Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

Tongue-in-cheek my, well, you know… That’s exactly what this forum is. Your post should be stickied…

1 Like

I liked your post as well. In my case I thought I was ready for the Acceptance phase as I’ve been here many times before. However, I’m now at the point of frustration and it’s not with FPS it’s with reliability.

My system had been running really well and I had very few issues and then SU15 was released. Since that time I’ve had nothing but repeated CTD’s at various times. So two days ago I bit the bullet and did a complete wipe of my system formatting the SSD.

I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 11 Professional and then went through all of the associated updates from Windows Update. Once I completed that I went to Dell Support (I have an Alienware Aurora R16) and went through and upgraded all my drivers. Upon completion of that I went to the Microsoft Store and proceeded to download MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe. So far so good. No errors. A clean Event Log, etc. So I start up MSFS 2020 and go through the initial download of 165GB’s so that I can get into the program. Make it there and I’m sitting at the main screen. I have a completely clean Community Folder, I haven’t installed anything from Content Manager or 3rd parties. As I’m sitting there taking a break for lunch I watch the software crash!

So what’s the deal? I have a completely clean, basic install, I’m not running any other applications, I haven’t installed anything on my system yet beyond the Windows Updates and MSFS 2020 and the program can’t even keep running just sitting at the main screen? What a joke! You’d think after 4 years it could at least stay up.

After the above, I then went back through all of the Dell Diagnostics and everything passed without so much as a warning. I don’t overclock my system. It’s a 14th generation i9-14900KF, 32GB of RAM, RTX4070ti, and a 2TB XG8 series SSD M.2. Everything is as it was shipped from Dell/Alienware.

Yes, the sim has improved in the last 4 years, but we don’t seem to be making any progress on CTD’s. I am going to give it another try, but I am getting very close to just getting rid of MSFS altogether and going back to just using my computer for E-mail, Web Surfing, and Solitaire! The frustration of flying for several hours and then a CTD when you’re within 20nm’s of your destination is just getting to be too much to put up with.

3 Likes

I guess I should be grateful that I can’t recall the last time I had a CTD. I can only remember a couple, and they were caused by an nVidia driver, or in one case, by a particular ReShade filter.

The worst issue I’ve had were with stutters when panning the camera. Also, I suffered from the CPU load problem when flying over Germany - experienced by many. But there was a significant improvement in both after SU15.

The sim has never been better on my system. There are limitations. I’m hoping that FS2024 will help.

As one of my “best practices” with the sim whenever I download any content of any type I immediately exit the sim and reboot my computer before I start any flights. Never have had a CTD as a result.

1 Like

i keep bouncing back and forth from anger to acceptance non-stop… depends on how the sim performed that day… when everything clicks and i finish a perfect flight… all the sim’s bugs (oh my god so many) dont bother me that much,
but when the bugs start acting up, it really really gets me on my nerves

the last days i’ve been having problems finishing long haul flights which is something i love to do, one when i loaded an approach with the mcdu, the whole sim froze on me… it didnt CTD… it just locked and froze… hours of flight lost

then a medium haul flight with the A310, about two hours of flight i arrived at NY with reduced fps and stutters (wasn’t this fixed??)… then the whole cockpit became unresponsive, all buttons switches and levers frozen… the plane kept flying though…

i have very few, if any, addons and i fly the stock “official” ms/asobo a/c precisely because of this…these kind of bugs really get me down, i dont like when things dont work as they should

You forgot the final stage:

Never mind. All of my problems will be fixed in MSFS 2024, and I’ll be able to fly with everything on ultra with my current machine because reasons.

6 Likes

Maybe Kubler-Ross should have added a 6th phase.

Sto-vo-kor (also written Sto’Vo’Kor, or Suto’vo’qor in the Klingon language) was, in Klingon mythology, the afterlife for the honored dead, where all true warriors went after they died to fight an eternal battle against great enemies. The halls of Sto-vo-kor were said to be guarded by Jorg the Magnificent.

4 Likes

We gotta wait another ten years. The systems are not there yet.

Play your Jack! You’ve got mail ! Bob will help us search !

duplicate …

I generally do the same. Having been in the IT field for 41+ years before retiring, I usually take all the precautions I can think of and keep my systems running as smoothly as possible. I love technology when it works and it drives me crazy when it doesn’t. I love MSFS2020 but I have never had as many problems with a software package as I have had with this one. Regardless, I’ll hang in there as when it works it can’t be beat.

3 Likes