Do I need a link cable with the Oculus Quest 2?

To me the difference was huge: with Link cable and Oculus OpenXR, my “headroom” (as displayed in Tray Tool overlay) was at best -200 but would easily deteriorate to very unstable -500 to lower than -1000.

I agree that there must be other factors and issues that made my Link cable worked so badly in MSFS. It’s a good thing we can have two VR solutions here that may suit different people with different expectations.

BTW, I have a slow CPU which often becomes the bottleneck in MSFS. Lesser CPU usage may mean big difference in my case.

Yes, I modify the registry, And still no full vr. Just the flat virtual curved panel.

But did you notice that the MSFS image within that curved panel was 3D like in VR? You turned head it just followed? And SteamVR control panel remained in front?

If so, left controller menu key should work. If not, you might get light blue empty VR just as what I got last night. This meant MSFS VR worked but SteamVR failed to put you inside. I had to restart the whole sequence to fix that.

If your panel was just flat like in desktop, without even split screen, then MSFS failed to start VR mode.

Yes I tried that. And it’s failing to get me in VR. Maybe an update from ms will fix it? I am crazy now, have tried every suggestion to no avail. Don’t understand why I hoy split screen twice the day of launch and since then nothing

I’ve done that a couple of times, but it keeps getting back turned on. Any way to make the change permanent?

The changes you make in the debug tool are not permanent. Setting the Oculus PC app to the Public test channel is a permanent solution though.

No. I’ve been playing it via Virtual Desktop via Steam VR. I think it works better tho at the moment using OpenXR and the link cable.

1 Like

I would certainly think it should be better with Link and OpenXR.
Plus no worries with low battery.

That worked. Many thanks.

1 Like

No you don’t which is what’s nice about the Q2(wireless or wired). The Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop is capable of obtaining the same performance/quality or better than using the Link cable. Of course this depends on dialing in both SteamVR/VD settings and your 5Ghz wireless network capability.

I’ve dialed in my settings and can obtain 24-30 FPS with MSFS2020 Ultra Settings using my Quest 2 via virtual desktop. I set my streaming bitrate in VD to 73Mbps with 100% resolution scale within the SteamVR application. I have been going back and forth between using Link and VD with the the same Ultra settings set in MSFS220, and quite frankly I’m obtaining the same FPS/performance/visual quality via virtual desktop as I do with when using the Link cable. The only drawback using VD is battery life opposed to using Link which trickle charges the Quest 2 while using it.

Here’s a screenshot taken via VD screenshot tool during one of my flights. Sorry screenshot is compressed until I figure out how to retrieve the uncompressed version from Virtual Desktop’s file structure.

1 Like

Hi I’m a new Quest 2 and HMD user. I manged to get MSFS to play wireless after a lot of configuration and testing. I still have some doubt:

Does Nvidia driver version 466.14 still makes a difference for Quest 2 + VD Streamer due to the SteamVR bug? Or I can update to 457.30 or any latest driver? I’m using 1080 Ti so I don’t need the latest driver.

I’m using SteamVR Beta 1.16, and tried 1.15 stable, doesn’t see much different. I can’t get 1.14 Linux to work, anyone has any luck or does it make a different too?

Not sure what SteamVR bug you talked about is, but I did find that SteamVR occasionally failed to load MSFS VR (only seen blue or grey voidness even if I could see 3D cockpit with SteamVR menu in front before pressing left menu key). I had to load MSFS directly from VD without starting SteamVR first (it would still be loaded but was never in the way) to avoid that annoying issue. If the space bar didn’t respond after that in VR, it’s because SteamVR took the focus, so clicking MSFS icon on windows task bar would help.

1 Like

While setting up my new Oculus Q2, I was having success and then after loading Virtual Desktop, when I removed my headset, all my monitor screens on my pc were black. Windows was running but no signal is being received on my monitors.
I can only reboot by cold shutting off pc, and it come up black every time. How could Virtual desktop effect my monitors like that on Win 10?

VD streamer has one optional (not default) setting which will log you off when exit VR. Maybe you can uncheck that.

Last night I tested Oculus Link again, using same SteamVR set-up as with WiFi. Although Oculus Link connection test showed 1.7GB/s connection speed, MSFS VR was still unplayable because performance was horrible.

It’s well documented in other thread. If most of the Quest 2 users doesn’t know about it I guess it’s not an issue over here.

It might only be due to the combination of Display Port and SteamVR to the headset which causes the problem. AFAIK what we see in Quest 2 is streaming encoded video, that’s why the latency is higher.

I am wondering if the connection speed of 1.7 is high enough? I get about 2.3/2.4. Are you using a usb 3.1 connection or usb 2? If usb 2 I would try a usb 3.1 port.

I have USB 3.0 port but on an 8 year old main board. Lots of other USB ports are used so maybe the actual USB 3.0 bandwidth is even lower.

Nevertheless, the tested results of 1.7 GB/s should be more than enough for MSFS data transmission, but the performance was still much more horrible than using WiFi streaming.

The WiFi streaming is quite impressive TBH. I can even cast the gameplay onto a TV while playing with WiFi streaming.

I really hope some tech people can explain to us how WiFi streaming really works and why it could do so well: With bandwidth remain the same, what’s the main (design and programming) factor to decide a WiFi streaming performance? How high priority is WiFi streaming normally given in CPU processes? Does it ever utilize GPU or Quest 2’s own calculation power?