Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

whats obs?

After installation, please go to Content Manager. For me 30 updates available there also (probably the liveries), with a small 1 GB in total download

6 Likes

Iā€™ve just been up in a default C152, with my TM Warthog Hotas and the throttle axes appear to be the same as they ever were, so not sure where that known issue comes from.

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s not reverse on just some aircraft.

Edit: or maybe itā€™s for the dual throttle mappings, where throttle 1 is mapped to throttle 2 axes and vice versa???

1 Like

Looking at the bright side:

• they are focusing on small bugs, something they are able to introduce safely without introducing new issues - this would be a sign that they finally realised that they have to adopt much slower pace with much stringent quality control,
  • they started providing more detailed content list of the patch, this should help the community in identifying any potential problems, by knowing what was changed and what not.

EDIT: Unfortunately the list of changes is incomplete, as they again tinkered with the tree draw distance, making the mods allowing displaying the trees at larger distances (as it was in the release version) unusable.

13 Likes

Actually, yes, the patch notes are surprisingly detailed, I like it. Previous patch notes were horridly unspecific and lacking. We had to guess what they did/changed by flying in the sim.

1 Like

there is no update in MS store !?

maybe try logging out and back in again

Its there - restart.

OBS is essentially the same as a CDI. Onmi Bearing Selector for the Course Deviation Indicator

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand the folks who are ā€œdisappointedā€ by this update.

If all we have are fixes in this sim update, and no new glaring issues - then weā€™re taking a step in the right direction.

Iā€™m much happier with a smaller update where everything is proven out, rather than wanting more and having things shoe-horned in that arenā€™t ready or cause big new problems.

20 Likes

People sometimes say that Microsoft Store updates can download in the background. Try launching the simulator and see what happens. If version is 1.14.5.0, youā€™re updated.

Omni Bearing Selector used for tracking radials in VOR navigation. It was conspicuously lacking on the Garmin units. You know, the COURSE knob that did nothing previously.

3 Likes

It effectively lets you do the same thing for GPS waypoints, really handy for aligning with the runway you are going to land on.

I think the problem is that expectations were set too high, with the Feedback Snapshot suggesting improvements to the G1000, live weather and more with this update. I agree that, as long as no new major problems arise, this should be a quite nice patch, but hopefully they will talk more about the remaining stuff in tomorrowā€™s Q&A.

7 Likes

Please note, once again the update path is not clear from Asobo:

Beside the (steam/??) update, and the content update, you also have about 30 updated aircraft that you need to update yourself through the content manager.

1 Like

Or 4.21 on Steam for some (me included).

Edit: had an additional 1.49gb update after launching the sim again.

Considering how strictly curated the question format is and restricted to only thing things they want to talk about, it will be up to people in Live Chat to bring up hard questions.

6 Likes

To be fair, it has always been like this. I put this one in the same box as ā€œempty your Community folder, just to be safeā€. I then run a few flights with no addons whatsoever, looking for stability issues. When Iā€™m comfortable I then copy some back, and look for differences in behaviour. At least now I have a pretty good idea of the timeline, and know where to look.

I just checked, and the 30 updates are all updated ā€œAviators Clubā€ liveries.

1 Like

From the NOTES I would like to know for example what changes have been made to Chicago Oā€™Hare airport. And if none than why do I have to dowload it again?

I donā€™t really think those expectations were too high. They were reasonable expectations, set by MS/Asobo themselves. Unfortunately, they seem to have fallen quite a way short of meeting the goals that they set for themselves and made public.

7 Likes