DLSS similar to TAA or slightly less FPS on my system

It depends on how you define performance. I noticed a sizable drop in GPU load with DLSS enabled over having TAA enabled. GPU went from 70% GPU utilisation (SU9) to 85% GPU utilisation (SU10, TAA) to 56% GPU utilisation (SU10, DLSS), this was all at 4K output & DX11. I’d equate that to a performance increase with it. So much so that I’m going to keep using it. Note: I don’t measure FPS as a performance metric as I lock my system at 30FPS/60Hz. If you are CPU limited then you may not notice improvement as CPU limited situations create their own set of problems that need to be addressed before assessing DLSS performance.

1 Like

This. Finally see sharp runways textures that were formerly blurry. One setting changed was TAA → DLSS “Balanced”. Also a slight FPS bump.

1 Like

I run DX11 4K Ultra (TLOD 300) with TAA. I tried DLSS Quality on my 3080 and it helped with frames in the air (45 to 55fps) but no difference on the ground. Seemed a little blurrier, went back to TAA.

Im not seeing a significant difference as well, but continually learn from others.

Question… When I activated DLSS to explore impact, I then see DLSS version info & more permanently displayed in the lower left corner of MSFS; Anyone else have this? Trying to figure out how to remove. Hopefully something simple I am overlooking. Thanks!!

These are my graphic settings (I have a 400mbps Internet connection)

You will.

It’s because… DLSS renders at a lower rez.

So if you are native 4K… Quality renders at 2K. Balanced at 1080p and Performance at 720p.

I find that at Balanced I get a bit of shimmering and a few jaggies … which I hate, but at 2K internal (Quality DLSS) I cannot tell difference between it, and native 4K with no DLSS.

It is very good.

So yes, you will see a commensurate decrease in GPU demand.

But the DLSS makes it look better than running at lower native rez without the bluriness of TAA.

1 Like

Because on the ground you are CPU limited.

Go to JFK… and play with the LOD, Ai traffic, workers etc and see the massive difference it makes.

You need to reduce Ai stuff until you are over your target fps …in my case 30. So I have Ai stuff at 20.

Then once you’re up and away… GPU is more relevant, and the benefits of DLSS kick in big time.

So at JFK I’m at 35 to 40.

Once I’m over NYC with the PG scenery… I’m up to 50 to 58.

1 Like

reduce your TLOD to 190…

Seems lots of users have wrong understanding what DLSS is , what it can do and what it can fix.

It can not fix the Main-Thread-Topic. It can may be reduce it a bit, because the down-scale, but it is for GPU performance and not CPU performance.

PS: by the way… a 3090 for Full-Hd resolution… it like drive with a tank to the supermarket. You never need DLSS :wink:

2 Likes

I’m currently trying AA on DLSS. I did notice a small boost in fps on the ground, but only about a 5 fps increase. I’m not sure I can say that the graphics are sharper, but I can say print on gauges is worse with DLSS on. I’ll probably switch back to TAA. I was just interested in the difference with DLSS.

Windows 11 (21H2)
I9-10900k 3.7 GHz CPU
RTX 2060 (with 516.94)
32 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DD4 3600 MHz RAM
ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XIII Motherboard.
DX11

Thank you for your time & help! I will give this a try today. I’ve not attempted anything with DLSS prior to the SU10 update full release.

My system: Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB DDR4, Samsung Pro SSDs, PNY RTX 3090, Samsung Odyssey G7 32".

When I updated my Nvidia driver to the studio version 517.40, this disappeared.

Thanks! I had 516.94 “game ready” and missed the “stuidio” version being posted!

but be aware that

have nothing to do with the driver. It is a setting… as example explained here:

Well,had a couple of flights , been tinkering with what I have read on the forums

Had a great flight this morning from EGCC to LPFR using AIG , DX12 , DLSS , FPS locked by RTSS at 40 fps flying the PMDG 737-800
Ramped up the AMD slider to 200 and reduced my texture resolution from ultra to high
Other settings a mix of high and ultra , clouds on ultra
Buttery smooth flight, best. Have ever had in the sim
My specs:
Gpu 2080 super 8gb vram undervolted
Cpu 10700k
32gb 3600mhz ram
Nvme 1tb
Studio driver 517.40
Monitor 1440p

Only issue is the slight ghosting of the fmc numbers, but not a major issue if you have DLSS on quality
The only other issue was the payware EGCC airport on taking off from 23L slight artifacting of cars shimmering across the runway
But at the payware LPFR airport all looked great

Hope it wasn’t a one off :thinking:

I’m amazed at how good it looks given the 2K rendering and upscale. You’d really never know. The XBox X uses some similar technique to render at 2K and output at 4K.

Roger & thanks again!

1 Like

Again, thanks! The RegEdit worked perfectly!

1 Like

I’m sure this one is obvious, but I’m brain-dead at the moment from a very long day…

“FPS locked by RTSS at 40…” What does RTSS stand for? It is escaping me at the moment.

Thanks!!

Honestly I do not display the FPS option and I count of the general smoothness all around and the whole experience is very satisfying even in dense areas…

And yes, you are right, also my 3090 on the HD TV is like a sport’s car engine in a yaris? :thinking:

But this is supposed to be a temporary thing as I will get a 4K high fps TV hopefully after Christmas…