Discussion: January 21st, 2021 Development Update

Could that be the downward force caused by wingtip vortices? And if so, do they model the reduction of such forces during ground effect? It they do, but it is exaggerated like most other flight model effects, perhaps that would contribute to the tendency to unrealistically float during landing.

I doubt tip vortices are that strong and produce negative lift on a substantial part of the wing :sweat_smile:. Doesn’t even look like the plane is flying slow, seems to be cruising along. The angle of attack is not negative at the wingtip so the lift will never be negative I would think. There is less lift produced at the wingtip due to tip vortices but also wash-out or variable camber to make sure the root stall before the wingtip does.

1 Like

Hi @AndyXPO,

If you look at the Feedback Snapshot “Top Bugs”, it’s included with World Update 3 (UK).
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/blog-january-21st-2021-development-update/353738

3 Likes

Hello, In video, what means that 32 power threats? Are CPU threads? Then, physics are calculated in server with 32 threats?

They say there’s gonna be 5 new custom made airports but have they mentioned anything about fixing up airports with a ton of errors? Not expecting custom modelling everywhere but there’s a ton of airports in the UK with completely wrong parking spots eg. Bristol International only has some small and a handful of medium GA parking spots slapped randomly around the apron (and completely ignores the actual GA parking area to the south) with no spots for the Live Traffic Airbusses to actually park so they just vanish into thin air. (and I reported that on Zendesk like 6 months ago)

Maybe I miss something, but has “closed beta” been implemented yet? I didn’t found it on the top issues/wishes list.

The airport inaccuracies bugs me, too – especially the taxiway labeling issue. Since the taxiways don’t match the real life airport diagrams, it’s hard to figure out where to go if you use the sim ATC or external ATC network (PilotEdge and VATsim). This is partly because the sim tries to auto-generate taxiways for default airports that are not hand-edited.

The good news is that the SDK supports hand-editing airports, and third party airports demonstrate this. The ones I’ve tried have correct taxiways, parking spots, and labels.

So I don’t depend on Asobo to provide correct default airports. I think that will have to wait on third parties – payware or freeware – to do that. If they did provide good defaults for all the major airports, then that would cut into the market for third parties. So I expect that they will only provide a few free “showcase” airports to demonstrate what’s possible. And minor details may still be wrong, but at least we’ll eventually be able to buy faithful versions of those airports that bug us the most.

Personally, I plan to learn to do a few favorite (small) airports myself and wait for no one!

These updates continue to support the amount of dedication and work that the team has to this platform. I’ve not seen this amount of support on a core flight simulation platform in years. It’s welcomed, the connection to the community refreshing, and the work is truly making great strides forward for a platform already way ahead of its time.

15 Likes

100% this comment. Great work. Keep improving and listening to user feedback, Asobo’s attention and dedication to their customers is miles ahead of other platforms. I’m really enjoying the sim and excited for everything to come.

4 Likes

Still there at #4 on the wishlist :eyes:

It would be nice to rename some of the bug & wishlist entries to make the lists easier to read & understand, but I also realise that will make it harder to cross-reference the lists back to the original threads.

Lol my bad

Yeah, I’m really amazed of these world updates. They add a ton of content for free. 70 POI, 5 airports, 5 photogrammetry cities, all of those are additional content that most would charge money for!

4 Likes

That’s still not a totally fair comparison due to a multitude of reasons.

Do you have a source for that? Everything I have read so far says that a spin usually means one wing has stalled.

Edit: Just saw that you did have a source. Also, an interesting discussion: faa knowledge test - In a spin, are both wings stalled? - Aviation Stack Exchange

It was delayed for February 2nd

Do we know which cities have been updated? The Forth bridges next to Edinburgh look fantastic so really hoping Edinburgh is one of them. Would love to see Edinburgh airport too although I was hoping Orbx would have offered their version by now unless they are involved with this world update given they have a partner video due out next week.

There are a couple of things you can accurately test objectively without flight technical error.

1 Like

If I see the diagram drawn by the person in the first post I’m already done reading (a wing does not become a helicopter rotor in a spin :joy:). But well if you see the flightpath of an aircraft in a spin its not hard to visualize the angle of attack on both wings have exceeded the stalling angle by a considerable margin. Its unthinkable one wing is still flying, in that case I would expect the difference in lift would pull the aircraft into a spiral dive rather than a spin. Also on most aircraft you need to keep the yoke all the way in your stomach to prevent the aircraft from recovering itself, no doubt the aircraft is stalled in such a situation. Does seem the FAA and my EASA ATPL textbooks agree on this subject. According to the ATPL Oxford textbooks:

“the angle of attack of both wings is well above the stall angle” and “During the spin the wings remain unequally STALLED.”

It is interesting to see how much disagreement there can be even amongst pilots, also often the case on this forum. Everyone with a pilot license is a self proclaimed expert and “gods gift to aviation” :joy:. Often the subject is not completely black and white as there are many airplanes with many characteristics. If I read something I disagree with I usually first look it up again myself. Meaning you are 100% sure about something does not mean you are right. Often in discussions like this it is also a matter of definition.

To further illustrate using Cl and Cd graphs:

And yes I do realize that in my own drawing one wing is exactly on the Cl max. point or a-critical :joy:.

1 Like

You can download a great version of Edinburgh for free though right now (photogrammetry):

2 Likes

Thanks. I knew it had been partially done by another author but didn’t realise someone else had worked on it. I’ll check this out this weekend and great the bridges are separate since we know they will be in the next update.

1 Like