Discussion: World Update III: United Kingdom

They are working on a fix according to their Discord: Discord

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Brunlea :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TheFlightSimGuy, thanks for doing that, I was about to skip what I was planning to do just to fly around Edinburgh to see if it really was as bad as @rob12770 described, but now I guess I donā€™t have to. Canā€™t say Iā€™m all that surprised, however.

Now Iā€™m going to try a flight into what should be a very snowy KDFW. Iā€™m switching the weather to daytime, so maybe Iā€™ll be able to catch a shadow, but given the weather currently going on there (I usually fly with real weather), Iā€™m not holding my breath.

EDIT: On the LOD stuff, are you talking about new changes, or the way itā€™s been for awhile now? I found a good solution for trees here, but the issues with others have been around for awhile now. My personal opinion is theyā€™re doing some testing for the XBox release, but it is just my personal opinion. But I couldnā€™t agree with you more that I would like the ability to choose for myself. If too close cause me problems, well, thatā€™s my problem, but without the ability to change it, I donā€™t even have a way of knowing.

100% I fully agree

This is great thanks Dev team :blush: Spotted a couple of bugs:

• Caernarfon Castle had a POI marker buy the model hadnā€™t loaded

• Blenheim Palace had a strange square glich in terrain height despite cleaning cache

Overall looks fantastic though :+1::+1::+1:

I was going to complain about not being able to updateā€¦ Of course, MS makes you update manually via the STORE versus a game updating when you launch it. Wasted a half hour trying to figure out why all the new content was available but said I needed to update the title. It knows you need the update yet forces you to close update manually, open the Store, check the store for update, open FS2020 again THEN update the content. What year is this?

I do have a question, can others confirm that if, for example you cap your data rate at 5mbs that also CAPS the UPDATE download rate? If so, how silly.

Any official word on the taxiway lights being scattered all over the place? They are at most of my payware airports and I am not super pleased about this. Why was this messed with in this update?

Is this something that will be hotfixed asap? This is a real immersion breaker and I hope that I donā€™t have to wait MONTHS for this to be addressedā€¦ :expressionless:

Have they fixed the closure of the old 2nd runway?

Iā€™ll be honest, I have mixed feelings about the download system for MSFS.

On one hand, I love that airports, aircraft and world updates are optional modules that can be downloaded on demand. But I have several gripes and/or wishes for the download system:

1. Replace the in-sim core package downloader/updater with an MMO styled patcher. This patcher would be outside of the main application, so it would launch very quickly, and could handle your main downloads without chewing through available system resources. It could also have other game launcher features such as announcements, link to patch notes, launch settings etc.

2. Program a fallback option for the downloader. If the connection to your nearest download server gets too slow or fragmented, fallback to an alternative server until the patcher finds one that works

3. Donā€™t require users to download updates through Steam/Windows store in-order to download package updates within the simulator. Make it so users can download them as soon as they show up as available.

4. Any core software code that needs to be updated should be updated through the launcher on initial load. The overall code of the launcher shouldnā€™t need to change unless bugs are found or a new feature needs to be added so users shouldnā€™t have to update this often.

1 Like

Not yet, but I will report this issue to the community managers so we can make sure people are aware of it.

1 Like

Itā€™s been like this for several months. I can see why it is needed, but I want more granular control.

1 Like

A quick statement for those of you asking about the Portsmouth/Southampton photogrammetry:

3D Photogrammetry is missing in the Portsmouth/Southampton area with the latest update and currently shows as auto-generated buildings. Our team is currently investigating.

• See the full list of known issues here

If you see any other threads asking about this, feel free to point them to this message.

TIA

2 Likes

I hope we get to a stage whereby mandatory downloads are very uncommon - a maximum of once per 6 months or so.

I can understand why that might be difficult today, with core elements of the sim still changing frequently, but even streaming of content should not be a reason to force such constant required updates.

1 Like

I have to say I love the new update. Download went quick and smooth which was nice considering the update was just launched.

Iā€™m not flying in the UK so I donā€™t know what that looks like. Iā€™m more interested in the tweaks done with the game. The water edges look great, I havenā€™t seen any elevation spikes, and the in cockpit lighting is much better (not so dark). I didnā€™t see this listed in the release notes so maybe itā€™s a result of cloud changesā€¦?

Thanks again Asobo, what a great product.

I donā€™t have an issue with some of the content being optional. Some folks donā€™t have the space. I believe the world updates should be part of the core mandatory game so that everyone operates from the same base. Enhancements can be added on to that. I primarily agree with your other points. Hopefully you can get some traction.
Thanks for the reply.

I saw a topic on this earlier, but I cannot find it. If you know the topic/post could you PM me a link so I can forward it to the CMs in the morning.

Wow the glass half empty brigade are out in force. If you donā€™t like it, get a refund and move on. Go and buy AFS2 or Flyinside, or go back to XP11. Some people donā€™t know they are born.

1 Like

I found a bug report about the issue but, it got closed by a moderator team member due to irrelevance by stating 3rd party items are not of the dev teamā€™s interest.

1 Like

That was indeed the topic, thank you.

I will chat with the CMs in the morning and get some feedback to see if this is an MS/Asobo issue or a third-party dev issue.

1 Like