Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

of nothing. Don’t worry! Maybe we didn’t understand each other properly…best regards…

KevyKevTPA:
Call it what you want, but excellent points, there - all! Thanks.

It’s kind of refreshing, actually, to read some opinions that are a bit more reasoned and thought out, rather than just more of the same old belly-aching, negative diatribes against Asobo, Microsoft, etc.

You and others like you are the reason that I continue to wade through the various MSFS forum discussions looking for little nuggets of sanity.

BTW, I am one of those in the “silent majority” that is just quite simply - happy, flying around the world
in my my quite low-end lap-top with the standard MSFS “Low-End” setting, but nice smooth, no-stutter, or jittery 35-40 FPS. (Lenovo Legion Y520)

I enjoy flying as much as sight seeing and some day when I can afford to, I’ll upgrade to a PC that will be more capable with MSFS.

Got a question, for you, though:
Back when I first installed MSFS, I do recall that it performed some kind of an automatic test of my hardware and then recommended that I run the simulation on the “Medium” setting.

Short of completely reinstalling MSFS, are you aware of any other options on how to re-trigger that component test?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try switching those things on and off when it happens again. I had zero issues with it yesterday and side slip myself plenty to slow down for landing (bad habit but works)

Could it be that when I engage ap too early (while taking off using rudder against a crosswind) it takes the current rudder position as the ‘center’. I’ll see if I can reproduce it, plenty ways to fix it anyway.

1 Like

maybe you have a crosswind

It was a strong headwind at the time and even with a cross wind it wouldn’t steer left with the rudder and right with the ailerons

Just odd, it got there anyway.

OK, so some real information for you. Anything bought from the s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ marketplace is a paid-for mod.
Anything Asobo releases is a free mod. So, unless you have the vanilla sim from the day it was released, you have mods.

Paid mods, and comunity mods, can also need updating after game updates.
Scenery updates can also mean marketplace mods need working on.

Mods are great. Why? Because Asobo and MS are not going to give us fully functional aircraft.
I flew the 787 a month after game release, and it was a bit laggy.
I flew it again yesterday for the second time, and it is very laggy.
About 1/3 of the switches work, and an MFS is not functional.

I flew the 737 and A321 in fsx (both stock) and we had fully functional MFDs & PFDs and all their pages, and all their switches and knobs.
Everything worked, everthing did what it was supposed to.
I flew the A320 the day MSFS 2020 came out, and 1/3 of the switches and knobs worked, the MFDs only had two pages, and it had a mind of it’s own.

Since then, the game has received several “official” mods, and they have caused:

• engines and everything electrical turns off and you fall out of the sky
  • crazy flaps
  • aircraft wobbled going in a straight line like some crazy penguin running
  • autopilot makes the aircraft go around in a tight circle until it falls out of the sky, and finally
  • engines refuse to start, due to no fuel in the centre tank (even though the other tanks are full), fil the centre tank, start engines, watch the fuel disappear 20x faster than it should and you fall out of the sky just as you reach 1000ft after takeoff - even though all the other fuel tanks are full.

All those things were caused by Asobo and “official” mods — How do I know?
When one writes a bug report, you are asked to remove everything from the community folder, and all mods, and restart the sim and try to recreate the problem. That’s how I know it wasn’t any community mod.
More importantly, most of those had workarounds by the A32NX mod within 2 days.
The falling out of the sky one was different, it was a game issue and could only be fixed by Asobo.

So, maybe the community is needed, it makes mods that help us. Some won’t, and some will cause issues, but the vast majority will work fine and get updated when needed, even if it takes a few days.
To suggest that “unofficial mods” are the root cause of “most people with problems” is quite ridiculous … they are ALL mods, paid, unpaid, Asobo … ALL of them.

To finish, let’s just remember that the community folder is there for a reason. In FSX and all MS FSs before, to add anything in, you had to modify the sim. That meant taking out GBs of stuff, keeping backups of all game files replaced by mods, and keeping records of what you had done. It took hours of work. Last time I installed FSX it took me 3 days to get everything back to where it was, and it broke because of a 147kb weather app. Now, we just drop it in the Community folder, start the game, and if we don’t like it, we just delete it and restart.

Thanks you Microsoft/Asobo.
Thank you modders.
Thank you FlyByWire, without A32NX I would probably only fly once a month.

4 Likes

Hello everyone.
The central flashing light on the stern of the A320 neo is not displayed after the 1.14.5.0 update.
Does this happen to anyone else?.
Does anyone have a solution ?.
Thanks.

Not to pick but I bought FS2020 from the “store”.
That make it a paid mod?

1 Like

@TallestParsley2, I’m sorry, but I don’t. In fact, I don’t even remember having such a test done on my system either the first time, or any one of the dozen or two other times I’ve had to reinstall it. But my wife would verify that I suffer from CRS Syndrome (Can’t Remember Sh!t), so it’s totally possible it happened and I just forgot it, or breezed right through it without even giving it a second thought.

BTW, thank you for the kind words, it really does mean a lot to me, and I guess it’s ironic, but it’s statements like that that also make me keep coming back here on a regular.

When you’re ready to build your new PC, reach back out to me, as that’s something I can help with. I can even literally build it for you, but not for free and we’d have to work out the logistics, but those are just details that we can worry about when the time comes.

