Ditched Xbox and went for a mid-range gaming PC

Hey guys, just what the title says. Firstly, I hope I’m posting this in the right place.

I’ve finally made the move to buy a new gaming PC. Nothing really high end I’d say, more like somewhere that is mid-range.

FPS wise, it’s not bad. I’ve been getting 30-35 FPS constantly. Sometimes it dips to 28 but jumps up. At high altitudes, it hits high 30s. This is mostly with the FBW A32X at Medium settings, on the ground at a payware airport. At high end settings, I get stutters and the FPS sits between 29-31. At FL380, it maxes out at 37 FPS with v-sync on. I’m curious to know, as I’m about to provide my specs, what are some performance tips and is there any way to get the most out of my system?

My specs are:

i5-10600K @ 4.1 - 4.8 GHz
GTX 1660 Super (VRAM 6GB)
16GB RAM @ 2666Hz

Any guides, tips, hints to maximise performance is welcome.

Note: Even if my Series X is more powerful, I couldn’t care any less. My personal experience with Xbox has been awful. It has also been boring without any mods. Which is why I’m quite happy with my new PC - which happens to be more stable than the game on the XSX.

1 Like

Moved topic to #self-service:pc-hardware for better visibility, as no MSFS bugs were reported.

This might be of help: Tweaking Settings - #4 by GAZA350
@Grabber523 seems of poste lots of really helpful tips - which I intend to follow.

Your post is of interest as I am about build a new PC with an i5-12600k - but using my old GTX1660 Super until (if) GPU prices are more affordable.

I have seen a few people using the same card that get reasonable performance by ensuring they correctly adjust settings to full just short of max CPU and GPU loading.

Also see: which others seem to of found useful.

Would be really interesting to hear how you get on.

1 Like

Get an extra 16g ram, Msfs will use more than 16g if it sees it on your system. 32g is the sweet spot now.

I am now on PC having been on XBox X originally. I was running FS last year on my PC (laptop) with a NVidia P1000 cad graphics card - close to a 1060 in performance. It was on a HP ZBook / Intel i7. I captured the settings I had back then so you can compare.

I did have 32GB RAM installed, so although FS uses only 16GB it’s good to have more just for windows o/s headroom. Make sure your windows desktop is same res as FS is outputting so if it’s 1920x1080 make ‘Full Screen Resolution’ in FS graphics options is set to ‘1920x1080’. If you are GPU limited then reduce render scale as you can see I did in my settings below. (and I was still GPU limited) reduce further for more GPU perforance, but it’s up to you re how much lower render res you can visually tolerate, it’s a balancing act. Maybe the 1060 can do a better job than the P1000 at rendering 1080 but it’s worth trying the render scale reduction to add performance.

The only other change I’d make is try with the VSync ON and locked 30FPS fix as desribed in the Pilot Pete video linked above which is well worth watching and trying the settings metioned in it. FPS should really be targetted for a constant 30FPS in my mind with 60Hz refresh rate.

Below was my ‘optimised’ laptop FS graphics settings back then in November, and I used to get anywhere from 26-33FPS from memory without locking at 30FPS (as I didn’t know about that trick back then. FS honestly still looked nice running with these settings.

This is not true. Since MSFS was released on to xbox they changed the coding so that it wouldn’t use more RAM than the xbox has. I forget the exact amount. This may change in the future, I certainly hope so anyway but at this point in time more RAM is not going to benefit the guy.

It does. Windows uses RAM too. Quite extensively. FS on a 32GB machine run FS at close to 16GB. It’s nice for the O/S not having that RAM maxed out like it most likely is on the XBox.