Did Microsft intentionally leave out Dallas in order to sell future DLC in MarketPlace?

Okay this has to be said… Ever since Flight Simulator 1995 there has been the Dallas Reunion Tower and other prominent Dallas skyscrapers… But now, over a quarter CENTURY later, it doesn’t even exists anymore in the latest and greatest Flight Simulator 2020…

Is this intentionally paving the way for the likes of Orbx to come out with subpar quality cities/content and charge us exorbitant prices for something that has already existed since 95? If so, this practice is worse and more unethical than a publicly funded and paid for highway being converted to a tollroad that overcharges even after it was paid off with tax payer monies!

We bought FS95, 98, FS2004, FSX etc and forget the fact that Microsoft didn’t grandfather us in, forget the fact that alpha testers didn’t get a free copy of the game like promised (“something special”) and forget the fact that Bing maps was supposed to include DFW which is one of the largest metroplex areas in the world, but now we have gone backwards and have actively LOST content to something that we used to have and that we have already paid for and they want to make us shell out the big bucks for the privilege of being effectively extorted yet once again?

I live in the DFW region,

we were pitched the whole this is the ultimate sim so great that you can even “ go find your house … but now everytime I take off from DFW airport I see the entire Dallas is missing and all the iconic skyscrapers and towers that exists SINCE FS 1995 are now suddenly gone!!! …

Dallas/DFW is central hub for American Airlines, Dallas is also headquarters to Southwest airlines, and the IT industry is booming in DFW region with many moving in from East coast, West coast and Florida to the north Texas region… the fact that they didn’t do KDFW international airport, entirely left out all of downtown Dallas etc things that exists since 1995 back more than 2 decades ago when Pentium 75Mhz was considered state of the art is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Some people here seem to think I’m expecting Microsoft to “hand craft” Downtown Dallas, which I am not!

Fact is, Fort Worth, a much smaller city next to Dallas, already has photogrammetry within FS2020 but Dallas even in the downtown areas has NOTHING…

Fact is, Bing maps have had fully 3D and full photogrammetry of Dallas and especially the downtown Dallas area for YEARS if not Decades already… I know because I work in downtown Dallas and have often used Bing maps (not to be confused with Google maps which I also use) in the past and it has always existed

As far as the DFW international AIRPORT goes (not to be conflated with the Dallas downtown area city) I knew that it wasn’t going to be handcrafted but what I did NOT expect was the major taxiways to be full of cars, trucks, 18 wheelers ON THE TAXIWAY! This is something that never happened in any other previous versions of Flight Simulator before…

Why am I paying $120 for a Premium Deluxe game and shelling out for DLC only to find out the airport next to me, one of the largest and busiest international airports in the WORLD, not only isn’t rendered correctly but even the taxiways has public traffic crossing all over it!

Can Microsoft confirm or deny, officially, whether or not they will ever fix the Dallas issue that they left out, or confirm or deny whether or not they will later at future date sell Dallas area as DLC or offer their Orbx partners the chance to sell Dallas area as DLC and otherwise if we don’t buy the DLC then we will forever be left with a void where a basic/standard version of Dallas should have been…

There is no “conspiracy theory”… the facts are the facts…

The real question is what will Microsoft do? If they do come out with Dallas DLC and if we never get a basic baseline for Dallas UNTIL/UNLESS we shell out money for the Dallas region DLC, then the totality of the circumstances leads to the inference that Microsoft is coming from bad motive with evil intent, this is not “conspiracy” anything…

Also Bing maps have had 3D data for downtown Dallas for a LONG TIME… this is no excuse!

Forget about FINDING MY HOUSE

I cannot even FIND MY TOWN!

12 Likes

Washington, Paris, London, Tokyo, there al plenty of important cities without photogrammetry, it is most likely a Bing limitation that a voluntary decission on their behalf.

8 Likes

But Fort Worth has the photogrammetry why not Dallas?

For that matter why I paid $120 USD and KDFW isn’t even a handcrafted airport and there are cars on the taxiways at DFW? Seriously what the heck Microsoft…

Dallas/DFW is central hub for American Airlines, Dallas is also headquarters to Southwest airlines, and the IT industry is booming in DFW region with many moving in from East coast, West coast and Florida to the north Texas region… the fact that they didn’t do KDFW international airport, entirely left out all of downtown Dallas etc things that exists since 1995 back more than 2 decades ago when Pentium 75Mhz was considered state of the art is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

3 Likes

Same happens in Spain, Pamplona, a small city, has photogrammetry but Bilbao or Tenerife don’t, it is random, it is Bing maps the one who decides what to take pictures from, not Asobo.

It was vrey clear from the start which were the 40 detailed airports included, if you bought without reading that is your fault man.

12 Likes

Well, it was awfully convenient that Orbx were wheeled out as partner for the sim, London was missing very prominent features yet Orbx were right there on release with their London Landmarks bag of nails addon to sell. Hell of a coincidence that right, or not, so your Dallas theory has merit. If MS and especially Orbx think I’m going to fork out for their overpriced and substandard addons to fill gaps if they are intentionally left out by MS then they are sadly mistaken.

7 Likes

Perfectly acceptable, this is a simulator for the world, not just Texas. They can’t do every airport. I guess they just figured that LAX KSFO KDEN and others from round the world were just more important.

