Discussion + Poll: Sim Update V (1.18.13.0)

has anyone noticed their honeycomb yoke light settings have changed and I can rebind them to how they were before this update?

Only CTD I had was when zooming in the world map.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had way too many CTDā€™s to enjoy the sim.

I havenā€™t had any since Patch #2 which was basically near release date.
But since SU5 i havenā€™t been able to complete a single flight.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I am still downloading the update - for three days in a row now!
Download speeds are still low, never over 20Mbit/s, often below 1Mbit/s. And I have very frequent freezes. Download stops often and FS2020 installer quits to desktop. Has happened more than 20 times by now (and counting). For the avoidance of doubt: I do have fast internet.

I start having a terrible suspicion: MS monitors this forum and notes who makes critical comments. These users are singled out by some evil AI, which then assigns them the slowest servers MS has in its arsenal (probably Commodore64 based) as punishment.

4 Likes

My first impressions as a VR user, Reverb G2 & 2070Super;

• Not seeing as big a performance boost as others, gained about 10fps average in different scenarios, but this is using SteamVR as i use an overlay app. Using just WMR I do see more of an increase but only a bit extra not a huge amount.

• biggest gains seem to be in bigger planes and night flying as per my benchmarks in the other thread, smaller GA isnā€™t as much which is what i mainly fly.

• scenery pop in is visible when turning head sharply, I donā€™t notice it as much when turning head normally but it is there , not game breaking but certainly could be better.

• LODs on 200 and Trees set to Ultra yet the ā€œcircleā€ around the plane is clearly visible so this clearly has not been fully rectified, better than SU4 yes but still not good enough.

• Anti Aliasing is awful in the menus and worse in the cockpit than previous.

• Clouds are now awful, Ultra looks exactly like what Medium was before the update and yet thereā€™s still a huge FPS cost, this is a massive backwards step.

Overall first impressions: I much preferred lower FPS with better overall visuals as seen before the update, I hope that Asobo can address these issues specifically for PC users and VR users sooner rather than later as overall this update is very ā€œmehā€ so farā€¦

6 Likes

When was the last time you cleared your DirectX shader cache?

UPDATE : my problems with tearing at the top of the screen, constant stuttering, and with switching views (artifacts) are related to TrackIr 5
When I activate the head tracking and open MSFS I have all of those problems - when I open MSFS without TiR5 and just use the hat switch I have none of those problems.

So now do I wait for TiR to update compatibility with MSFS? or for MSFS to fix whatever they broke WRT Naturalpoint?

I have emailed NaturalPoint and asked them to verify that TiR5 compatibility with MSFS since SU5 was released is broken

If someone would ask me to describe this update with one word it would be: Disaster

7 Likes

For me a big performance boost to the disadvantage of scenery quality and popping textures in some cases. FPS naild at 60 most of the time. For example, before in TBM i got 40 FPS. The Geforce working a lot with the new update. Thats good and thats why we have a high end graphic card. Before the update it runs around 60%, now 90-95%.

I can not see any difference in cloud quality. Smoothness while panning around inside and outside. Less stutters.
Texture colours are too bright/washed out and a bit more blurry because of the limited LOD.

My settings between High-Ultra.

Got 2-3 CTDs. But i thing it is because of some scenery addons and mods.

At the end. I am happy and i am not happyā€¦
I guess there is a lot headroom for the future.

My PC
I9 9900K(not overclocked)
32 GB RAM
Geforce 2060 Super

Cheers
Max

Before this update all was fine with my ga flights
Now it is uggly , lakes look like holes, bad colors, poppings, game flight model for newbeesā€¦ returning to my old FSX
This update is a shame !

6 Likes

Does anybody got the middle Icon in the Hangar to work after SU5 ?
This is the one where you can set your Zoom and lookpoint your ownā€¦( the plane Icon ).
It is greyed out for me and does not do anything as i klick it ??

Does it work for you guys ?

cheers

And they call this a performance upgrade??

Lower visuals and ship it isnā€™t an upgrade, more like a slap in the face with a wet fish to your consumers.

XBox users might also be bored in a few days wondering why they canā€™t shoot down airplanes or land a helicopter on top of a Rhino - wrong market I believe for a flight simulator.

Also, anyone else see they removed the ESC back button out of the menu. Now it just says Resume without any key binding. What performance issue was that related to??

Observation: Each update gets worse for MSFS!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve found that it only works on some of the airplanes now.

FWIW:

• Live weather is still clearly very wrong. Worse than it was pre-update as atmospheric temperatures are all over the place
  • Iā€™ve had CTDā€™s in all but 1 session. I virtually never suffered from these before and it is rendering the game unplayable. It is possible that this could be, in part, down to borked 3rd party stuff. If this is the case then they need to get these updates to 3rd party devs sooner so this doesnā€™t keep happening. Even the JF Arrow has a number of new bugs!
  • The new cockpit tooltips thing is a mess. Why break what didnā€™t need fixing?
  • The game has now started occasionally freezing on loading after clicking ā€˜flyā€™. The only way out is to use Task Manager to quit.
  • I also question why the option to hit ā€˜Escā€™ to resume the game from the pause menu has gone meaning I have to use the mouse.
  • Please get rid of that stupid white dot. I use a PS4 controller to control my camera views and I donā€™t want to see that ā– ā– ā– ā–  thing every time I look around.
  • I need to see if I can re-create it, but Iā€™ve witnessed some really bizarre stuff going on with the ATC. edited to add - after departure in a light aircraft it is automatically setting up flight following (with the squawk etc) without any user input or ATC audio. What is that about?!!

The performance improvements are great and I think the sim has probably looked or performed better than it does now for me (although Iā€™m having to manually edit the user.cfg file to get what Iā€™m seeing) but the game is definitely less stable and consequently less playable. Maybe in a couple of weeks when this is all ironed out weā€™ll really be onto something.

One thing thoughā€¦these traffic and weather problems need sorting. Yesterday.

5 Likes

Is there an ESC key on the xbox controller? I have to learn this question too. PC users travelling in the third grade these days.

Stupid it isā€¦??
But thanks for reply tought i am the only one with this Issue.
Can you tell me one Plane that works for you so i can try that ?

cheers

Have the same problem using only mouse or keys, so not only on Track IR and VR wich I havenā€™t bothered trying because all other issues that was introduced with this update

Iā€™ve also noticed that the clickable buttons that would indicate which key to press to perform an action no longer display PC keys (ā€˜Escā€™ or ā€˜Endā€™ for example). They now display numbers, which I can only assume correspond to buttons on an XBOX controller.

Iā€™m not against the XBOX version one bit. I think itā€™s a good thing, but the PC version shouldnā€™t be suffering because of it.

3 Likes

you should limit frames and turn maximum performance off too if you have nvidia

Itā€™s not intended to be flown