Disappointed in Sim Update 5

X-Plane already came out and said there will be no ortho/photogrammetry in next version of X-Plane. However they are putting together some pretty massive improvements in terms of graphical fidelity. I think the real deciding factor is how well they can integrate their OSM data using autogen to create a world that is as close to realistic as possible. It sounds like much of the other areas, (weather, lighting, environment, of course flight models) are already going to be nailed. Very interested to see what they put out.

2 Likes

Sorry to say but realistic looking scenery is not top 1 priority for flying enthusiasts. And x-plane is only about flying, these guys are pilots since 20-30 years sometimes. But sure they will improve scenery, however only because they have to.

Realistic scenery is in fact up there in importance, especially for VFR flight simmers. Not really sure what type of point your trying to make.

6 Likes

I doubt if any progress will occur, the Xbox is probably the #1 priority for MS, and the rest of us, “PC -VR,” will be left in the dust even though we, the flight sim community, kept this thing afloat for so many years.

For me as a VFR pilot (mostly) the game is broken after this downgrading SU5.
I do not fly anymore, because its so ugly to watch outside.
They have to fix this damage as quick as they can, but they dont.
So its a shame for Asobo.

4 Likes

So now that we know of the upcoming LOD changes and color changes and altitude bug fixes coming in the next hoftix AS WELL AS on Aug 24, this is a big step in the right direction. Hope everyone takes the time to read the update from Jayne. Fingers crossed everyone!!

3 Likes

I haven’t tried mine yet I was worried about this

This and the next HOTfixes wont bring back the excellant visuals to the PC.
This wont fix the downgrading.
This will be only a slightly better look, bud not the right thing they have to do.

The Xbox stuff broken the game, and it will still be there in future.

2 Likes

And you know all of this because???

1 Like

Interestingly, they say that the washed-out appearance is a side affect of trying to improve clouds. Improve clouds? It’s everyone’s opinion that the clouds look much worse. No one has opined that they’ve been “improved.” Could he be talking about attempts at improvement that were abandoned because they chose instead to deprecate cloud realism? I’m confused.

3 Likes

unfortunately, whatever code they removed has really destroyed the expereince, i’ve spent about 3-4hrs on the sim in total since the update… before i was spending about 4x that per week i’d say. my saitek throttles work fine still, and so do my thrustmaster rudder pedals - but the yoke… just a expensive doorstop now.

1 Like

If they changed the car you already bought and paid for without your permission then yes it would be illegal.

Just found out - the CTDs were and are my main issue, but still beyond that issues - that the LOD changes affects 3rd party airports as well.
Now I have disappearing buildings, jetways, towers, lamp posts, ground clutter,…
So according the SDK devs have now to build in different LOD versions of their objects to function correctly. I wonder how many of them will do that, and how many of my addons will remain broken beyond repair.
Its just a joke, right?

2 Likes

Hoping this hotfix fixes the TAA too, as it was fine before this update.

5 Likes

Improved cloud performance for xbox cash grab they meant

2 Likes

I guess they will fix it eventually, but it could take some time.

I’m disappointed too, and really hope we can get back to where we were. I’ve spent many hours in Blender and Photoshop fine-tuning models for my local city (Glasgow) and was getting ready to start on an airport project, but truthfully I’m feeling somewhat demotivated because of the drastic drop in default scenery quality. Here’s the River Clyde, before and after the update (ultra settings). The custom models are the same, of course, but to the sides you can see barren areas where there once were trees. The ground textures and some of the buildings have also taken a hit. I couldn’t get the lighting to match up very well, but you get the idea. Flying over the surrounding towns is disheartening - looks somewhat post-apocalyptic.

15 Likes

Couldn’t agree more it’s awful! and I believe they are concentrating on the Xbox version and not bothered about PC gamers otherwise why release such a terrible update, they must know surely!

3 Likes

Thats true xbox is where the Money ist and 2 different builds are to expensive for them…

great example of the state of update 5, thank you for sharing!

4 Likes