9 Likes

Well in terms of Landmarks I think there will be plenty of usermade content over time. The tools allredy work. And Landmarks are not made by Bing, they are handmade by Asobo or ORBX too.

Fort Worth, a much smaller city right next to Dallas (and part of the larger DFW metroplex) does have photogrammetry but yet Dallas does not… This makes no logical sense whatsoever and nothing was ever stated that would have given a reasonable mind the permissible inference that Dallas wouldn’t be included… Everything here runs contrary to common sense and the basics of logic…

Your blaming the customer and setting the narrative that it is somehow Microsoft that has become the victim and other similiar statements and positions of like sentiment does not comport and is inconsistent with the fact that in FS2020 there is exactly one and only one building in the entire downtown Dallas region that is “handcrafted” and that is DallasMavs/AmericanCenter

Also Bing maps have had 3D data for downtown Dallas for a LONG TIME… this is no excuse!

3 Likes

Microsoft had said in the past that they knew 3rd party developers would put stuff out there, and they didn’t want to put them out of business. So while they might not have intentionally picked Dallas to leave out, they did knowingly not craft a bunch of cities. They also can’t though, they just don’t have the resources, and they would always be leaving someone out.

2 Likes

Are you even reading?
They have to send planes to take those pictures, a lot of photogrammetric cities are quite small, it is not illogical at all.
I am blaming the customer because you said you bought it because you wanted a specific airport to be detailed, and that airport was not in the list. If you bought the most expensive version without reading (again) what it included that is totally your fault.

New cities will be included in the future with photogrammetry, just don’t make a scene because of that.

10 Likes

See my response above, they handcrafted ONE single building and left everything else out

But even Fort Worth, a much smaller city right next to Dallas, has basic level of photogrammetry but yet Dallas does NOT.

But Bing maps have had entire Downtown Dallas region in full 3D for YEARS…

There is only one logical conclusion, M$FT intentionally left out Dallas on PURPOSE

I really don’t think the said “let’s leave Dallas out”. I think they just said “we can’t do a bunch of cities, so let’s just pick a few big ones”. I mean, I guess we’re splitting hairs. But Dallas is far, far from the only one left out. In fact, it’s somewhat down on the list of cities I would say need to be detailed first.

6 Likes

Some people here seem to think I’m expecting Microsoft to “hand craft” Downtown Dallas, which I am not!

Fact is, Fort Worth, a much smaller city next to Dallas, already has photogrammetry within FS2020 but Dallas even in the downtown areas has NOTHING…

Fact is, Bing maps have had fully 3D and full photogrammetry of Dallas and especially the downtown Dallas area for YEARS if not Decades already… I know because I work in downtown Dallas and have often used Bing maps (not to be confused with Google maps which I also use) in the past and it has always existed

Microsoft INTENTIONALLY went out of its way to leave out photogrammetry for Dallas on PURPOSE
for evil motives

1 Like

I mean, believe what you want, but saying it over and over doesn’t make it true.

8 Likes

As far as the DFW international AIRPORT goes (not to be conflated with the Dallas downtown area city) I knew that it wasn’t going to be handcrafted but what I did NOT expect was the major taxiways to be full of cars, trucks, 18 wheelers ON THE TAXIWAY! This is something that never happened in any other previous versions of Flight Simulator before…

Why am I paying $120 for a Premium Deluxe game and shelling out for DLC only to find out the airport next to me, one of the largest and busiest international airports in the WORLD, not only isn’t rendered correctly but even the taxiways has public traffic crossing all over it!
Then the Dallas Reunion tower, something that has exists in each and EVERY previous version of Flight Simulator since 95 has now in 2020 just miraculously disappeared like magic!

Perhaps a few here would like to visit http://conspiracytheories.com/

Great web site.:frowning:

11 Likes

Bottom line,

Can Microsoft confirm or deny, officially, whether or not they will ever fix the Dallas issue that they left out, or confirm or deny whether or not they will later at future date sell Dallas area as DLC or offer their Orbx partners the chance to sell Dallas area as DLC and otherwise if we don’t buy the DLC then we will forever be left with a void where a basic/standard version of Dallas should have been…

There is no “conspiracy theory”… the facts are the facts…

The real question is what will Microsoft do? If they do come out with Dallas DLC and if we never get a basic baseline for Dallas UNTIL/UNLESS we shell out money for the Dallas region DLC, then the totality of the circumstances leads to the inference that Microsoft is coming from bad motive with evil intent, this is not “conspiracy” anything…

You’re awfully fixated on Dallas. And to be frank, it’s probably not high on their list of places to “fix”. What will Microsoft do? Probably nothing. They don’t have the time or resources to worry about one of what is hundreds of cities that don’t have true modeling done.

Hold on to your evil motives if you like…but it’s your $120 you spent.

5 Likes

I live in the DFW region,

we were pitched the whole this is the ultimate sim so great that you can even “go find your house… but now everytime I take off from DFW airport I see the entire Dallas is missing and all the iconic skyscrapers and towers that exists SINCE FS 1995 are now suddenly gone!!! …

Yet I’m the unreasonable one… hmmmmmmmm

2 Likes

The whole “find your house thing” was more of an internet/user thing. The only thing you can do at this point is get in line amongst the other people that don’t have accurate cities and keep not enjoying the game.

Or move on and enjoy the game for what it has. Or go back to the old sims.

9 Likes