Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

Yeah I have a high end pc and I stick to ga aircraft can’t imagine what a mid range pc and jets would look like. Another win for Asobo

1 Like

My files were locked that folder. I’ve read about other users with that issue.

@CptLucky8, I don’t understand why you think that is true. There was nothing about that interview where Jorg said or even implied such a thing, and I’ve said on several occasions that the very existence of the “Community” folder is a clear signal that MS does not intend to “dumb down” the PC version so that it’s “no better” than the XBox one.

In fact, in the very interview that thread is about, Jorg indicated that they had just doubled the staffing on the MSFS project, and the reality is that there’s only so much they can do for the XBox version, because of it’s very nature. And let’s face it, the time of game consoles is coming to an end, even the makers don’t care about the consoles themselves, they care about the software that the consoles drag along with them. That is why MS is now offering all the games in PC versions as well. They probably can’t wait until they no longer have to offer the consoles themselves as products, and just drag all the users over to PCs. The issue really is pricing, because at least at the time of release, you can’t buy or build a PC for the same amount of money as the consoles cost to acquire that has the same technical specs. But it doesn’t stay that way for long.

My CPU is pegged on main thread, but GPU (2080) seeing about 10-20% use. That’s just not right.

2 Likes

Ah that sucks! Is it a MS store version thing? I’m steam.

So… Another buggy mess update then?

5 Likes

CPU is also pegged. Not much we can do but hope the optimize the sim again. Might take 6 months or so.

No…the best was a post about how we should be charged for updates…lol

4 Likes

I’d get a refund for this one.

1 Like

I think so. I did buy from the ms store.

Instead of assuming and being negative without seeing for yourself, maybe test it for yourself. Loads of people are happily flying around (myself included). It’s likely people who do run into issues end up posting on the forums.

5 Likes

@MROY10151987, I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Sure, having a bunch of mods that need to get deleted is one thing, but in my case, my mods don’t even live in my Community folder, I use a manager that just puts links there. An update can do whatever they like to my community folder, and my mods won’t even notice. Not to mention I do a daily backup of everything to a NAS, and I keep them in a folder that is protected by OneDrive, so I’ve got at least 3 layers of protection built in, two of which are FREE!

1 Like

This is simple logic, but my logic my not be working correctly at this time maybe. I’ll try to rephrase: if you build a software to run on a console which hardware specs are fixed from the get go, and if in a few years from now a new tech comes up in all NVidia and AMD cards which can double your fps but requires using a special NVidia and/or AMD driver + code implementation, you won’t get any advantage of this tech if the software is designed for both PC and XBox because in this case, it will always boils down to the least common denominator.

If it wouldn’t be the case, you’d already have in FS2020:

• DLSS 2.1 or clear announcements using it. (although NVidia could maybe plug DLSS2.1 as the tech empowering their DirectML API, but will it offer the same level of perf/config or will it be “simplified” to fit the DirectML constraints?)

• RTX Ray Tracing for lights, reflections, shadows, maybe even some of the cloud rendering.

• Maybe more of these…

But more importantly to me, and showing indeed the least denominator between XBox and PC is condemning the PC version: they are not supporting loading 3rd party code (via DLLs) which would otherwise allow 3rd parties building add-ons which could directly use the full power of your PC… Everything 3rd party can do goes through, and only through, the API Asobo is providing to the SDK. It is fine for display and logic purposes with the JS/HTML layer, which they don’t documented by the way, but it is not fine at all for the WASM (kinda C restricted to their sandbox) and prevents doing much more efficient gauges and displays.

In other words, Jorg might have said they don’t have any intention dumbing FS2020 down, but this is missing the last word in the sentence: “anymore”. Because I can tell you it is already dumbed down from a 3rd party gauges and systems point of view, or I shall say at least from my point of view, and I have documented why enough in this forum, and lately and in more details here:

GTN650/750 updates? - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

8 Likes

Sorry for not having as much free time as you. But I’m tired of all those untested releases. So if this one is also giving all kind of issues (from the map, to CTD’s, to performance bugs or failing AP), I don’t even bother to start the sim.

5 Likes

One thing the GPUs that suffered from the flashing clouds had in common is that they do not support Direct3D feature level 12_0, so this is probably a correct explanation.

With DirectX 12 being part of the plan even before the early Alpha builds, I think that listing the GTX 770 in the minimum requirements was a poor choice on their part.

2 Likes

Asobo smugly said in a Q&A that the acceleration bug (aka the 10 degree heading bug) had been fixed, with no further comment on this really annoying “feature”. There was mention in the latest release notes that gave some hope, although it is ambiguous, " * Improved the behavior of knobs that repeatedly send an action to prevent it from sending multiple events at once" .

Just did a quick flight in the C172 G1000 with the Alpha yoke and Bravo throttle and both the heading bug and altitude bug were present when I didn’t use the pain in the neck SpadNext workaround. In fact, the altitude adjustment on the Bravo was all over the place. Really getting tired of all the buggy releases in this game. I hardly play it at all now and I built a top end rig for it. Condor gliding sim is a far more relaxing experience for me and bug free.

Don’t forget - you got new liveries from 10 years ago! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The 10-degree heading bug will be fixed with World Update 4.

This is seriously depressing. I dread every patch now.

6 Likes

Salty 747 stops to work! :sob: