Discussion: March 4th, 2021 Development Update

You may have the answer right there in your comment. “Earth”. Games usually simulate a virtual fake world so it can be anything but when you are trying to simulate the Earth exactly as it is then there always will be imperfections.

Something can always break when changing something as complicated as world rendering. How will QA know that every square kilometer of the planet is still like real life including with the hundreds of scenery addons thrown in?

Understand the frustration but this is likely something that needs to be put up with in a 60 bucks game.

Development updates are frustrating to read, since they don’t really present a great deal of ‘this is whats in this update’ and are more geared towards this and every possible future update, how many things are in the market place and 10+ screenshots to sell me a game I already own.

Is there a list somewhere of whats updated in this release?

Not a big screenshot of what the wishes are and timelines of when they will be released, but more so a changelog of this update? So far all I can tell is the following 3 things are fixed:

G1000/3000
Live weather
Glowing aircraft

Is this correct?

9 Likes

Development updates are merely telling us what progress has been made in a number of different areas. Sim updates actually make changes to the sim and come with release notes.

These two types of updates are completely different.

I keep reading this over and over, where exactly did they say that? I only remember an early Feedback Snapshot saying that the grainy reflections will be fixed with DirectX 12, but later they backtracked on that, and in the latest Q&A they suggested that ray-tracing will be the true fix for the grainy reflections and shadows. But I haven’t heard them say anything about clouds and DirectX 12.

The sharpening filter was not tweaked, however the TAA method seems to be reverted back to the one we had before Update #5. This was probably the cause of the grainier clouds, but sadly they are avoiding being too specific in patch notes.

Along with your list, autopilot and aerodynamics improvements, as well as contrails.

I remember being told in a live Q/A that incorrect ATIS readouts will be fixed in sim update 3 as well. He responded directly to my question that was read out. He was a bit abrupt and just said “it’s coming, in sim update 3”. There is now no mention of that. Still a major bug in my view.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed this will be covered by their work fixing ‘Live Weather and Wind Readings Not Accurate’. There will be a lot more than 3 items on the change log when it’s released.

1 Like

Why can’t a development update, informing us that a sim update is very shortly inbound (the changes of which would be finalised or undergoing testing), openly shed some light on its content without having to dig through images of forum topics?

5 Likes

I’m really not sure this is the case at all. The TAA algorithm should have nothing to do with noise in clouds. Noise was most likely due to clipping some values when path tracing the occluders or just noise due to path tracing sampling errors in my opinion.

Not just clouds are affected with this type of noise and as a matter of fact, I did fly the G36 yesterday facing a rising sun and there was black speckles on the fuselage over the engine. You can see the same type of sampling error noise with shadows inside the cockpit from time to time as well.

In general I can relate the noise to anything in their code which is spreading computation over multiple frames (this saves computation time per frame but introduces noise until all frames are sampled)

1 Like

The community still has no idea what (hopefully) the next week’s sim update will be all about ! Dev updates should at least clearly list the outstanding issues to be updated in the next run instead of just releasing the latest version of the bugs and wishes voting tables.

2 Likes

The same ‘speck’ noise also occurs above and below your aircraft as you move the camera up and down in drone view, with tiny black particles scatter all around the aircraft. Some shadows and reflections as in the bridges are also affected badly and this has been so since the beginning.

2 Likes

Dear Sarpouli: As was already mentioned here, imho issuing release notes a week before release is not appropiate. The risk of pulling something out at the last minute for any reason and then having some people here gang up on Asobo with a “why isn’t that here; you committed to it, ……” is too high. Also, maybe there was somthing awesomly cool that they weren’t sure would be ready, but actually is included is another reason for not issuing release notes until the release. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Jummivana Hi Jayne,

The development update regarding Lack of Live AI Traffic bug still says Not Started, when I asked you about this you were very helpful and confirmed what Martial mentioned in the last Dev Q & A this was coming very soon. I’m confused by what Martial has said and the recent Bug List?

Can we get some definite clarification and update the Buglist please regards this issue.

Thanks

Kind regards

Duncan Odgers

1 Like

When the TAA was changed in 1.10.7.0, the grainy clouds and cockpit shadows appeared (especially obvious in the Icon A5). Now that the TAA was reverted, they are back to their state before Update #5, still grainy but not as obvious.

If it does not have to do with TAA, then why did World Update 3 bring back the old method, which was blurrier and less effective, especially considering they made sure to advertise an improvement in the patch notes? Turning off TAA reveals a lot more grain in clouds, shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections, which means all those rely on TAA for denoising.

It might not have to do with it entirely indeed, since Update #5 brought an undocumented change to the cloud system, but either way I think that TAA was the biggest culprit.

Yeah someone made a booboo I think - you’ll notice it’s under the March 11th header despite the date that follows the entry itself.

March 11th is when it’s expected.

I can show empathy, you’re definitely right. Tech business is so difficult nowadays, especially increasingly so, people’s, here we the simmers’, whims never end…

In general true. As a beta tester I had a version that had no problems with trees. I took a flight over our cottage which has a dock with our boat and a large white beach. This all come out perfect close to the real photo. After a couple of updates the beach was full of grown trees the cottage was covered with trees. I sent the previous picture and the updated picture to Asobo. The reply was they will look into it. Never heard from them again. The tree problem is still there. It could be that if they do not get repeated complaints from us they consider it fixed?

1 Like

I’m with you on that. I’ve owned so many software titles in my life (games, music production, business, etc. etc.) and NEVER seen so many bad updates. Even 1 update that breaks things that were already working is inexcusable.
Their intentions are good and, yes, it’s only a $60 “game” but give me a break!
Hopefully the Auto pilot issues will really be fixed this time, as is advertised, but after so many botched fixes, I have to have my doubts.
PLEASE don’t give me any more scenery until all that money and manpower goes into fixing the FLIGHTSIM specific problems!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.