Discussion: March 25th, 2021 Development Update

It’s clear Asobo hasn’t figured it out. They’re grasping at low hanging fruit

1 Like

Which AI aircraft models do you think will come with the next world update? It would make sense to add the rest of the Airbus A320 family since it would mean the least additional memory usage right? They are essentially the same except for fuselage length and engines. It shouldn’t cost much performance but would greatly improve immersion for me.

That’s what it sounds like to me. Sounds like perhaps they fixed the stutterbomb black hole areas and perhaps smoothed out performance a bit for people seeing bad general stutters and inconsistent performance. But I feel those of us who are truly in unplayable territory due to singe digit frame rates all the time are going to be left out in the cold on this one.

1 Like

Where are you seeing they will be adding new AI in the next update?

The devs have a history of including changes behind the scenes that aren’t mentioned in the patch notes.

I’m waiting to see exactly what the update fixes/doesn’t fix. I’m not relying solely on what the update from yesterday says. I think we all would be wise to do the same and not jump the gun with our criticisms.

5 Likes

In recent Q&As when talking of the France / Benelux update, they’ve been talking of adding region-appropriate plane types and potentially liveries to the airports to increase realism starting with that update.

Whether they intend for those to be static, decorative set pieces or actual moving / flying models used by AI and Live Traffic was never specified.

1 Like

I work in Asia and fly to most Asian countries. It’s all very standard over here… :man_shrugging:

Have you tried a clean windows install and fresh install of MSFS 2020 yet? Have you tried swapping in another CPU yet?

Clean windows install + MSFS, yes. Did that on the weekend. Very marginal improvement at best. Still can’t sustain over 20 fps. Typically around 15 and spends a lot of time in single digits.

CPU swap, no. That’s not likely to happen until I can get my hands on a 5900X when they get back in stock at reasonable prices.

I’d be downright shocked if it was my CPU considering how it performs for everything else. Run fast and cool everywhere except MSFS.

MSAsobo should change the Minimum Hardware Requirements to include a key component that cannot be purchased: patience.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Guys I’m at work!! Is the patch out already?

No it isn’t out unfortunately at 4:28 Pm in Germany. I use the Steam Version of the MSFS 2020

Not sure if this is related but I went to the MS Store and asked for updates - got one for Xbox though no indication of what it’s about. I’ve posted elsewhere that I wonder if it’s server related, possibly a problem introduced with the mesh in WU3 and exacerbated in SU3? The note that they’ve done some work on the connectivity, to me, just enforces that thought.

Otherwise everything now ready for the update - past releases have been after 1600Z so another half an hour before I’ll try again.

Yikes, sucks the clean install didn’t help… I feel your issues are a lot worse then most people with stutters, it absolutely has to be a hardware issue then. it’s either some oddball compatibility issue, or a physical problem on your hardware.

It makes zero sense that many thousands of people are playing and enjoying MSFS and you get single digit frame rates with your setup.

since you told me a single core is pinned and the other cores do nothing when you are trying to fly I still tend to look at that CPU as being a problem. a lot of other games run with a single core decently and are even entirely programed for single core operation, you would still be able to run cinabench and other bench marks with a single core as well. so it may not be apparent right away… your CPU could even operate fine under lower power but under load may default to single core use. Maybe in MSFS’s coding somewhere you absolutely NEED at least duel or quad core performance to play at a reasonable frame rate. If your CPU is faulty and only capable of single core operation when the power to it increases then that could be a problem…

Not saying it is, but is it was me that is the next thing I would try ASAP.

Or maybe it is network related. Maybe the “fix is in”. I think I would just hold my breath until the update is completed. There have been plenty of users that see the CPU spike / GPU drop-off. This smacks of a code loop, waiting for info. If the server is sending bad packets, the CPU is going to keep trying to validate/toss/re-request until it gets the info it needs to be able to move to the next instruction.

I am ‘cautiously optimistic’ @Crunchmeister71, that you will see a significant improvement once the patch is loaded.

I doubt it.

I’ve had a similar experience, along with other regulars here: months and months of (relatively) smooth performance. Post SU3 nothing worked, until 48 hours ago. I changed nothing - hardware or software - and suddenly I can use the software again.

In the meantime, everything else I use this computer for runs just fine…

Something got broken, and MSAsobo has owned up to that.

Even Carenado responded to a Zendesk ticket I opened with this:

Carenado Support, Mar 23, 2021, 18:37 GMT-3:

Greetings,
The last MSFS2020 update have broken our aircraft, Asobo was already notified about this and they announced a fix in the next release, but it’s in their hands now.
Regards

Carenado

And as an aside, no other software I’ve ever used in this century has required multiple clean installs of the software every few weeks. And a complete re-install of the OS? Never, unless you go back forty years to the dark ages of MS-DOS. A hardware change? C’mon man…

2 Likes

This makes so much sense. It dovetails with my observations, but until you mentioned this last night, I wasn’t thinking “outside the box” - i.e. my own computer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could be that as well! Good point, it just seems @Crunchmeister71 has been experiencing worse issues for longer then most so I definitely think there is more to it then something Asobo did.

But yes definitely see if this patch helps… if not it’s back to the drawing board.

nothing wrong with troubleshooting.

the reality is the game is more then playable for a huge amount of people, on a massive variety of systems. I’ve seen @Crunchmeister71 hardware list and there is no way this game should run so poorly on that setup. Yes, Asobo will eventually fix all the compatibility issues over time, but who likes to just sit around and wait? And if there is a bigger issue Asobo may never be able to make his game work…

My thinking is, if other people are getting good frame rates and flying happily, I can definitely make my system or any system operate the same way. There has to be something. If everyone’s game was broken then ya there’s pretty much nothin you can do.

Actually, my issues are exactly the same as many other people experiencing these super low frame rates. Those of us experiencing this started seeing it with a large performance hit after WU3, and then another after SU3 that makes it unplayable. Unless you have dozens of people that suddenly had their CPUs go bad at the same time, it’s not a CPU issue. There are plenty of people reporting this exact sequence of events that led to their current performance. Or lack thereof. And we all have similar levels of performance and symptoms, regardless of hardware (AMD, Intel, nVidia combinations of all sorts).

I’ve been leaning towards a lot of issues being network related. And not my home network, nor my ISP, since my son also uses the same network for MSFS and sees none of the issues I do.

I’m hoping that’s the case and the patch fixes things. I can see if fixing some issues for sure. Not convinced by the scant info provided it will restore my pre SU3 performance though. I’d be happy just to regain my pre SU3 35fps. At least that was a pleasant flying experience. Still a far cry from the 45 pre WU3 and 50+ pre VR patch I was getting, but still enjoyable.