Disk 1 having to keep in pc

I don’t know whether this is the right place but why in 2020 do I have to leave disk 1 in my pc. I know it has to be authenticated but once you have registered MSFS why do I have to leave disk 1 in the pc. What happens if this is damaged? This is only for the disk sets and not the downloaded version.
Many thanks.

1 Like

Just copy the contents of Disk 1 (minus the largest file) and burn them to an ISO file then mount it as a drive.

If the disc as any kind of copy protection on it, then burning an ISO and mounting it will not work. It would be quite remarkable if Microsoft didn’t use any copy protection at all.

Handle the disc with extra care. That’s what we all had to do back in the day before large downloadable digital media was a thing.

2 Likes

Format a USB device as DVD drive, and give it the same name as the DVD - MFS DISK 1, then copy all files from Disk 1 to the drive.
I had to go this way, because my computer has no DVD drive built-in.

Thanks for your reply yes I have been around some time and as you say that is what we had to do but then they began to put some sort of code so that you didn’t have to keep the disk in the drive. I have tried to copy as an ISO but that didn’t work and I have been keeping the disk in the drive as don’t use it these days until I got MSFS. 2 steps forward and 1 back.

Thanks for reply but no didn’t work so they have put a block on copying I would have been surprised if they hadn’t. In the 80’s they used to put a code in so you didn’t have to keep disk in drive. 2 steps forward and 1 back. Crazy in this modern world to do that especially as you have to register it to your user.

Lots of us with disk versions have done this so I dont know why you seem to be having trouble. I have not needed disk one since I installed the game, nor have lots of others. Search for Disk One ISO on the forum. It can be done I assure you.

1 Like

because whats to stop you selling the disk on to someone else for $$$ then keeping the sim for yourself. Like you say it is 2020 almost 2021 so if you dont want to keep using disks dont buy a disk version.

2 Likes

I agree with @chrisross106677

In 2020 you shouldn’t have bought the disk/dvd version.

Perhaps you can ask Microsoft nicely if they could do you a favor by cancelling your dvd version and replacing it with a Microsoft Store version.

1 Like

This is strange. I installed from the disk version (only from Disk 1, the other 9 disks sit nicely in the box untouched. What is on them, God only knows).

Later I ran into problems and decided to uninstall everything and reinstall, this time from Microsoft Store. No issues here as the installation went flawlessly.
So I shoud have a Store version and not a Boxed version. Nevertheless, the simulator will not run without the dongle plugged into a USB port.

That’s very easy for you to say but our internet speed with the Post Office is very unstable at the moment and very slow, (Cornwall) I just took a new contract out in June. This type of comment doesn’t help us of a certain age. I bought the disk set due to above reason. Anyway thank you for replying.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds interesting can I do that without added cost? Mine kept asking me to put the next disk in on installation. Please bare with me as I am at a certain time of life when the old grey matter don’t work as fast as it did do.

Thanks for your reply I will certainly try that I tried free software to make an ISO but time of life not sure what I am doing. Thanks and let you all know how I get on. Stay safe.

Because the disks are literally useless without the single-use activation code that is bound to YOUR XBox account. There is already a copy protection using the license key.

This ridiculous DVD check is totally easy to circumvent by creating a small ISO file because Microsoft, Asobo and Aerosoft know that it doesn’t provide any additional protection. Nor that is needed at all.

There is NO difference of protection between buying an online key or the DVD version.

But since this will not change, use imgburn or similar application, make an ISO file from the smaller files on the DVD (or the full DVD if it’s easier) and make a batchfile that automatically mounts the ISO before starting the sim.

Oh and by the way: I bought the DVD version since it was cheaper due to a discount and also I hoped to get a nice manual. But the contained booklet isn’t worth the resources it’s printed on, in my opinion.
Also there was at the point of sales NO hint whatsoever that the DVD is required to play. That’s not to be expected in 2020, since basically ALL games allow you to simply put in the license key from the DVD box and download the game. In most cases I never took out the DVD at all.

1 Like

Yes, you can download at no extra cost, because you are already registered as a legal user.
I will try to go the ISO way and let you know, if I succeed.
Takes time, I guess, I am also part of the gray gold - just turned 69.

1 Like

No worries, you’ll be helped. That’s what a community is for.
Here’s a HowTo with detailed steps:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tip-for-dvd-users-save-drive-space/199070

1 Like

What stops a person selling the disks is the fact that there is a code that can only be redeemed once via the MS store after the game is installed. The disks are of no use to anybody else without a valid code to activate the game.

I have lots of software on disk, it doesnt need to be used to run software once installed. This idea of keeping the disk in the machine is a gaming console idea, it has no place on a PC installation where game files are copied to local storage.

And to be perfectly frank, after the issues many had trying to download 90 plus GBytes of game from the store, the disk version seemed like a sensible move, 2020 or otherwise.

You hit the nail on the head there, you have to redeem the code and it took me all day 13hrs to download the 30gb of updates once I had loaded the the disks. So multiply 30gb x 3 goodness only knows how long it would have taken. Also cannot get Fibre have the pole outside my gate 30ft away but Openreach have the monopoly so can only go via them.

1 Like

Same here. I feel like I should go grab my shovel. :grin:

Hi I have searched on the forum for ‘‘Disk One ISO’’ and can find no trace has it been taken off?
Many thanks