Disable "VR Walls" for better camera positioning?

Is it possible to disable this walls ? In the cessna 172 im always sitting a bit false but cant correct it …

2 Likes

I would assume you know it already, but hit the “space” key to center yourself in cockpit. Lean to the right if you want to be placed more to the left and so on. Or use arrow keys (+alt). Don’t know what you mean with VRwalls though.

yes of course i know how to recenter. I mean if it is possible to turn off the cockpit walls (the invisible cockpit walls) that i can use the keyboard arrows to find the perfect seating position. In Xplane 11 it was possible by editing an textdocument i remember.

I’m not sure what you mean by “invisible cockpit walls.” For me there are no walls, only the instrument panel in front, the doors on the left and right, the cockpit ceiling above, the seat and floor below, and, if I turn around, the rest of the cabin behind. Can you clarify what you mean?

1 Like

Some planes don’t allow you to get into the correct position by using the arrows, the invisible walls/ceilings will not allow it or even influence your position while trying to get to the perfect seating position. This is mainly a problem when trying to adjust the seat height and how far forward/backward you are within the cockpit.

The only workaround I discovered is to duck a bit while pressing “space” to be able to get a little higher in the cockpit, but it can be a pain to get into the correct position in some planes.

I’m still not understanding these “walls” you’re talking about. For me, the arrow keys (and the Alt key) let me move up, down, forward and backward as long as I keep holding the key. I can even move myself out of the cockpit entirely to sit on the wing, tail, or ride the cowl like Slim Pickens. I can even move myself down to look at the plane from underneath to check out the undercarriage. The only direction I can’t move is diagonally.

Can you give an example of an aircraft in which this is not possible?

I am always able to go through any ‘walls’ in VR, I can position myself 10 feet left from the pilot seat in the open air if I want to

1 Like

okay that is weird.

For me it`s not possible to go outside the airplane with “alt” and the arrows keys. That is what i was trying to explaine you. For me the movement of the camera stops when reaching the “end” of the cockpit … maybe i set something in options wrong or so idk

i have the same exact problem .And it happened after SU7

I’m hoping this was something somehow capped by mistake.
A huge part of simming for me is to be able to do walk arounds before entering the aircraft.
I can no longer use eyepoint controls to leave the cockpit and explore aircraft interiors or move the eye point camera outside to walk around the plane or world environment .
That was the best thing to do in VR for me.
I hope we can find a fix for this and before anyone harps on “just using the drone camera” NO it is not the same as walking eyepoint exploring

MSFS leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to “Views” especially in VR. A first person walk around mode similar to what we have in almost all games would give an extra immersive touch and should be easy to implement. Drone view is indeed not sufficiant.

Yes. Yesterday I was shocked when in the Diamond DA40 I couldn’t move through the walls. It’s a first for me. Normally I can move through walls, seats, ceilings etc. and position myself anywhere. But some of the aircrat now don’t let me move through obstacles while most still do. It’s only since SU7.

What’s even more weird is I was also able to rotate my body position like I can in 2D mode or with the drone camera. After pressing control-0 to get the toolbar working I accidnetally pressed the rotate commands, which never work in VR, and my body position rotated while in cockpit view. That’s new and I liked it although while playing with this I got a CTD.

1 Like

Yea it’s weird some of my addon aircraft work as far as having no eyepoint boundaries but addons like the CRJ are now affected by this change.
Hmmm I’m wondering if this was implemented by Asobo to mask and prevent the VR “cockpit cabin only” partial model LOD rendering shortcuts taken to ease performance load(rendering whole max lod external aircraft model + interior taxes VR/ stereoscopic 3D performance as it has to render twice)
As for the view rotation it was something I’ve always wanted because sometimes the forward eyepoint view can feel off centered and “recenter vr” function doesn’t help and swiveling my chair just makes it off worst.
Strange changes indeed…
Ive tried the eyepoint boundaries before and after the ctrl 0 fix and the boundaries are there regardless.
Gonna look through the aircraft camera cfg.txt of the planes that still allow full eyepoint freedom to see if there is something in common with maybe LOD model or camera angle values.

I must apologize for my previous comments. I tried moving beyond the confines of the VR cockpit for the first time since SU7 and found exactly what you’ve been talking about. Why this is no longer possible is a mystery to me. One more thing to get frustrated about I guess.

Hi, I noticed that problem also since SU7. In the C172 I can’t get high enough in the cockpit, because I’m hitting the “wall” which is a good amount lower than the celling.

How you guys deal with the problem (also since SU7) that when you adjust your seating position with the commands for forward, left, right, up, etc. inside the cockpit, that when you switching to outside view and back to the cockpit the position is set back to default again?

Same problem for every plane in the sim.
Cockpit walls cannot be passed through anymore in VR as before.
It was enjoiable to look outside bypassing doors and ceiling…
Hope Asobo remove this fix…

i was trying to remove whole glass window, but didnt succeed yet. I only managed to get rid of scratches and fingerprints. I use Extra 330 for VR. Here is the topic: How to disable cockpit windows? - #10 by tomlaut1980

And what exactly has this to do with this topic?
Nobody here want to get rid of glass windows.

Just confirming I have the same irritating issue with Pipistrel Virus, that has a massive wing spar on the ceiling of the cockpit. One can position the eye point in front of that, below it or behind it and nothing really corresponds real life pov, of which I have plenty of experience.

Also the view keeps resetting if I change it to something else (instrument views, external view) and come back.

Any advice from the gurus here how to modify some configuration file to eliminate this artificial limitation?

Basically you have to save a new view then edit camera.cfg for the particular aircraft then back in sim you will be in VR you activate that view (modified) that will throw you to location as per your modified cfg file then you can move freely.

Saved Views do not work in VR if you use HomeCockpit for toolbar Vr fix
I use Ctrl+0 so it works fine

Hope that helps if not let me know what aircraft you are having problem with I try check it out myself.