📸 Discussion: France/Benelux Screenshot Challenge for the NVIDIA 3080

So, now that the submission deadline has passed and while we wait for the final verdict, let’s discuss what you see in that thread.

What’s your favorite photo? Why?

There are some that stand out as exceptional pics. But we’re not sure what really they’re looking for.

Clearly having great hardware already is an advantage…

The challenge is based on “creativity”. We know most will not have high end equipment.

1 Like

There are so many amazing screenshots. These are my favorite ones

They are both creative and realistic (excellent choice of weather and time)

2 Likes

Yup exactly! Definitely some standouts!

1 Like

What is the final count of submitted images? Has anyone counted them?

hey thanks! glad you liked it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words! This made my day. Love your shot @cirurginn

2 Likes

love yours as well, great captures!

1 Like

476 posts with avarage of 3 creations is about 1400 photo’s :smile:

I saw several shots of poi’s that were already in the game before the World update IV. Like Mont St. Michel and the Atomium in Brussels.
Definitely a bunch of great images. It’s a lot of fun to explore the game this way and make some great shots for your desktop wallpaper :slight_smile:

The competition judges will have a very hard time deciding which screens are the most creative - there are 15 - 20 that are very beautiful and similar in terms of their ‘creativeness’!

It is a shame that a few beautiful shots with the Eiffel Tower will need to be discounted as this POI is neither new or part of the update and is not included in the list published as per the rules.

Best of luck to everybody! :slight_smile:

This is much to subjective to judge. As always, art lies in the eye of the beholder.

So for me every single entry that fits the rules is worth to win.

Of course I have my own favorites too and I hope for an creative jury that dont judge to plain and placative.

Good luck everyone!

I’m just amazed at the amount of screenshots of the Eiffel Tower people have posted, considering it actually doesn’t meet the requirements of being a POI from the world update… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think hardware isn’t so much an issue here as it is a still shot. So by hitting pause (set pause on, not active pause), judicious use of the slew controls, pick you weather, time of day a lighting and get the whole thing lined up. You can then crank up the settings as high as you want - the image isn’t moving so super low fps not an issue. Then take the screenshot. Only limitation is ultimate screen resolution - 4k, 2k, 1080p etc.

Some truly great pics though and great creativity.

1 Like

Can you explain this please?
As far as I can find there’s

• active pause (which is obviously terrible)
  • pause (which shows up all the settings menus for me, just like when pressing escape)

Is there a third pause? and if so, how can I find this in the bindings?

Some simply never read the rules… The amount of aircraft not in the sim or marketplace, places that arent POI’s etc… is crazy

1 Like

Ah yes, there is a “third pause”!

There are key bindings available for SET PAUSE ON and SET PAUSE OFF. Weirdly it’s not a toggle, so you need two keys/switches etc, but they are there. Search for PAUSE in the control mappings. This pause option does pretty much everything that active pause does, but it actually stops your aircraft. Hence you can leave this pause on for as long as you like without fear of the sim continuing to calculate the movement of your aircraft with potentiallly bad results. There are a couple of things to know:

• Time still doesn’t pause, even with this pause - so if you leave it for an hour, the sim time will advance an hour. You can work around this by moving time back when you return but, for example, in plane clocks etc still continue. You’ll be an hour late to gate :grin: . You can also work around this to a degree by lowering the sim rate to 1/4 speed. Time still advances, but 4 times slower

• Real time/AI aircraft and other things (ground vehicles, cars, clouds, weather) are not paused

• Switches, controls etc CAN all be used in the cockpit as normal - HOWEVER switches that move physically (e.g. a toggle switch) will not actually move/change position until you unpause the sim. Similarly some indicator lights won’t come on until you unpause. Example - if I press the enable AP switch, nothing will happen until I unpause, at which point AP will turn on and the indicator light will come on. Rotary controls are fine, as are softkeys or keys that interact with the G1000/3000/FMCs etc. If you are in a panic moment, you can easily hit the SET PAUSE ON key you’ve chosen - press the buttons you think you need to press. Press the SET PAUSE OFF button and the SET PAUSE ON again immediately - and all the controls and buttons you pressed will now move, be in the right position and you are paused again.

There is more info here on the different types of pause…

Awesome, thanks for the info.

1 Like

I’m normally a stickler for rules but even I’m guilty of missing that one! I’d not flown over France yet so wrongly assumed all the POIs around Paris were new, but not to worry; it was only 1 of 3 images.

I have called out some other rule infractions before, in the interests of fairness. The last competition a few weeks ago even had a screenshot from FSX in there amongst the many entries, would you believe? Amazing :laughing:

Anyway, inside or outside the rules, there were many incredible pictures this time around and I don’t envy the job of sorting through them, checking no-one has submitted more than three, and picking out a shortlist.