Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

But this is where I believe you’re drawing wrong conclusions: they didn’t add the community folder to the PC version, they will remove it in the Xbox version instead because there is no user accessible file system. The game logic, features, even the UI, are all the same and working the same based on the same code. There is no provision in the application right now for any specific PC only technology, not even Force Feedback which requires using an API (DirectInput) which is only available on PC and not on Xbox.

Please understand I’m not saying so lightly. I’ve been dealing with the SDK and the entrails of all simulators from FS9 to P3D5, and XP9 to XP11, with a deep understanding of how they are working, what they are coding, and how to correct the bugs and deficiencies in some of their code, in order to make our products running. Reality XP was first creating an entire new Gauge Add-on market which didn’t exist 20 years ago with the first standalone professional grade simulation of the Apollo GPS. Sam Seery, Director of Sales and Marketing was saying: “UPS Aviation Technologies is pleased to support the Reality XP product. The product’s ability to simulate the real-world workings of avionics systems is so good that we suspect many pilots who operate our equipment will acquire the Reality XP product for training purposes.”.

Building the Reality XP products reveals many challenges the SDK is not capable of resolving and they can exist only because we can augment the re-code the core simulation entrails to make them working. Building these products is revealing shortcomings in the SDK vision and capabilities no other 3rd party vendor is confronted with when building an aircraft either, although should the SDK was addressing the very specific needs of RXP products, it would benefit tremendously any other 3rd party vendor because these are orthogonal and transversal needs, many can’t see nor apprehend because they are not confronted with the necessity.

Maybe the SimConnect API will find its way in the XBox and allow remote connections from a PC app, but even if this is the case, this won’t address the narrowed vision of the SDK and the fact SimConnect is a modern and open communication system impaired by having to deal with antiquated structures and SDK concepts exposed to the 3rd party devs (it is much more powerful internally but they only provide a limited and redacted view of it).

I must say though the same RXP products are offering more functionalities and require no hack whatsoever on X-Plane, and this shows there is a fundamental flaw in the FS SDK from the get go I’ve clearly explained here:

9 Likes