+ if there are any updates has not been push out at all.

1 Like