Discussion: November 5th, 2020 Development Update

Hey Asobo – when is the North America update coming? Is that Update 6? If so, does this mean it might get delayed due to COVID?

Slated for end of this month. Standby

2 Likes

So happy to see Asobo update us even as the challenges and worry of a pandemic are happening. That we even have such a beautiful (virtual) world to escape to in this darkest of times is something I hope Asobo will know and that a great many people appreciate their hard work and the great happiness it brings.

14 Likes

Hi RoyalTot,

Any idea when the marketplace will be updated with new products?

Many thanks

Everyone is working from home these days. . What does COVID have to do with that.?

4 Likes

Please remove released items from the feedback snapshots allowing new ones to take their place.

11 Likes

Exactly ! They need to update bug/wish list regularly.

Has anyone had issues with hotkeys not working since the update? I installed the update a day ago, and since, my keyboard throttle controls don’t work. Also, the “g” key for landing gear has been touchy, Also, I can’t adjust my cockpit seat high and angle.

What’s strange about it? They weren’t aware of an issue, it was brought to their attention, they found the issue during the week and fixed it.

You almost seem upset that they fixed it. What’s the issue here?

3 Likes

6 months to fix the G1000!!! Planes that are barely flyable in their default state, untested patches that break things and they roadmap a lot stuff as TBD. Enough is enough. Having worked in service delivery and IT all my life if I delivered a half baked solution like this to our customers we’d be taken to court for fraud. Covid is no excuse. Most of Northern Europe is now 9 months into the pandemic and setup up to work from home. Its amazing how modders can fix things quicker than yourselves. Also aside from pretty screenshots can you please give a verbose/detailed log when you do deliver a service pack/patch, e.g. the last patch updated the default Lowi and caused an issue in Orbx Lowi. Would have been nice to know exactly what you updated there. The community here is really trying to be on your side but that goodwill can easily evaporate.

10 Likes

Looking forward to update 6. Updates 4 and 5 included lots of stuff not on the top list - mainly small quality of life fixes and improvements in lots of areas, so I’m hoping for more of the same in update 6.

I think there are a few issues with the top lists - especially bugs. The bug list is a list of big topic areas. Take a “simple” one like 4th on the list “Turboprop engine logic issues”. How many individual specific bugs are actually in there? 1? 3? 23? who knows right? So that sort of thing could sit there on the bug list for a long time before all of those are fixed and well after the main bugs are resolved if some of the less significant ones remain unfixed. Some topics are much broader and more expansive than that. The same is true of the wishlist.

Also, I very much doubt that everyone will have the same view as to when something is complete. Live weather issues, 9th in the list, is a case in point. It’s marked as partially fixed. A lot of the steam seems to have gone out of the live weather issues on the forums at least as far as I can see. So at some point Asobo need to say “it’s done”. But who knows when that will be and what changes need to happen for them to get there.

I do wonder if we should somehow break down the top bug list into the actual bugs rather than these big, broad topics. It would also help with the patch notes - they could say “we’ve fixed bug 1234” rather than “we’ve improved the turboprop engine logic”. Not sure how we would do that, but right now, I think the top lists are not especially helpful, at least in terms of a progress tracker (it is helpful to see what the forum is voting for).

There is also the issue of combining some of these topics - e.g. #3 and #18 look like essentially the same thing and you could potentially combine them with #2 and #9. Also how is #23 different to #1? It may well make to keep these separate and maybe they are very distinct, but to the casual observer, it isn’t at all obvious.

We also know that this this is not the complete list of what they are working on of course - we don’t see the zendesk tickets and we don’t see the feedback they gather from other forums and we don’t see what they are working on more gnerally that isn’t bug fixing.

So it is very difficult to really understand what is going on - hence why everyone thought update 5 had 2 things in it and turned out to be much bigger and updte 6 looks like it has only 1 thing in it.

2 Likes

Did you listen to the Q&A before the last one? They explained why they’ve changed their approach to the Garmins and why this will take some time. Suggest you watch the Q&As as you will get a lot from them and better understand what they are trying to do and why they are doing it this way.

1 Like

I do look at the Q&A and understand exactly what they are hoping to achieve. But my point is this should have been done before or very shortly after launch. 6 months later? They were well aware of these issues throughout the Alpha/Beta test stage. However it is what it is. At least the modders are greatly enhancing/ fixing what is either broken or undone. For sure from an atmospheric and visual standpoint it is the best. But at heart it is marketed and sold as a Flight Simulator. Thus it needs to live up to its title.

3 Likes

Yes of course, and agree. For whatever reason, they took a wrong decision on the Garmins and are now addressing that - but you’re right, the issue was the initial wrong decision. But at least they are being honest - although of course, if they are going to take 6 months, our expectations will be high :grin:

My hotkeys still seem ok.

Have you checked the Controls settings? This should show whether your keyboard config file has been damaged, or if it’s switched to a different (non-functioning) keyboard.

You can’t easily test the game on multiple configurations and be able to reproduce some bugs from home.

1 Like

Buying a Sim for 100 bucks and using a Game pad… Enough said, keep complaining.

6 Likes

With each patch, my hope is melting that we will eventually get a high-quality simulator, and not another game similar to a simulator.

1 Like

I updated and my keyboard seemed to be non existent. Had to click with my mouse for ATC com and map. Strange.

It appears the moders have fixed the Garmins. Why don’t they incorporate those fixes and give those folks some money for their efforts.