Discussion: E3 Announcement

Yes, all true. Agree. But not 3 times the performance. MSFS will run 30fps locked at 4k on Xbox presumably on Ultra (we do not know if this is the same ULTRA as on PC). My current PC runs at similar fps (25-50). Given that my current PC is about 30% faster than Xbox, that is the performance gain you can realistically expect.

2 Likes

As much as I’d like to, I’m not going through a years worth of dev updates…LOL. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Or better yet, I’ll concede. You win. o7.

Well i don’t think they will sell anywhere near 2 million copies on Xbox. Steam alone has 120 million active monthly users and there aren’t that many consoles. Also the flightsim community on PC are often older people with jobs who literally spend thousands of dollars on scenery addons and peripherals. MSFS will help promote the console but the main market for the simulation genre is PC. The point of simulation games is that you can go in-depth as you progress into the hobby.

1 Like

Anybody know where this is?

4 Likes

Suwanosejima (RJX8), Japan. Handcrafted by Gaya for World Update Japan… there is a highly detailed volcano behind (Looks like 1m DEM)

4 Likes

Thanks! Good question. I don’t believe I have a solve for your question, but related to it, here is a topic you might want to check out to see if you agree with: Open up communications with Reality-XP

Thank you!

1 Like

If you can’t shoot down other live players with this expansion and there are no large explosions, I’m pretty sure that most gamers won’t last 3 weeks, let alone 3 months. No pew pew, no play.

5 Likes

Good spot, I recognized the rocks but couldn’t place it.
Quick search in my tour by ICAO code and there it is

It looks like they fixed the floating rocks issue and what a difference carefully chose time and weather conditions can make!

And yep, pretty nice volcano (from the right angle)

Kerema Airport (ROKR) also has some excellent detail

2 Likes

That’s because your Microsoft account only gives you access to the Marketplace content, but the transaction I.e. proof you purchased the DLC is tied to the platform MSFS is running in I.e. Steam or Microsoft Store.

I know that’s not ideal but that’s my understanding, please somebody chime in if that’s incorrect.

1 Like

30FPS is the target framerate on consoles, as expected, for all those expecting “4K60 @ Ultra”…

4 Likes

Hello,

I looked at the XBox Trailer and was wondering is that again such a beautifully set film or is what we are seeing really reproduced by an XBox? If this should really be an XBox film, I ask myself whether it is still worth buying high-end PCs and constantly looking for priceless graphics cards. After all, you get almost 3 XBoxes for a just sufficient graphics card. I can’t believe it must have been done with a PC. It would be nice to hear from Asobo how such a video is made and what hardware they use … I definitely don’t think an XBox!

Harry

I guarantee it is an xbox. There may be some video shenanigans in terms of generating the smoothness, maybe some post processing etc, but it will have come from an xbox.

1 Like

It’s actually called a deep fake video. These days they are able to put a real looking airplane in a real looking world landscape as if it is flying right there at that very moment. I think this should be forbidden because they are seriously endangering our ability to distinguish fantasy from reality.
Anyone else who’s as afraid as I am that sims will take over the world?

Anyhow, all my nonsense aside, I really hope that Xbox players will enjoy msfs after it’s launch August 27th as much as PC simmers do! Spread the wor(l)d!!!

2 Likes

As a few others have said in this thread Asobo have always been good at capturing the sim looking its very best, in terms of lighting and the way they frame the world. The trailer footage will have been captured on the new Xbox for sure but there will have been a bit of post processing going on to smooth things out (their trailers always looks blissfully smooth, like they’re captured at about 120hz) but also boost the general image quality a bit. All game trailers do this from my experience, its not unusual.

Anyway who knows what the sim is going to look like after all these much promised optimisations and graphic enhancements. It may actually look and perform like the trailers from now on.

Pretty much possible that the trailer was recorded on a PC…

Or with some technique like flying at 1/4 speed and accelerate the video x4 after for a better smoothness (i remember some editors did that in the past for promotional videos).

1 Like

could be. Its also possible that it was rendered in the engine with some tools. Same as the first Battlefield trailer where it says something like “In-Engine footage” which is not the same as running the actual game but prerenderig it in the engine. Who knows, doesnt matter in the end, how it will run in reality we will see on the release-day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no doubt that some enterprising soul will find a way, like creating a USB hub with the chip in, so any device can be plugged in to that instead. With any luck, at least. Personally, I would never buy into a closed system like that.

Can I use all my flight gear on that console? Can I run SPAD on it? Horses for courses.

They were! It wasn’t until about a week or so later that frame rates were “acceptable”. Paris was the same.

Anyone remember “24fps is just more cinematic” argument some console developers tried to make?

Look back at the runup to launch last August at the list of influencers pushing it on Twitch. How many of them have touched MSFS since? I expect to see some of them come back in the weeks leading up to the XBox launch, and history will repeat itself. I hope though that this launch sparks an interest in those that have never considered playing a flight simulator for anything other than blowing stuff up.

Sped up footage was what I saw on the runup to the August launch. You could tell by looking at the PFD, sometimes with a helpful view of a digital clock.

2 Likes

These days “Electronic Entertainment” just makes me think of Electroboom on youtube :rofl:

3 Likes