Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 9 (1.25.7.0)

I’m using PC and I’ve done 4 flights in 2 days and they’ve all CTD. I’ll just not fly until a fix is sorted. Shame as these were my only days off with free time put aside to fly the sim!

2 Likes

I managed a 30min flight with no crash on xbox. I headed to the uk where I have no assets, and flew around Bath where there is only autogen buildings, in the default Savage Cub which doesn’t even have an artificial horizon let alone a Garmin. I checked the scenery out and landed on a grass strip I found.

It was better that a CTD but certainly not on my list of activities by choice. Bath is a pretty city but with autogen only it looked very average and not really worth the visit.

So 1 out of 2 flights worked today. And I know if I’d tried my regular activities it would have been straight to CTD, so not a great experience.

Tried an experiment…
-Removed WU photogrammetry UK cities data

• Turned off photogrammetry but left Bing data on
  • Left Asobo EGLL airport from WU installed

Flew out of EGLL Heathrow without any issue or lag. Flew over London ( most landmark buildings are still there) flight was smooth. Landed back at Heathrow, no issues.

The one odd thing is while on the runway my elevation shows -395 ?

For comparison…
Reinstalled WU data and turned on photogrammetry… instant lagging mess followed by CTD

There is something seriously wrong with photogrammetry now. Previously on SU8 it was smooth running from this location.

1 Like

Do you have the Garmin NXi installed by chance?

I’ve had my Xbox freeze up for a few seconds (usually when I go to select an aircraft for use while in the world map) but it comes back (so far). I did uninstall NXi as it was creating all kinds of CTD for me. It might be trying to load in the background?

Stuff in community folder. I’m on PC.

No, I do not have that installed. I have reset my rolling cache and have managed to load into an airport. Fingers crossed it’ll hold up.

1 Like

I just tried with the default FA18, it’s only got one seat, I see a female sitting in it and I get a female pilot voice. My settings are pilot 14 and copilot 13 if you want to try that.

You remembered to set the altimeter QNH right? Pressure is very high in UK today, 1030hPa.

If the underlying problem is running out of ram as mentioned on the q&a today then removing photogrammetry is going to help a lot because it’s sure to be a significant use of ram.

I can smell people doing overtime this weekend to fix Xbox crashes, they can’t leave this like that obviously.

They’ll never learn. We’re experiencing this mess with every release for almost two years now… :roll_eyes:

(I’m not on Xbox but I feel your pain, as someone who works in VG QA for more than 10 years now, this is absolutely unacceptable and they don’t have the ‘several different configurations’ excuse here)

2 Likes

I like sim-update 9, for me it’s stable (also in VR) and the changes to the atmosphere concerning thermal up/downdrafts feel very real (I hold a PPL and fly regularly with SEPs). Concerning CTD, as Asobo said yesterday on Twitch, they mostly happen related with USB device disconnects (if I disconnect my VR controllers during flight in VR I always have a CTD).

Concerning CTDs related to Add-ons, the Addonlinker App was a revelation, not for linking but to scan and fix all the faulty(samename) ModelLib and MaterialLibs names. Since then, no more CTDs! Btw, I’m playing (well it’s still a game, right) on a homebuilt Intel/Nvidia PC with current performant hardware and driver’s and no overclocking whatsoever.

Asobo, keep up the great work. There is no other piece of software with a better price/value/fun factor then MSFS :wink:.

3 Likes

do they even try to hear anything beta testers are telling them? ive got black loading screens and music suddenly popping in, I remember it was like this just after release, LOL I mean come on, do they even fix ANYthing? or do they just shovel it under the carpet until the next “sim update” which is always a downgrade. im so disappointed…msfs is like a bird flying against a window over and over again

1 Like

Xbox results here:
the sim updated while in the Xbox menu, and I was very pessimistic (after read all the posts), however I did a wonderful flight with the kodiak, with Vessels installed, from Lisbon to Merida, about 1.5h time.
Noticed some freezes in the World Map, but nothing very bad.
I did lower the ground personel, vehicles and planes to about 15.
Did clear the cache and set it to 16.
Then I remembered to go to content manager, and saw that there were updates available there to the FlightSim.
I updated from the content manager, the regular and deluxe updates, and also did a reset.
When I tried to delete the Cache, I noticed that the Cache had disabled itself, and I had to delete it and set it to 16 again.
Restarted MSFS and went to the World Map.
This time the freezes were worse, but I managed to create a flight plan.
Clicked the FlyNow…
Instant CTD…
I would just kept it from updating from the content manager if I knew…

on Xbox or PC?

people are having a range of experiences with MSFS, probably because of the range of capability of MSFS.
You have a wide array of types of aircraft, type of flying you can do, type of hardware to run it on, ability to configure your PC and optimize your MSFS settings (or not) - your PC settings (or not) - or to run it on Xbox S or X and configure MSFS to run well (or not) on those consoles.
I think there are still many updates to come that will focus on optimizing gameplay - but I also believe that many of the problems people are having with that are folks who are setting higher sliders than their home hardware can accommodate…
I’m running this on the same PC I had when MSFS was released - SU9 is working for me. No CTD yet and better performance with the option to increase draw distance and the other slate of improvements to the sim, aircraft, and flight dynamics all working as advertised.

PC
10 characters

We still help developers through BETA… but that doesn’t solve it. I didn’t see anyone saying that SU9 was a success and reached the players’ expectations, on the contrary!
many complaints and disappointments! the performance for me is horrible, I lost a lot of fps and the stutters are frequent uninterrupted!

1 Like

I would be really interested to know how FSX runs on today’s top hardware. Does anyone know? I assume it runs better than FS2020?

1 Like

I get the black screens occasionally when loading - or did before SU9 - it seems like no big deal because the sim is still loading and would always work normally afterward - whether the splash screens were displayed or dark while MSFS loaded.

FSX problems were not limited to hardware spec. It was poorly optimized and ran for 32bit - not 64bit memory based hardware.
Better to ask about P3D since changing that one aspect was the key focus of P3D development.
FSX would perform about the same on your current rig as it did on your last FSX rig…