Discussion: September 24th, 2020 Development Update

All right, let me know the level of engagement you have with your current sim provider?

1 Like

I spent £1300 on updating my hardware for the game. I was aware that the game would contain bugs on day one which I expect with any game I get as a day one release.
However since release I have completed very few flights due to the issues. Lucky for me I haven’t had any performance or CTD issues on high settings. My issue is that I enjoy IFR flying and on FSX I would make up multiple flightplans before flying in order to simulate flying daily sectors.
I also love long haul IFR also which has been impossible up to now (longest flight up to now has been Dublin to JFK on the A320 neo before the latest patch)
I would prefer that the aircraft issues are prioritized first as I can cope with any other bugs for now.
In saying that the visuals and detail is unreal and the game given time will be amazing. I just think getting the aircraft and other major issues fixed should be a priority.

Ps I don’t normally comment or read blogs but if anyone can recommend any freeware mods to get me flying again that will be great.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
I’m not sure I am answering your question directly, but I have heard the LittleNavMap is a very well put together and stable piece of software and would add to your MFS experience. I have not yet tried it yet but plan to. You will find other references/discussion about it if you search for (top right of screen). Hope it is of use to you.

The Japan expansion was likely in the works long before sim was even released. Hand-crafted airports take time to build.

The developers who specialize in creating new regional or airport scenery probably have no connection with the developers who work on aircraft systems and other core sim features that are the subject of the current bug list, and no expertise to contribute to that effort.

It’s not like resources that should be devoted to bug-fixing are being diverted to creating new scenery instead. The two are not mutually exclusive.

6 Likes

As I said before and ill say it again there will always be an unsatisfied trolling poor soul, nothing will fulfill their happiness. They probably work for Laminar or Lockheed Martin.

1 Like

I am happy that MS is providing these updates - although a little vague in places. I would like to see a little more detail on the SDK as it is pivotal in getting more and better DLC.

Also, I don’t understand the wishlist. My top wish is this:

which has over 320 votes but doesn’t appear in the list which has items with fewer votes. wtf?

Anyway, we should all be thankful and patient. It will only get better.

1 Like

No but over the years of simming and understanding the massive scope of this project most of us understand that we need to be patient. The ones that are having trouble launching the game period have the right to be frustrated but the rest of us who are experiencing bugs within we know they are on top of it and they’re showing us they are doing everything they can to make things happen as fast as possible. I swear it seems few of you just skip over the entire road map and complain about something you wanted to see but didn’t see. They said they want to make it the best simulation for years to come. Things take time, this has never been done before be happy it exists and get excited about the future.

3 Likes

It sure would be nice if the devs tried to make some flights in the 787 … The plane completely ignores pitch control inputs on final approach without playing games with the throttle, turning various random AP controls on and off - effectively “jiggling the switch” - to try to get the system to allow the player to actually fly the plane rather than watch the AP try to do it. There are numerous reports about this behavior in the Airliners section of the forum but not even an acknowledgement of the issue in the most recent dev notes. sigh

2 Likes

###################################

Well said.Totally agree.

2 Likes

I don’t think they understand the complicated relationship of a turbine engine with a propeller. They really need to speak with a French Turboprop Instructor with significant Pratt and Whitney PT6A experience as my French is far from capable of explaining how the propeller interacts with the air producing resistance that is read by the torque chamber in the reduction gearbox. They will probably want an aeronautical engineer so to be able to mathematically reproduce such interactions.

I notice in their SDK out of the 640 surfaces none of them are dedicated to the thrust and drag that is produced by a spinning airfoil (a.k.a. the propeller blade.) It stands to reason that constant speed propeller aerodynamics is poor as well as the propeller’s interactions with a free turbine engine. Much less the more complicated setup of a geared turboprop.

Up and downs will happen but the update will always come with new features and fix :smiley:

2 Likes

[Please, insert a friendly tone here, this forum is getting a bit toxic and it’s better to be clear]
Quoting MS: “On top of that, we are developing some exciting paid DLC that we plan to roll out over the coming months”
I believe you know I was referring to paid DLCs because you wrote about it further in the reply.
Ey, I understand the paid philosophy and the need of foundings. I don’t care about that specifically. What is wrong to me, and it is strongly related to bad communication, is the fact that they are talking about paid DLCs and the game is completely broken, lots of people having problems to start the game and many game-breaking bugs. The DLC comment was tightly related to the bad communication discussion, I think what you quoted comes from a merged post some admin closed and locked so it might be a bit out of context.

I suspect that you are right that this will not be an easy fix. However, that does not justify fudging the wishlist by ignoring user preferences.

Thanks for this

I will have a search for it

For me as I’ve said numerous times I’m highly irritated by the lack of communication about bugs especially the serious game breaking stuff like the avionics issues since last patch and the ever increasing buggyness of premium deluxe content like the 787.

However I will say I am also very excited for the Japan update. My family lived there for a couple years after I left home in the 90’s after joining the Navy and one of the towns in the update was one they visited often. I’m looking forward to visiting it in the sim and doing sightseeing there and the rest of the places.

It would just be really nice to be able to say fly the 787 or 747 there, then hop in one of those low and slow props currently plagued by avionics issues and be able to go sightseeing around.

MFS is my “current sim provider”. I won’t inflame the discussion by pulling out meaningless quantitative speculation about “levels of engagement”.

The best I can do to answer your point/question (??) is to state that in my opinion, regular, responsive engagement is implicit in the “agreement” that was created when I handed over my cash in return for this software. Even more so because the party that sold me the software must have known that the product required a good deal of further triage/ development and chose not to alert me to the fact (which I realise would be a rather Utopian expectation).

Removing my cynical hat for a second, I believe MS created the Zendesk and Forums to facilitate two-way engagement. IMHO they are currently falling short of “best practice” as far as feeding back to the community is concerned.

Much of the perceived negativity in these forums would dissipate if there were more detailed communications around newly reported bugs, known issues and time lines for action. Frustration comes from lack of clarity and/or acknowledgement from those upon whom we rely.

This is my opinion and I do not expect everyone else to share it. I am not looking for an apology nor do I believe that one is warranted. Further, when I lobby for greater engagement, it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the work that Asobo has done so far or the massive potential of this sim.

5 Likes

They are still focussing on the wrong things though. It seems like the main focus for them still is graphics and not the fixing of bugs, lack of functionality, lack of aircraft variety, flight model, weather etc. Nice update I guess for the casual gamer who is interested in all the visual eye-candy. As a professional tool for enhancing skills and use as a simulator however, not much of an improvement.

4 Likes

Mmm… from 15 to 30 for most people with XP11… in MSFS 2020 with same spec I get 40 to 65… just saying

Agree. I’ve actually stop playing because it’s so buggy it’s just not a sim. If I wanted to see pretty stuff I would use google earth flight sim. Having worked on videogames myself I can say MFS team performance has been amateur at best. They underdelivered on the release and they’ve been slow at solving their own mess, taking into account it is a released game. It feels like they’re relying on 3rd party developers to actually make the sim usable. Meanwhile they already sold a ton of copies of the game.
Also, call me paranoid, but I feel like I have to dig way too deep to find honest reviews.

7 Likes

Except that’s not happening either. Many people were complaining that new payware Mooney had the same avionics issues as many of the default aircraft have since patch 2. That tells me there’s a serious issue in the core game engine and 3rd party devs aren’t going to fix that with addons (yes the flybywire team “fixed” some of those issues on that aircraft, with workarounds though not fixes to the engine of the sim)

1 Like