Disappointed in Sim Update 5

I tried the LoDFactor mod and it works to bring back the LOD.
But it caused CTDs on my rig so I stopped using it.
There is another hack to mitigate the washed out colors:

EyeAdaptation 0
ColorGrading 0
Sharpen 0

This one did not produce any CTDs on my rig.

1 Like

Here’s my list of nuisances:

• Clouds often look like watercolor paintings - on ULTRA!
  • Pink and green hue in clouds under certain lighting conditions
  • Artefacts on cloud edges, morphing permanently
  • Lighting too bright on SDR monitor
  • Flickering lights around trees in dusk
  • Right mouse button blocks controls
  • Menu thingy always visible
  • CTD’s, probably addon scenery related, but lots of them. Didn’t have one in months before.
  • Scenery popping when looking around

And this list stems from just three flights (and some attempts with CTD) yet. I definitely dislike SU5, I’d rather name it DG5 (like DownGrade)

8 Likes

Yes, I actually prefer planning waypoints manually. What are these “TimeClimb” waypoints for? You have to fly straight for 3nm after taking off just to keep the flight plan active, no matter what is ahead of you? Take Princess Juliana airport - you need to turn left or right immediately after taking off. If you follow “TimeClimb” there, you’ll end up in the mountains.

I don’t get it why these are suddenly “mandatory” waypoints on every flight.

2 Likes

My X52 pro works OK but when I pan around using the hat key, the mouse disappears meaning the aircraft become virtually unflyable. No logic behind it at all.

Yeah. I’m sure my i-9, GTX3070, and 64GB of ram is the problem…Maybe my 165hz monitor is causing the problems… Weird. Cause it wasn’t causing problems a week ago…

Are you a Dev or something? You seem very intent on dismissing anyone who says the new update is causing problems… Which, again… Just open your eyes and read some threads.

4 Likes

Speaking of telling the truth, what in the world is your basis for stating as fact that “A small proportion of users has a problem?”
To me, from what I can gather here and on YouTube comments, it’s you who’s most likely to be the disinformation spreader here. And even it is only 25% or 40% or whatever, when the problems they have are so severe that the program becomes unusable, it’s more than fair to advise folks to stay away for a while. In actuality, I think that saying that 90% of users find MFS annoying now is closer to the truth. I don’t think ANYone has “absolutely no problems.” Perhaps you’re referring to folks to have significant problems but don’t care to write about it. This downgrade ruined the immersive quality of photogrammetry and real-to-life scenery for just about everyone other than those PC users who were struggling with 10-yr-old hardware before SU5 — i.e., those who have no frame of reference for discerning the severe problems.

4 Likes
ColorGrading 0

makes all blurry and washed colour on my lcd, I need to set 1

Thanks. I did not notice that on my setup.

It’s just all so frustrating. Just watching YouTubers rave over the Xbox version. This updated was clearly made to cater to Xbox players sitting on their couch and looking at the scenery from the outside view. It’s much harder to notice culling when you’re just flying from outside. They thought the new lighting would look pretty to these new players. I just want my sim back.

3 Likes

I agree with what @UncleTbag91319 has said.
The 50:1 can easily be justified just by looking at the 1.18.14.0 feedback thread.
Even the MSFS subreddit which has been mostly positive yesterday after the influx of Xbox players who didn’t see a baseline from previous releases so far, is steadily shifting to more negative after todays hotfix.

Any no, my issue is certainly not hardware related - GTX 3080, 32GB, 5Ghz OC’ed 8700k.
I had fully working sim last week that looked amazing and now have a version which I don’t want to boot up anymore out of frustration, despite this being my holiday week. Even if you don’t see pop ins or any graphical downgrades - you can’t dismiss the other bugs which remain present (e.g. temperature at high altitudes, USB freezes, CTDs (just look at how few streamers there are streaming after SU5 and how many have crashed mid flight today), etc.

And what we should not forget: We are part of the top couple of percent that communicate on the MSFS forums, exchanging workarounds (such as the .cfg edit) to get to pre SU5 levels. There less computer literate people out there that are currently sitting on a Friday evening frustrated out of their minds trying to get a flight completed from A to B (majority don’t even care about graphical fidelity).

All I can and want to ask the devs for is for clear communication - acknowledgement of the PC issues and a way forward. Mistakes happen - I just want to know if it is worth my time to stay with MSFS for the time being or not as I personally believed them every step of the way until now.

3 Likes

Well, here’s a little bit of GOOD news for the thread

Was finally able to complete a full IFR flight with an ILS landing. (Caravan 208B)

Gate to gate. No CTD. First time in a week!!!

1 Like

I’ve said it a thousand times. It’s the community that makes a game.

And all you guys that are already coming up with workarounds to get some resemblance of SU4 back to all of us… Rock stars.

1 Like

If I may ask @HDYves
Like you I have an OCd 8700k and a less capable graphics card than yours.
I have a question related to performance:
Did you manage to get to 30FPS+ on busy airports with glass cockpit GA aircraft and airliners prior to this update? And if so at what display resolution?
This is the only area were I was bogged down, limited by mainthread.
Thank you.

Cynical, I’ve appreciated your mature attempts to calm the troubled waters on this and other threads regarding SU5. I’m quite serious about that, but it’s time to give it a rest here. Usually, there will be a disproportionate number of DISsatisfied users/customers on forum threads because the satisfied ones don’t even look at the forum, let alone post about their pleasure and satisfaction. But in this extreme case, it’s looking like you are incorrect in your assertions that folks should not complain bitterly because you and a scant few others appreciate this update. It’s a total disaster, even if not all users are affected. For example, what if Chrysler released a car with wheels that fell off in traffic on 10% of them. Would you counsel being calm and quiet for fear that others might be dissuaded from buying Chryslers? Well that’s the situation here, except for the fact that the wheels are falling off most of our cars. It may be time for you to stand down on this one.

4 Likes

I know there’s a lot of unease about some of the results with Sim Update 5 and the HOTFIX that followed quickly in it’s footsteps.
All that can be said at this point in time is; it’s a cross-platform branch launch that was bound to have both positive and negative impacts for all simmers everywhere - as it does on multiple gaming platforms and, indeed, across software roll-outs on all levels.

I would, at this moment in time suggest caution and pause before condemnation.
Asobo and MS have demonstrated a commitment to the sim that is MSFS 2020 in bucket loads through reaching out on all platforms and by regular updates.
For those of us on high-spec PC’s - yes, it’s frustrating to seem that we’re losing fidelity with high-end graphics and not being able to unleash full and unrestrained hardware - for which good money has been spent, etc - but, a cross-platform publish is just that - and it’s always going to be slightly messy.

I would counsel waiting, patiently - the most advanced Flight Simulator for home PC - by some considerable margin I would add - and Console is not yet a year old and there’s a team behind it who have time and time again demonstrated a hard commitment to making it the best possible experience.

Possess yourselves of patience, play a longish game (literally) and I have a feeling it is going to pay off mightily.

Fly safe.

4 Likes

Same as you - limited by main thread prior to SU5. I would say hardly more than 30 FPS on busy airports in airliners with glass cockpit refresh rate set to low. Display resolution is 2k (1440p) on a 240hz GSync monitor. While the performance has definitely improved, but I do not like the trade off in terms of overall graphical fidelity and stability.

Edit: On Ultra settings without cfg edit

1 Like

Thank you. I was reaching the mid 20s in this most demanding scenario, with some stutter and occasional dips in the high teens with airliners but only @1080p.
Everything else was way above the 30fps mark.
Edit: also on Ultra settings except LOD and Terrain details at 100.

The problem is that they had promised they would absolutely not do that with MSFS 2020.

You can look up the statements that were made 2 years ago that they were making this for PC first and not making any compromises for the XBox. It was said it was actually supposed to be the other way round: bring the quality of PC flight simming to the XBOX.

If they now switch to pre 2019 “we make an XBOX game that you can also install on the PC and hey sure you also buy 1500$ worth of addons for it as you used to on your ‘obsolete’ sims” then flight simmers will never believe them again.

It’s still possible there is a compromise but right now this is not cool at all. Days ago I had a sim that I liked and also fps that were good. Now I have an experiment where I am supposed watch how the scene is built right in front of my eyes.

It is of course possible that they did all the work and testing on the XBOX and the PC will get their attention back when things have settled again. But I already had a long break from MSFS in winter when there were no planes. Now I will have to take a second break until September or so. It is not the way I can operate forever that I can play 2 months and then have to take a 3 month break.

2 Likes

I have a 2070S running in my PC and the graphics are downed in quality since SU5. Very happy with perfo-improvement, but with a very big quality sacrifice.

3 Likes

there needs to be an option to switch this off.

3 Likes