Discussion + Poll: Sim Update V (1.18.13.0)

but how can you then explain what Asobo si presenting as “Sim Update 5” in this video.

Start at 6:55

not a single core is stuck at 100% but instead all cores are nicely utilized.
And he even says, that this gives headroom to avoid stutters.

But for some reason, this is not what we got.
You say it is impossible, Asobo said they made it possible.

1 Like

I find it absurd to not communicate what has been changed/fixed/added with an update. How are people supposed to know what they are experiencing is an intending change/addition or a bug? We have to assume they are bugs if there are no patch notes. It is a very inefficient process if they have to go look back on what changes were made when the release an update. It would be better if they kept track of what they do as they do it.

2 Likes

I was going to test this myself but the sim crashed :stuck_out_tongue:
It looks a bit like they have disabled hyperthreading, you could try to disable that in BIOS and see if it changes how cores are utilized.

@PliantWings5288, yes thank you, the “Legacy” setting deactivated the blue/yellow knobs highlight. Perfect.

I know the CTD pain :frowning:

Yeah, already set HT off.
Still one core at 100%, overall FPS got even better.

It is pretty obvious to me, that for some (good?) reason they had to release a different build that did not include that specific bit of optimization.
Probably it was causing other issues, but as communication is quite weak when it comes to detailed changelogs and technical details, I guess I have to simply accept it that there is still one core at 100% and every now and then a short stutter is disrupting the else fabulous performance.

It is just bugging me, that’s all.
And I have to kill time somehow till the constant CTDs are solved…

I haven’t formally tested the difference but I think with FS2020 turning off hyperthreading is now much less important.

Before, most load was concentrated in one thread. Hyperthreading brought that to a halt while it got swapped out so other threads could get some time. Now the load is much better distributed across all cores so getting swapped for another core also loaded won’t have near the impact it used to.

I still run with hyperthreading off, though.

I say you are the lucky one, my game is now crashing at start every time :smiley: I’ll be back when they release update 5 patch 1 hotfix 2!

1 Like

pro: from 40fps to +60fps
cons:
took 9 hrs to downlaod on 200Mbits
blurry textures at high altitude
temperature bug (SAT +24C at FL390)
altimeter bug
xbox design on UI and everything over described
(can’t say anything so far about LOD)

9 points for performance improvements (some introduced freezes)
3 points for game breaking bugs for this update (I’m not interested in VFR)

1 Like

Incredibly infuriating update, the reduction of graphical quality to facilitate Xbox and totally unnecessary performance gains is insulting to those of us who spent our hard earned cash on a top PC to enjoy incredible graphics. It is nowhere near the sim that we had on first release.

8 Likes

Has anyone else had the Log Book wiped out and trouble assigning key binds in the Control menu?

FYI it is EXACTLY what I got.

All of my 8 cores are nicely utilised and none of them are stuck at 100%…

Has anyone tested how well the AI assist lands the plane?

It lands the plane fine, I tested with C-172 in Dubai. However, the approach part may be fanny - things like a slow flight without flaps, long and slow taxi after landing, and so on.

1 Like

Thanks! As long as it doesn’t crash the plane, it’s good enough! :smiley:

Do I have to check the resource monitor? On this graph it does not like that a core is running 100% … ?!

1 Like

As long as there are no mountains on your flight path, the AI will keep the plane in the air.

This SU5 is a complete dissaster.
I can’t fly with the A320 and the A32NX because of engine one failure.
Killed my Airbus TCA quadrant settings, no buttons don´t work anymore (autothrothle, eng1 on), and I´m unable to recover them back. Don´t know what to do about it (controls are already in “legacy”).
No highlighting, all switches of the TrustMaster Airbus Joystick+ throttle Q. not responding. Even keybourd keys. The sliders ans stick working. Can’t fly anyway. Very annoying. Will have to wait for another update !!!

2 Likes

Overall this update has been pretty bloody amazing for me. FPS, fluidity, Ground and object textures all greatly improved. Definitely some issues with certain addons though, and as someone with a huge collection it’s a bit of a 'mare sorting out whats what, but i can live with that.

Only real weird one is today it’s started to crash every time i exit the sim. Better than crashing during flight though :slight_smile: Hopefully tomorrows hotfix will sort that one out.

The one thing i’m not happy about is the obvious degradation of clouds. They really are looking awful close up. Grainy, banding, weird colour. Thick cloud looks more like volcanic ash clouds a lot of the time. It’s as if the shading and shadowing is completely broken on clouds. (running ultra settings 140% render scale) I’ll happily sacrifice a few FPS to get the clouds back as they were.

Hot fix release is tomorrow

July 30th, at 8 am PT (1500 UTC) to download on both PC and Xbox Series X|S consoles. Here are the release notes:

Stability/performance
  • Fixed various crashes in game and on the world map
  • Fixed crashes related to the offline AI traffic
  • Fixed minor memory leaks
Input
  • The title should no longer freeze for a very long time when connecting / disconnecting peripherals
Navigation
  • Fixed broken flight plan for Garmin devices when adding an enroute waypoint that was inserted as a destination
  • Fixed flightplanner not resetting when going from one activity to another
  • Fixed flightplan from flight assistant not displaying on certain planes when VFR map is open after the destination is set
  • Fixed freezes happening when using the flight assistant when setting a new destination
UI
  • VR options should no longer be duplicated in the Option menu
  • Marketplace “Get and download” and “Download” buttons will now function as expected on the Content Page
  • User unable to interact with UI elements with the in game cursor for free flight in some cases
Planes
  • Improvements of pitot static system to fix altimeter bugs, improve accuracy and correctly simulate temperature impact
  • Fixed AutoBrakes Button Behavior on the Airbus A320Neo
Activity / Gameplay
  • The correct runway is now taken into account for the Landing challenge at Nice
  • Pilots are now displayed in external view at the Isafjordur Landing challenge
  • Title will no longer become unresponsive after using Fuel Supply and using a fuel or payload as a numerical value via ATC Ground Services
  • Some achievements will no longer be awarded in error for certain landing scenarios
Weather
  • Fixed big temperature spikes at high altitudes
SDK
  • Added new airspace to nearest facility JS API
  • Fixed crashes on WASM modules for older CPUs

We are actively working on making this sim the best experience possible, and look forward to seeing videos, comments, and more from you about this release.

- The MSFS team.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed