DLSS:DLAA Mode highly recommended! It’s WOW!

You’re right - something learned today:

“Nvidia Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA) is an anti-aliasing feature that uses the same pipeline as Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS). In short, it’s DLSS with the upscaling portion removed. Instead of upscaling the image, Nvidia is putting its A.I.-assisted tech to work for better anti-aliasing at native resolution.”

Nevertheless, this does not change the fact that choosing DLSS mode does not require you to select any resolution as it renders at lower resolution than one’s monitor and provide you the pictures in your native resolution.

FPS gain is system-dependent, on my system FPS are slightly better with DLSS:DLAA than TAA, other DLSS modes such as quality and balanced are unusable for me because of the unclear cockpit textures and displays, tapes, etc…

TAA for me is unusable because of outside artifacts, blurry fences and shimmering lines which is why DLSS:DLAA is my mode of choice at this moment. DX12 performance is worse than DX11 on my rig. To mention is that I have a AMD Sharpening set to 150 and Image Sharpening set to 20 within NVCP. Overall I am happy with the performance but will upgrade to a AMD 5800x3D in the future, currently running an i5-9600k at 5.1 GHz combined with an RTX 2080 SUPER.

4 Likes

Think you’ll find dlss+ dlaa upscales, aliases at a higher resolution and then downscales back to native using AI to keep the better quality aliasing. Because it’s not posting before then there is relatively minimal overhead.

Couldnt say it better myself.

1 Like

Ok that makes more sense. Your original post said you get incredible fps gains (unless I misinterpreted), which is only true when DLSS is running in performance, balanced or quality mode - because then it renders at a lower resolution and upscales it to native resolution. That’s why small text looks so blurry. Whereas DLAA always renders @ native res.

For most people DLAA & TAA should be roughly the same performance and which you prefer will come down to personal preference.

1 Like

As far as I understand its the DeepLearning part of the DLSS or DLAA or DL** that causes the smeared blurry issues with fast changing numbers and text.

DLAA isn’t that blurry. DLSS is blurry because it renders at like half the resolution. The detail just isn’t there at those lower resolutions.

1 Like

Im referring to the ghosting/smearing that happens on fast changing numbers. Which is a side effect of Deep Learning.

TAA does that too, and it’s not using AI (deep learning).

1 Like

Wow, it looks really good in VR! Much nicer than TAA, especially for the scenery.

1 Like

Hello everybody!

With an RTX4070ti together with a 5800X3D I got better results with DLSS + Quality , with AMD Sharpening at 60. You can check here the result translated into images:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/amd-5800x3d-performance/510937/838?u=ultrarr3660

:sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:t2:

It really doesnt. I think we must be explaining different issues. Its a known issue with DL**.
TAA doesnt have the same ghosting/smearing of fast changing numbers most noticably on glass displays using Deep Learning algorithms. There are plenty of examples and comparisons out there.

• Blurry digital displays even at 4K
  • Severe ghosting
  • Integral lights of cockpits looking funky
  • Water bodies behaving weirdly
  • Night lighting being dimmer
  • No performance benefit
3 Likes

Sorry, you are right. I was skim reading. TAA has that issue with objects when panning, but numbers do seem to be ok.

I’ve been using DLAA Super Resolution for quite some time and noice I don’t get the shimmering like I was getting with TAA. Yes the screens are not as sharp but the imagine quality is still better for me.

1 Like

The AMD Sharpening used with TAA does help reduce it a lot more imo. Not perfect, but better. I just can’t get over blurry text with DLAA (even worse with DLSS).

1 Like

I can confirm this. Otherwise, I noted a very slight uptick in the FPS. The glass panel thing doesn’t make the plane unflyable, but it looks horrible and I’ve gone back to TAA.

2 Likes

At first sight yes but it is not unreadable, you get used to it at least I did. It’s just that you have to zoom in more often

Yup. Just decided to go back to trying DLSS/DLAA. I am now using DLSS with Performance mode on a 4k Gsync monitor. Vsync is also on at 50% (my monitor is 60hz). DX11 and most settings are high/ultra. TLOD is 115 and LOD is 175. I am CPU limited with an 8086K but I have a 2080ti so the DLSS is really helping right now.
I have a second monitor and I am using AIG traffic at 30% with some GA traffic as well.
I am at KJFK its really sticking close to 30fps which for a large airport, with a ton of mods, in high fidelity planes…is really impressive right now.

1 Like

No it’s not, I have a 4080 and a 7800x3d. DX12 with FG on and TAA is the most clear for glass cockpits. It’s hard to read any text in the FBW A320 at night with anything other than TAA. DLSS with DLAA or Quality are terrible as far as reading cockpit lettering and instrumentation. Mind you I’m also using HDR on a 55in OLED.

1 Like

DLSS on Quality works fine in the Fenix. Everything readable. (4k, LG C2 TV, GSync). If its not readable you may have a different problem (tearing?).