DG-1001/Ls8-18 very incorrect vario readings when circling in wind

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes, but only to show position on recording, reproducible without dev

Which aircraft are you using that experiences this issue?

Both official gliders - DG-1001 and Ls8-18

Brief description of the issue:

Vario needle and tone report incorrect strong lift when horizontal wind hits bottom side of the glider and strong sink when wind hits top side of the glider, thus when circling in steady ambient wind half of circle always shows strong lift and half of circle shows strong sink - strength is correleated to wind speed. This is obviously wrong as gliders is “submerged” in the wind, drifts with it, so relative to wind speed is 0, wind shouldn’t affect vario readings, vario should either show total energy change or rate of pressure change. According to the official gliding discovery video https://youtu.be/N7N9KSSZ8Es?t=308 much care has been taken by Asobo/FlightSimAG to model proper glider vario so I am a little bit baffled that such serious bug slipped through testing. I hope I don’t need to emphasize how critical for gliding is a properly functioning vario, so this issue is quite serious.

All credit for discovering this issue goes to GliderGuyBen & Acrux at Sim Soaring Club discord.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://youtu.be/RghMyBszRuU

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

As shown in video - I used clear weather preset and increased wind to 7.7m/s (which MSFS increases to 30 knots at that alt) to increase visibility of the issue, fly over water to make sure no ridge lift is present, enabled 3d thermals vis to show no thermals were present. Note glider heading relative to wind on the VFRMap - wind is from west - when glider does northern part of the circle it shows bottom side to the wind which causes fake lift vario reading, when it starts southern part of the circle it shows top side to the wind which causes fake sink reading - please observe that altitude reading as expected shows steady descend as expected in such steady weather (clearly contradicts vario readings). At 1:28 I start flying north to show when neither bottom nor top is exposed to wind the readyings are correct (slow descend), but as soon as I start turn to right I got fake significant lift reading (bottom exposed to wind) and as soon as I start turn to the left I got fake significant sink readings.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Does not matter

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX11

Are you using DLSS?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This possibly affects the dynamics of more than just gliders so should be looked at
Voted

1 Like

In some defence, this is an issue of just vario instrument readings, not dynamics (in sense flight dynamics) of gliders or other aircraft, nevertheless realistic readings from vario are critical for proper gliding.

2 Likes

Hoping both default gliders get a massive update. They are very hard to make any sence of in the way a rl glider should act in the air. Not sure who tested them before release but these two gliders would put any new glider pilots off flying gliders at all

Just a note - I did retest on SU12 (1.31.22.0) the issue is still present so please do not close it until it really gets fixed.

Some other important gliding related issues were prematurely closed without proper fixes - like DG-1001 tail wheel provides no lateral stabilisation on ground, glider "dances" on ground and Too small distances between thermals suitable for gliding which both are far from fixed and closing them prevents further feedback.