Do we still need both versions of the Garmin GNS 430/530

I have noticed that the AP (KAP140) turns itself on in the PC-6 sometimes (usually right after you have turned it off).

But interested to note that the PMS mod still works over the top of the new stock one.

Huh! Im still stuck with 1.1.3, and no update available. So the addon with the text thumbnail is the new stock one from AAU1?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply but I’m a little lost.

Which / how do I know if frequencies are “invalid”? Is there a certain “test frequency” like 123.456 that should be avoided?

What is / where is a SET variable?

Consider Frequencies ending in .*xx

where xx is

20 <<< INVALID
45 <<< INVALID
70 <<< INVALID
95 <<< INVALID

ie every 5th one

INVALID as well are Frequencies ending in

ie 122.059 is Invalid

1 Like

Thanks.

Moral of the story - switch back to known good frequencies prior to shutting down.

or

Make checking ability to tune the radios, parts of the “Before engine start Test”

No, it is a bit different:
In the base sim, there are now two packages:

1. AS430/530 (the old Asobo Garmin)
  2. WT430/530 (the new Working Title Garmin from AAU1)

Which version is used is set in the config files of the aircraft (panel.cfg). Many aircraft (at least 3rd party ones) will still have the AS-version in their configuration (also for example the new Transall).

If you install the Marketplace “mod”, this just replaces the AS-version with the WT-version. There are no other files in the mod, it is just a link to the base sim WT GNS package. So that the Marketplace version has a different version number than the base game package is misleading as it is just a link. An aircraft that is set to the AS-Garmin will thus use the WT-Garmin.

2 Likes

Wow this is great info thanks. If only this were made more obvious to end users. I am sure there are a ton of folks having issues because of this confusion.

So bottom line seems to be, there’s no harm in having both. I am guessing this still applies to the current beta too.

2 Likes

In a way
 So with the Marketplace-version, you can force the new WT-GNS on any airplane. If the dev of a certain airplane consciously chose to use the old Asobo-version and not the WT-version, then you will override this and possibly run into compatibility problems.

3 Likes

How do you force a 3rd party add on installed to the community folder to use the WT 530/430? Specifically the WB-Sim 172 and the Black Square mods?

It looks like WB-Sim is still using the PMS50 in the Config folder. Not sure why they would choose this over WT 530. They really need to update this airplane.

Don’t you mean :
“Not sure why they would choose this over WT GNS530”

=============================

For the purpose of Clarity & Correctness —

There is a good reason why currently the default is still the Asobo /Pms50 GNS530, ---- with a Mod on their WB-SIM Discord to switch it over to the WT GNS530.

The latest version of the WB-Sim C172 Mod , (in final testing and will available for download in the very near future), IS updated to DEFAULT to the WT GNS530
[making this new update MS-Store compatible – good news for X-box users]

There will then also be an optional way to switch it back to the default Asobo GNS530, or the PMS50 GNS530, if that is installed, for those that want that option.

Why would one want to do that ??

Because the way the WT GNS530 currently works, it

1. Cannot itself hold any saved Flightplans (The RL & PMS50 version can)
  2. The way the current WT GNS530 is coded, it take over the non GPS - AP functions, and this stops the enhanced features of the WB-SIM KAP140 from working correctly.

So bottom like, the next, soon to be released Version of the WB-SIM C172 Enhancement Mod

• WILL default to the forwards looking WT GNS530, (with reduced KAP140 functionality)
  • but (at least PC owners) will have the option to switch back to the PMS50 GNS530 (with full WB-SIM KAP140 functionality)

For further information, or Technical Discussion/Support, please visit the Wb-sim C172 Discord Server

This confusion continues to be, uh, confusing.

I’ve uninstalled the Marketplace GNS Add-on.

Having done so, the following 1st & 2nd party aircraft (that I own) are using the Asobo GNS 430/530 units rather than the built-in WT GNS 430/530 units:

• An-2 GNS 530/430
  • V35B Bonanza
  • D18S Twin Beech
  • Model 407
  • DC-3 Retrofit Liveries
  • Hercules H4
  • PC-6/B2-H4 Turbo Porter
  • PC-6/B2-H4 Turbo Porter Skis
  • DHC-2 Beaver
  • DHC-2 Beaver Amphibious Float Plane

I thought the 1st and 2nd party aircraft were going to adhere to utilizing the WT version by default.

Am I confused on this matter?

Community Managers, care to comment?

EDIT:

Adding to this, a number of Marketplace-bought 3rd party aircraft (that I own) still require the WT GNS Marketplace Add-on:

• BN2 (all variants)
  • C337H Skymaster II (odd as this just got a 2.0 update)
  • Spitfire Mk IXc
  • Spitfire MK IXc (Clipped Wings)
  • C414 Chancellor (this was also just updated)
  • JRF Goose (this was updated well after AAU1)
  • JRF Goose with Skis (this was updated well after AAU1)
  • G-44A Widgeon (this was also just updated)

A number of Marketplace-bought 2nd & 3rd party aircraft do not:

• An-225
  • DC-6A
  • DC-6B
  • EMB 110P Bandeirante
  • EMB 110P1 Bandeirante
  • EMB 110P1 Bandeirante (Freighter)
  • DHC-4 Caribou

Based on this, it really seems like we still need it installed, at least for those of us with Marketplace versions of aircraft. It also seems like the 3rd party devs are confused here, too, given the recently updated aircraft still needing the add-on.

1 Like

It is really not that complex, once you follow this basic flow chart

Page 1 of 10

15 Likes

Yes. We’re far from converted over.
It’s why I still use the PMS50 530, even though it’s deprecated, as noted by @N6722C .
Several of the planes you mentioned as not converted over do not work properly with the “Marketplace” WT530. You can add to that the SWS RV10 and RV14.

And, yes, I agree, I’m frankly pretty shocked that so many first party planes do not use the “default” GNS.

Those “Skipped” values are not invalid, they don’t exist as a consequence of the channel spacing of 8.33 KHz. Good explanation here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/c172-g1000-pdf-com-frequencies-skip-by-0-010-every-fourth-increment-decrement/544263/3?u=flyingscool5650

And technically, those .xxx values are narrow band “channels” of their respective frequencies, not “frequencies”, though most people use the latter term to describe the whole value.

Spectrum usage

The VHF airband uses the frequencies between 108 and 137 MHz. The lowest 10 MHz of the band, from 108 to 117.95 MHz, is split into 200 narrow-band channels of 50 kHz. These are reserved for navigational aids such as VOR beacons, and precision approach systems such as ILS localizers.[2][3]

As of 2012, most countries divide the upper 19 MHz into 760 channels for amplitude modulation voice transmissions, on frequencies from 118 to 136.975 MHz, in steps of 25 kHz. In Europe, it is becoming common to further divide those channels into three (8.33 kHz channel spacing), potentially permitting 2,280 channels. Some channels between 123.100 and 135.950 are available in the US to other users such as government agencies, commercial company advisory, search and rescue, military aircraft, glider and ballooning air-to-ground, flight test and national aviation authority use. A typical transmission range of an aircraft flying at cruise altitude (35,000 ft (10,668 m)), is about 200 mi (322 km) in good weather conditions

3 Likes

I’m converted now, to 6.25 Khz spacing, and its working out “ULTRA” great. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

You are a funny guy, I am becoming one of your fans :rofl: