Discussion: November 5th, 2020 Development Update

If and only if Garmin (the company) is okay with Asobo to integrate those community/“uncontrolled” changes (first and foremost).
Because if Asobo is “selling” msfs, then it needs Garmin’s approval to use their products under license. Not sure though, if they can upgrade those in-game licensed products with or without the original maker’s approval…

If there is a license involved, it would be only formal permission for Microsoft to use the trademarked name “Garmin”. I doubt very much that Garmin has been involved in any way with the design or coding of any of the default G-xxxx systems, which simply have the “look” of the real thing.

If anything, Garmin would probably prefer to see the mods become the standard, because the mods correct a lot of errors in functionality and add missing features in “Asobo’s “artistic interpretation” of the real G-xxxx units.

4 Likes

I have no other extravagant hopes, just want to have better game performance optimization.

1 Like

And I hope that the masters of the development team will pay attention to protection, stay healthy, optimistic and cheerful, and make progress every day.

1 Like

They’ve fixed the comsetic parts - it’s actually the flight planning that needs fixed and is why the top bugs list is not a good way to track bugs - zendesk is

2 Likes

Hi.
I-m still with cockpits freezing like C208B , Longitude , B748 and B787.
Are you guys with the issues to ?

I work in the aerospace industry making RR jet engines, I’m certainly not working from home.

1 Like

I also noticed the Garmin Fix slated for February 2021… cant believe it.

So essential for IFR flying. Until then it is a VFR Sim only.

And remember the nice Features Video “IFR”… haha…

1 Like

I did not drop $120 on the simulator only to have it broken and unusable for IFR. Back to Xplane for the time being. This is very frustrating, COVID is no excuse for the delay.

1 Like

It’s strange that a bug that was new to them as of a week ago is now fixed, yet other more important bugs have been known for many months (alpha testing) and are still ignored or on the backlog.

1 Like

I get the disappointment, but ruling out COVID?

It’s a world pandemic that is out of our hands, I believe them when they say it has effected them, put yourself in there shoes, you go into the office and risk exposing yourself you the infection, take it home and infect your family?

I know where I would rather be working

3 Likes

Looking forward to the continued improvements. I appreciate the hard work, especially during COVID.

3 Likes

I understand, I’m not completely l ruling out COVID. However, what they are getting at is development will slow down. Covid is the way of life around now, that shouldn’t be a big excuse.

2 Likes

I don’t have any specifics at the moment. If that changes, I’ll announce. Thanks for asking.

Hi
I;m about 1 hour to end my flight with the C208B on a Fedex Feeders flight.
3 h flight from KGTF to KFAR at 11000 FT.
Amazing. I’m flying with the 3 guages below the Garmin . It’s basically what’s work.
Let me tell you guys something …
Thank you FSTRAMP for allow me to enjoy my 120.00 pounds simulator.
Maybe one day i’ll say the same to ASOBO.

Little Nav Map + Working Title Gxxx mods is working to enable IFR flights.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not. There are still missing Arrival and Departure routes, incorrect ILS frequencies, and RNAV is really generalized since there are at least 6-7 (?) different combinations of RNP. Offset localizers not aimed correctly, etc.

Probably the optimum solution is LNM + WT G Mods + Navigraph. This does NOT solve the artifice that ATC represents today, but that’s an entirely different story. Even FSX at it’s high water mark had an ATC that barely qualified as adequate.

It was a punch in the gut to see February 2021 for that fix. But let’s think about it - Agile 2 week sprints to deliver updates, there’s really only about two working weeks of days left in November, and even with a world-wide pandemic, most organizations implement a Year End Moratorium on the last two weeks in December for holidays, change management and generally to give people a break. That means maybe we get Update 8 by year end, maybe not. It could bleed into January, in which case, GPS fixes are Update 10 or 11 assuming everyone’s back in the saddle 02-JAN.

I’m just grateful the modders have made the changes they did, and the community has been very helpful with both hints/tips on the sim experience, and recommendations to other toolsets that enhance the base experience. That to me is the most valuable of things I’ve seen here.

Asobo, stay safe and healthy. We need you here (and your SDK updates :blush:). There is no hurry though.

10 Likes

Finally a positive comment here :slight_smile:

I appreciate the hard work and look forward to any bug fixes you guys at Asobo can provide.

However, I find it a bit disheartening, how the turboprop engine logic is being pushed to the backlog. While it’s clearly a larger undertaking to fix this, it seems quite essential to get it done so 3rd party developers can proceed with their turboprops in earnest. Lest we arrive at the same situation we had before, where developers have to hack or work around the default model to get somewhat correct behaviour.

This was one of the worst problems of FSX and I was full of hope that it would be correct this time from the start. I wonder why it is either deemed non-essential or just too much of a hassle to get it right quickly.

Otherwise, thank you again for the transparency and the continued stream of patches.

6 Likes

If youre working on software there is little need to go to a workplace. Manufacturing is another story