Do you have CPU consumption peaks...?

Hello, can anyone else try this…?
In a recent update (Update Windows) I noticed these CPU consumption peaks that I didn’t have before and now I do.
So I did the following.
1- W+R gepedit.msc
2- Equipment configuration
3- Administrative templates
4-Window components
5- Microsoft Defender Antivirus
6- Detection
7- Specify the maximum CPU usage percentage and now double click and enable and set from 50 (default) to 25 apply and accept and restart the PC

before

now

Just to be clear, you used Group Policy to limit Windows Defender’s CPU usage, right?

I’m not having any problems with FPS or latency, but I might try that anyway. Any way you can smooth out CPU usage peaks is a good thing.

2 Likes

correct mate that’s right.
Anything that can smooth out the CPU would be good for us.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ll post a before and after screenshot of my results tonight.

1 Like

Why do you want to limit CPU usage? This is like parking cores or using a Windows low power profile. The CPU peaks are caused because CPU is under load. That such load is not balanced is a different history. That depends on the CPU demand and can be much dependant on the running SW. In our case this is always depending on the changes made after each game update and how optimal the CPU usage is. In previous versions CPU usage was steady and with AAU2 it´s a rollercoaster.

Cheers

Hello mate. I’m not limiting the CPU. I’m limiting Windows Defender so it doesn’t use the CPU as much. I think the culprit for this rollercoaster is Windows Defender, which is why I was wondering if anyone could confirm this. Remember that my intention is always to be able to help and contribute positive things to the community, and if it is not good for everyone, I request that the messages be deleted so as not to create more confusion.

1 Like

Ah, yes yes, sorry. I missed the detail of Defender in your post.

Cheers

1 Like

I don’t think you should ever apologize for contributing in a positive manner. Sometimes we’re right, and sometimes we’re wrong. But we’re mostly adults here (I think…) and we can make choices as to who and what we pay attention to. The only posts that should be deleted are those that are destructive to the community. We have mods for that mission.

Of course everyone has the right to ask that their own posts be deleted. I personally can’t see how yours could possibly fit into that category.

2 Likes

Well, I tested my system and found occasional peaks, but nothing like the big waves you experienced, OP. I looked at my Group Policy settings, and couldn’t find the setting you described. Are you on Windows 10? Maybe Windows 11 is different.

I did try lowering the CPU Priority of MsMpEng.exe in Process Lasso (Windows Defender real-time scanner) to ‘Below Normal’ but access to that process is denied. The only option it seems would be to disable Defender, which I won’t do.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Happy flying!

I always wondered how you could get such high CPU usage? I got very low CPU usage on my 6800H (5%) while keeping GPU fully loaded. Is there a way to migrate some of the task to CPU with MSFS?

I have Windows 11 Pro. I think that is the reason why those options do come up for me.

Do you want to take work off the GPU and add more work to your CPU…? Please change the Physx process from automatic to normal and take the GPU to change to CPU in the Nvidia control panel. Try to see like this or we’ll look for something else.

I’m sorry did I miss how to check group mode for windows defender? Do you have a set by step? You know for friend. :thinking:

OP listed the steps in his original post. They didn’t match what I saw in my Win11 gpedit.msc console, which you can open by pressing WIN+R, then typing gpedit.msc

1 Like

I have Win11 Pro as well.

Here’s what I see. Maybe you can tell me what I’m doing wrong…

May be a stupid question - how do you gy about limiting windows defender CPU usage?

I think my translator is not very good and I have created a confusion

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Well, I’m completely baffled. Thanks for your screenshots, but mine doesn’t look anything like yours.

gpedit Defender policy2

1 Like

@ToniGsxr600
How are you logged in to Windows?

I log in using my Microsoft account. It has adminstrator rights, but I wonder if maybe I need to be logged in with the local Administrator account instead to see the GP options you are seeing.