Discussion: World Update III: United Kingdom

Tried to update last night, still failed. FS is starting, showing nice UK Wallpaper, then proceeds with World-Update 2 USA. Marketplace still grayed out and is not accessible.
Done all the Cache cleaning, no community add-ons, no additional scenerys installed.
What is the ultimative solution to get the access to the markeplace and download the WorldUpdate3 UK ??

The low speed connection good be the problem.
When i test it with
802.11n - 2,4 GHz - 40 Mb/s
802.11ac - 5 GHz - 250 Mb/s

I see a difference in building up the Photogrammartry scenery.
London is a big problem, buildings looks like melted, but in less crowded area’s with 802.11ac - 250 Mb/s internet speed the Photogrammertry looks okĂ©.
Photogrammertry has a high server load in crowded area’s and therefore the server speed and local down speed make a big difference.

First off have you emptied your rolling cache?

I believe only Blackpool Tower itself has been represented, not the piers. There is an excellent third party addon for Blackpool on Flightsim.to. Has all the piers, amusement park, seafront buildings and, of course, the tower.

yes i did that thanks 
 i’ll check again lol

Sounds like it might be the cause then, as I have a 350Mbps connection, but I’d expect that a 30Mbps connection should still be easily enough.

I have flown a couple of times over the UK since the update, but have been flying more in the Caribbean and the USA.

I’ll visit London, a trip that I’d usually avoid at all costs IRL, and see if I suffer the same “slowdwown” in performance.

That’s true for fixed wing but Helicopters obviously fly at much lower altitudes into built up areas. We had an air ambulance a few years ago landing in the car park of our local Tesco.

1 Like

Thats true, by the time helicopters are a thing in the sim they could continue to improve the graphics. Still I think it looks decent even from up close, there isn’t any sim doing a better job.

I get hit and miss with photogrammetry at the moment over London, Rome on the other hand looked really good, incredibly good actually, I was amazed how good the colosseum looked. And that is what surprises me with London, something just seems a bit off with it at the moment.

3 Likes

Venice looks great as well.

For the UK, I’ve been to a few places, and all of them look very nice from above. My favourite so far is Cambridge, merely because it is the one I am very familiar with.

As something of a corollary perhaps to the idea the the computer simulation realism falls apart with ones familiarity with the city in question, the PG re-enforces that realism for me. I recognise the market place, the University buildings, Addenbrookes hospital, it enhances the simulation instead of tarnishing it as auto-gen does.

1 Like

Yeah it looks great Venice, really nice.

Those are the warning lights for radio and cell towers etc, except the funny thing is they forgot to draw the towers in-game. There used to be towers in previous version but now all we get in mysterious floating lights.

1 Like

The poor PG and generally poor performance over London is definitely being caused by overload on the servers on account of too many people flying over the same area I think. I just fired up the sim and took off from London City airport and was getting 15FPS and the PG looked terrible. Eventually the sim froze and I got a CTD, and I very, very rarely get CDT these days.

1 Like

Don’t forget also to check Content Manager for uninstalled updates - The World Update 3 for me left the POI’s and Barra uninstalled and I had to download from Profile → Content Manager.

Basically what you’re saying, send the frontend developers home so the backend developers can do their thing. Nothing changes other than there would be less updates.

I don’t know, maybe it does free up resources to hire people who know a thing of two about aerodynamics? Anyway I don’t think its fair to complain about the scenery not looking right from up really close, it already looks so much better than anything else on the market, thats how this discussion began. Its a flight simulator, it doesn’t have to look decent below lets say 500 ft because you wouldn’t normally go any lower in real life. Would be nice though, but shouldn’t be a priority.

If you turn off photo below looks pretty good and runs pretty smooth on ultra. I do have to give it this much this is the 1st Flight Sim, that doesn’t get where it cant produce the scenery at low levels as you travel through it.

ie in FS9 and FSX the scenery would be fine at low levels for awhile then the game engine would get to the point that it couldnt keep up with drawing the scene vs the speed of your plane and often times you end up just seeing featureless landscape. So again Kudos for that feature 
 but there are still alot of ‘shame on you’ issues with this game at the moment.

Bit narrow-minded and shortsighted if you ask me. You’re guessing too much. People are complaining just as much about how the simulator looks. Instead of sending developers home you should ask for a few extra developers to fix your issues.

I had a similar problem with some of the other POIs that I fly from (I too do Blackpool to Warton a lot).

First make sure you’ve installed the update obviously from the marketplace.

Then delete the cache in your options.

Then I had to turn off photometry off

I flew. I quit out.

I turned it back on again.

All worked fine.

I think you are guessing just as much as me, nobody knows except Asobo, we can only speculate how to do things better. I’m just a stupid pilot so what do I know, I have zero knowledge about programming. Some people are primarily interested in the nice graphics, some people are more interested in accurate flight simulation, both would be best but so far the only improvements I have seen are in the graphics. No low visibility / RVR simulation, no offset approaches, since last update the flight model is completely broken and all aircraft are floating for miles in ground effect. Its hard to imagine any of this would have happend when working closely with real world professionals. I wouldn’t say they are “my” issues, there are more people seeing those as issues, and since everyone runs the same version of the sim it affects everyone. Some people might not be interested in those kind of things, thats another discussion.

1 Like

No, even when you follow the A320 landing tutorial by the book, you can’t get your plane on the ground. It just floats back up when you’re at around 60ft. Even killing the throttle just before isn’t sufficient.