Do you use a UPS?

Wondering if anyone here uses a UPS for their sim rig? Not so much in the sense of backup for power outage, or surge protection. But more in the sense of delivering consistent power to the PC?

I noticed something in my house but never fully paid attention to it. I live in a new build, everything is LED, and I would notice when appliances would kick in or out, the LED lights in the house would flicker. The larger the appliance, the more the flicker.

I’m no electrician but I would imagine this is more noticiable in LED’s then traditional bulbs?

That got me thinking, if the voltage within the wiring fluctuates depending on whats going on in the house, then the voltage to the sim rig would as well and in turn could potentially lead to sub optimal performance (amongst other things).

So I grabbed a couple UPS units today and will plug into those rather than the surge protector / wall outlet.

But was curious if others used them in the same manner (to ensure steady / clean power).

1 Like

Yep… I’ve used one for years. For a while, we were having intermittent outages and brownouts. The UPS solved the problem. I wouldn’t be without one.

1 Like

I’ve been using one for about 7 years, precisely for the reasons you mentioned, and it was worth the cost for me. I used to live in a house built in the 1920s, with knob and tube wiring, and there were always fluctuations in voltage, especially from appliances, some of which led to reboots and CTDs. No more issues after I got a UPS, and it would kick in and smooth out the power a couple times a week.

I live in a modern building now with no such issues, but I still use it for the backup power. We have some pretty intense wind storms on the BC coast and it has saved me from losing work in power outages multiple times. A worthwhile investment.

2 Likes

Since I’m on a laptop with an embedded battery, I assume the battery helps insure a constant DC voltage and current level if an AC voltage drop would affect the external power supply/rectifier/AC to DC adapter. Of course, the G2 VR device is powered separately if being used.

Unfortunately, if my modem/WIFI loses power it goes belly up so there will be no internet. A UPS could backup it where the laptop batter will not.

Note that the battery is useless as the only power source for MSFS as the current draw needed for MSFS, controller, external laptop fans, and high speed internal fan power. I doubt MSFS would run much longer than a few minutes without the power adapter.

1 Like

I use UPS as my preferred shipping company…oooh oops you mean power supply. No, but I’ve been thinking about buying a generac unit for my house.

1 Like

I recently installed a flux capacitor in my rig. Deliveres up to 1.21 gigawatts whenever I need them :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes I have an APC 1500VA Sine Wave UPS for my PC.

1 Like

I plugged it in upstairs to test, from the wall 121V it was reading on the LCD. Bring it downstairs to where the sim is and plug it in, 114V input.

Flew a couple of touch and goe’s, 64% load is about as high as it went.

yes for 10+ years

1 Like

Yup, always.
Jim-Sim

3 Likes

Nice set-up, I know you can’t pop-out glass panels at the moment, do you run other programs like Little Nav map etc on the extra panels.

My OCD (CDO) loves that clean dark setup!

PS the APU goes in the back :wink:

What desk and keyboard/mouse tray is that?

Is it also a standing desk?

Plenty of inexpensive, medium size UPS systems, for sale used on Ebay.

for example

Bargain @ $64 including shipping – you just need to add the batteries

Without battery (which is probably beyond its useful age), shipping is not too bad, and then all it needs is a locally purchased set of batteries.

Since installing UPSs on all our Computers, etc, I have never had any HD data corruption due to AC power fluctuation and brown-outs.

Highly recommend looking into UPS systems

1 Like

I grabbed a couple today, 1500VA / 900W. Work “write off” :slight_smile:

When the ones on our systems at the hospitals would go bad the maintenance guys would grab the batteries and use them in their boats for the fish finders lol

IF you have the room, and its not to UGLY, a couple of 12v car batteries will keep a 1500VA UPS running for HOURS !!

1 Like

I have the same model. I had my entire house rewired last year with new 200 amp service, and a whole-house surge protector in the main circuit breaker box. I still would never run my computer without the UPS.

As part of the re-wiring, I had a dedicated 20 amp circuit run just for the FS computer and accessories. Nothing else is on that circuit at all.

2 Likes

Yes, I also use two different UPS for my sim rig.
Voltage tends to be unstable on different occasions where I live.
I think it is the best option to try to preserve your computer components and connected devices.

1 Like

Here’s what I do:

Jim-Sim

1 Like

Yeah, but I like the flashy lights and numbers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Jim-Sim

1 Like