FeltyWhisper484 thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good observations. I too have wondered about the “team” of people working at Microsoft and Asobo. No doubt, their workload includes other matters in which MSFS takes what priority? At the same time, and nowhere in your post were you critical on a personal level, but as many folks become understandably frustrated trying to use the simulator (sorry, I don’t think of flight simulation as a game), voicing these frustrations can easily cross the line from dialog to disrespect and insulting those tasked with the work. Thanks again and welcome.

1 Like

You’re missing a lot

I’ve been using mods since the start (now at over 45gb in my community folder) and never had any problem at all

Its not like you have to tweak things…
If its not working, just delete it

Hello - has anybody had issues with the PFD not switching on in the XCub since the update? I have started the engine, turned on battery and avionics, but the main display stays dark. Likely I am doing something wrong…

EDIT: Update – I saw others having same issue in bugs and issues forum. Restarting the flight worked for me. Strange.

Release Notes (1.14.5.0) Sim Update III

KNOWN ISSUES

• On rare occasions, Aircraft screens might not initialize correctly upon loading a flight. Please restart the flight to fix the issue.

[RELEASE] Release Notes (1.14.5.0) Sim Update III Now Available! - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m doing… x-Plane until/if they can figure out this crappy performance.

No, simply because it’s not appropriate for you to come into the forum and criticize and talk down to people about the way they like to use the simulator. It’s a broken feature in the game, and it should work for the people that enjoy it. Period. If you personally don’t like the feature, then complain to the team and ask to have it removed. In the meantime stop talking down to the people that enjoy it.

7 Likes

I agree with much of what you say, but the reasoning behind my post is that Asobo won’t test their releases with unofficial, free mods. They test their own builds (not very well, lol), and official third party devs will get early releases of test builds. There are some very respected and trusted modders, but often you don’t know what you get.

I have been very active in the DCS community. DCS doesn’t even allow you to file a bug report if you have any unofficial mods installed, because of the additional unknowns that make the business of reproducing bugs so much more challenging. If I had a dollar for every time I read an exchange like the following on the forums here and those of ED/DCS:

poster: Asobo/ED screwed up my plane in the most recent update.
helpful person: do you have any unofficial mods installed?
poster: yes, I did, but I uninstalled it before the update.
helpful person: then I don’t know what the problem could be
one day later, poster: Oops, I double checked, and somehow the mod did not get completely removed, now everything works fine.

I agree with you, the default airliners are ■■■■. That’s why I haven’t flown them and patiently await Aerosoft’s CRJ. That’s my choice, and I have not had a single problem installing the updates. That doesn’t mean other people have to make the same choices. I would be willing to bet money that many cases where people report installation/update issues are because of unofficial mods, but that’s just a guess really, what do I know…

2 Likes

I ended up just deleting the game, and reinstalling it without the updates. Works good now! Now if they can just fix the 10 degree increment on the heading indicator, we should be good to go, but not holding my breath.

1 Like

I’ll answer the questions to you because the other person doesn’t deserve my time.
First, his assumptions are wrong… I meant the AI AND the autopilot. They each have different behaviors, and they each have significant problems.

You can’t customize YouTube videos and Twitch streams with specific airports, flight routes, and real-time weather.

It’s a flight simulator. Real-world pilots in real-world airplanes use actual autopilot instruments, and even have a real-world copilot, which are all supposed to be simulated in the airplane. Would you fly a real airplane from Los Angeles to Amsterdam with no co-pilot, and opt to manually fly the plane the entire way, complaining that you don’t want “robots” to fly the plane? Of course not.

Sometimes I want to fly a 152 and simulate flight training. Sometimes I want to do some of the bush trips. Sometimes I like to jump into the cockpit of the 747 and try to figure out how it all works. Sometimes I like to buzz around and sight-see around different parts of the world. Sometimes I like to do things you could never do in real life, like fly underneath the Eiffel Tower. OR SOMETIMES I like to imagine I’m going on my next vacation, plug in a long-haul commercial flight, press AI Control Aircraft, select my favorite “Showcase” camera view, and let it do its thing while I do other things around the house with the flight going in the background. Or maybe I might want to cook dinner, and sit down and eat while enjoying the view. I certainly don’t want to sit on the couch and manually fly an airliner for 11 hours.

But if I end up having to sit there and manually fly the plane ANYWAY because these features aren’t working correctly (if at all), then it’s a frustrating experience.

4 Likes

You can tell that the vast majority of people complaining about some issue being broken by a mod have never coded a major piece of software in their lives. Complex systems are carefully balanced where it is very easy to break something when fixing something else. You certainly have QA people testing who, even if they are wonderful at their jobs, miss stuff and it makes it out to production. As a long time programmer, I can tell you the vibe I’m getting from Asobo is not one of coverup or incompetence. It’s one of a company struggling to satisfy everyone as quickly as they can. Quickly getting results out (and people are demanding that loudly) results in rushed programming which I can tell you professionally ALWAYS creates other bugs.

This sim has improved for me greatly since it was released and my flights now even over complex cities are smooth. That said, if I spend all my time zooming into features looking for anomalies, I’ll find them but in balance I’m in this to enjoy flying planes virtually not making this my vacation scenery experience. If I want a perfect view out the window where the trees stretch all the way out to the horizon, I’ll book an actual flight lesson again.

4 Likes

Tired of being strung along yet?

I’ve been in Dcs world and it is phenomenal. I would be surprised if Msfs ever catches up, ever.