Discussion: World Update III: United Kingdom

Just looking at the topography, it is possible that the amount of elevation data and resolution may be affecting performance.

I thought that, but it would have to be quite concentrated to one area. Fly a few miles North, or South and it’s fine again. I didn’t see it anywhere else in the Shetland’s, or at least the bits I visited.

This is the reason why maybe we should wait a bit as probably the server system over London is overload. The strange thing is that the dev team didn’t write or announce anything about it and we are here to make suppositions.

At least they could make a small announcement and inform the community what’s going on. Would be very appreciated.

Edinburgh invaded by UFO’s
strange orbs in the sky

I actually quite like the slightly rough look of some photogrammatry. At least it gives things that slightly weathered, slightly dirty, slightly real look. By comparison that Orbix Sydney city scenery just looks way to clean and perfect for me. It looks artificial in the sim. A bit like the 3D models of the UK POI. The houses of parliament and buckingham palace really stand out almost jarringly against the rest of the London PG.

I find this debate quite funny. If you had told me even 18 months or 2 years ago I’d be flying over an accurate model of London in an entire planet Earth spanning flight simulator I’d have a hard time believing it. The next gen tech powering FS2020 is incredible. It really is a marvel. I find it funny that people are all too ready to pick holes in it for not being quite perfect enough. And thats not even taking into consideration all these world updates are totally free. I can’t imagine any other game developer in the world providing this sort of content without charging a hefty premium for it.

13 Likes

Ok looking good well a lot better, only gripe is we now have a lot of rivers where roads where and the farm and dog pound behind us is now a multi storey block of flats I’m sure the farmer is happy and the dogs must be out of there minds living in a multi story condo, but apart from that not bad.

1 Like

Yeah but that’s your decision how you want to play this sim. Others want to fly low and that’s ok too. Why not? It’s a flying sim. As long as you’re in the air you are flying. :wink:

After all we got ultralights and helicopters will come sometime in the future. There are choppers flying between skyscrapers in big citys. So it’s not even unrealistic to replicate that.

Really weak argument with the driving simulator. After all we’re not taxiing around all the time. If you are happy flying 3000ft above ground - good for you. I’d like to do aerobatics between highrise buildings and try to land and takeoff in the streets. That’s the fun of a simulator - nothing bad can happen. :wink:

So please stop telling people what’s “real” flying and what’s not. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

9 Likes

that was my thoughts exactly when i read that. :+1:

2 Likes

Totally agreed.

In fact VFR flying should be all about flight dynamics (and scenery obviously)

1 Like

Random question: do the version numbers have some kind of meaning? Do they say somethig about the types / size of the update?

I have the same issue now with the horizon outlined. My sharpening is already at “0”

It seemed to me an unusual amount ground effect shot me off the end of the runway at Toronto, a couple of times in the landing challenge, then in free flight in my 172. I thought it was probably just me, but perhaps not?

well, they have to cater for all kinds of users, inc people like me, i fly low in light aircraft and enjoy the scenery rather than hardcore flight simulation
 but i hear you.

1 Like

My VR experience is ruined by the update. Constant jittering even in the Main Menu screens. Never happened before and I prevously had a great experience.

I’m having the same issue with the CV1. Was fabulous before the update now - unplayable. Not happy.

1 Like

My CV1 runs at least as well as before the update, so you may have some changes to make, but it is possible.

I run MSFS on a 5800x, GTX1080, 32GB RAM, so if you have as good as or probably a better spec than that, you should be able to get it to work.

Of course, the results will be subjective, but I certainly get no stuttering.

Keep at it. :slight_smile:

You can’t expect the sim to look good in this unrealistic scenario, it is after all a flight simulator and nobody in the real world should fly below 1000 ft of the highest obstacle in built-up areas, unless for the purpose of take-off or landing (no I don’t mean on a street :joy:). Sure you could, just expect the graphics not to be that good.

I don’t think the developers should put time in making the sim pretty for everyone’s limited use case, the sim already looks 100x better than anything on the market. They should focus less on the visuals and more on for example flight dynamics.

You wouldn’t do this in real life so it is not, its fun, but its not real flying.

3 Likes

Hi, I have an I7 6700, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080ti, SSD and 30mbs connection.

The only change has been the World Update. I’m seeing others with the same issue, so I’m sure it is a bug.

I don’t think the technology is the problem, rather the implementation.

Google maps/earth shows quite clearly how much better photogrammetry can look if done well. Obviously still not perfect, but the difference is very significant.

5 Likes

Hi Folks 

Can Anyone tell me how to see Blackpool Tower and The Piers ?
I have installed UK update and have all sliders and settings at Max/ultra/full

Taking off from Blackpool Airport (EGNH) And turning North up along the coast
This “SHOULD” Show me the Piers and Tower 
 I see Nothing but naked coastline and a few buildings
:frowning: