Does anyone use PSXT+ Real Traffic?

I had just heard about this and was curious to see if anyone uses it and could report their pros and cons and performance issues.

A major con for me is that real traffic is 10 dollars a month or 60 dollars a year.

Pie in the Sky Tours has just posted a video about this MSFS | AMAZING LIVE AIR TRAFFIC TOOL! - YouTube

It looks really interesting but there’s absolutely no way I’d spend that amount of money on it. $179 for a years licence of the full version.

Does anyone here use it?

1 Like

I just purchased it. Very simple to use, with AIG Manager and PSXT. Did the $10 one month test.
Just a bit confused as to the in-game MSFS traffic settings. Doesn’t seem to be a Developers manual or recommend in-game settings.

I’ll be keen to hear your views on it after some testing. I’m intrigued by it. It just seems so expensive though.

1 Like

I downloaded this during the weekend as I was quite intrigued by the concept.

It seems to work well, but I also noticed a couple of “cons”.

• when spawning at an airport the place was quite empty when compared to injecting traffic via IAG TC. I think the reason is that IAG is based on schedule while RealTraffic is based on data from Flightradar24 so that flights will only show up when about to depart. With IAG TC there were lots of aircraft parked at the gate, with RealTraffic the gates were mostly empty.
  • Coverage by FlightRadar24 may also be an issue at some airports. At ENGM I noticed that flights inbound suddenly disappeared just as they were about to touch down on the runway. I assume this is because of limited ground coverage, so this is probably not a general issue. At EGLL I did not see the same.

I didn’t test enough to comment on performance. If anything I would think that the fewer aircraft parked at the gates would be good for performance compared to IAG TC.

These are just my early impressions, so don’t take it as gospel.

1 Like

Thanks for your observations. I did wonder about the performance because I use the free enhanced live traffic add on from flightsim.to and it definitely does have quite a performance hit, for me anyway, and seems to have got worse with recent sim updates.

Proper working live traffic does seem like a difficult nut to crack. I wish Asobo would do it in house rather than rely on third parties to make it work.

Ok, here’s the high and low with these two addons…

Planes will vanish and not taxi if airport policy is to disable transponders on or near airport facility. Its a real life situation. PSXT lists the main hubs that will support transponders on the ground. Nothing we can do here, too bad.
Also, make sure your in-game traffic is OFF. And to see aircraft at gates, set your in-game ground traffic to 100%.
Not sure if I’ll keep RT after my one month $10 subscription. Apparently PSXT also works with AIG Traffic, for free!

I installed this last week. I bought $10 worth of data for 1 month to try it out. I think it works really good. If you always fly from smaller regional airports it will be of little use. The bigger the international airports the better. Lots of action at LAX ,EGGL, KORD… It is pretty cool to have Flightradar24 running and sit out on the tarmac and watch the planes land and take off. It is a lot like watching one of the plane spotting YouTube channels. There is some lag time between Flightradar24 and the sim but I only see about 15seconds max here in the US.
If you like playing around with the sim and seeing what is available $10 for a month is worth it. I think it is a bit of a novelty and I doubt I will pay for the data in the future.

1 Like

" Apparently PSXT also works with AIG Traffic, for free"

PSXT needs RealTraffic (RT) . AIG only provides the 3D models and Liveries.

I’m a AIG user since the beginning and I had to put the AIG Traffic Controller to a rest. The program takes ages to load and is, in its current state, very unstable. I dont blame AIG for this. Those guys do that they can, but the main problem is still the complete lack of AI Traffic development from Asobo’s side.

I use PSXT for a month now, and I’m really surprised how good its works. Even for me, as a 100% GA flyer, I see tons of GA traffic even on smaller Airports. Of course, it has it’s drawbacks. But compared to the poor default AI behavior ( even AIG can’t change this) it’s the better alternative for now.
Plus, the Developer is very responsive and try to help as much as he can. Not like Asobo, who didn’t even have the AI development on its priority’s list…not even close.

4 Likes

“With IAG TC there were lots of aircraft parked at the gate, with RealTraffic the gates were mostly empty”

PSXT “learns” with every flight you did to where and which Aircraft will park at which gate & parking spot. So the next time you land or spawn at this Airport, the Gates will be more populated with Aircrafts.
You can speed up this process by using the “learner” tool. It works quite well.
I have dozens of Airports packed full with parked AI planes.

Some shots from today’s Barcelona traffic:

2 Likes

Good to know thanks! So then you’re using RealTraffic with PSXT? Do you use the annual Pro subscription?
I often see aircraft taking off at ridiculously steep angles or parked on top of each other (probably Asobo issue). What do you set your in-game traffic at?

I’m on the one month license for now.
The steep take off was a bug and should be fixed in the recent version of PSXT.
Make sure that you have turned off ALL of the AI settings ingame:
-Aircraft traffic type off
-Multiplayer off
-Live real time traffic off
This should fix the double parking at gates.

The Developer has its own forum over at AVSIM. Check it out.

Greets

2 Likes

Great info here thanks!
I just updated PSXT. Its better, but seeing very little aircraft at gates at busy times in Denver. If I add some ground aircraft (15%) its better filled at gates. Planes are moving, arrivals and departures but their movements on the ground are still slightly jerky and they slide in turns.
By comparison, using AIG Traffic, the aircraft movements on taxiing are very smooth and you can sense the weight of these aircraft moving. But the arrivals and departures seem less frequent. With using AIGTraffic, the in-game atc sees me and interacts (set on AI). I’ve still got 3 weeks to decide on RealTraffic ($10 subscription). What have you guys experienced in comparison?

I am still new to PSXT but I did try out Denver . It is a huge airport . I think I counted 50 planes at the gates. If you watch Flightradar24 you can see the amount of traffic coming in or leaving in real time. Maybe the shear size of the airport makes it look empty…

1 Like

Got the 1 month RT sub. For me there’s too many cons. Sliding movement on taxiways, landing next to the runway, planes disappearing, jerky movements, no integration with ATC…

Since I’ve got major stability issues with AIG traffic controller, I’ve also put that on hold for now. Using Asobo live traffic and quite happy with that for now.

2 Likes

…And with using PSXT/RT, I don’t see anything at Municipal airports or small air fields. Only a select few major international airports that they clearly list. For me flying mostly VFR in Cessna’s or Baron, this doesn’t work. AIG setup seems to work better with that and in-game AI.

Well, it depends on what you have in your community folder, or linked in with the addon linker.
PSXT will pick up every converted AI model or 3rd party plane you have in this folder. The more you have, the more it can display. (I have every AIG model available by the way) Just have a look at my screenshots. They were taken at EDFM (Mannheim) a small regional Airport near Frankfurt and just around the corner, at EDFV (Worms) my lovely homebase, an even smaller private/hobby pilot airfield.

EDFM

EDFV

and via LittleNavMap

You see…plenty of GA traffic in real time. Maybe not with the exact liveries or tail numbers but the planes are there.

How much live traffic you get depends on time of day, weather and the location itself.
Just use the learner tool for a few hours during day time. It works really well.

As I write down this comment, I have FlightRadar 24 open on a cheap tablet and the sim running on my main monitor and I see Diamond 44’s and C172’s doing touch & go’s at EDFV like they did in real life.
This is awesome. I feel like in simmers heaven :smiley:

3 Likes

Ive only got a Cessna 182 Skylane and VGP Powerstol as addon aircraft. I do have ALL the AIG Manager addon liveries/routes. Apparently the learning tool is for the $19.99 subscription, unfortunately it’s not available on the standard $9.99 fee.
After testing both AIGTraffic vs PSXT/RT vs MSFS Real-Time Traffic, I find that the MSFS Real-time traffic with AIG Manager liveries/routes (set ingame ground aircraft traffic 80-100%), I’m seeing very smooth and solid movements with taxiing, departures and arrivals (to and from gates). Excellent spacing between movements too. And I’m included in the mix. They see me! I’m vectored onto final and they tell other aircraft I’m next to land following the other aircraft etc… And I can see them. That emersion is priceless for me.
(i9-12900K, 3080, 32G, G2)

2 Likes

Mate…Of course you have the learner tool even with the standard sub. Like I have. The subscription is only for the little RealTraffic programm. PSXT is freeware. Just look at the PSXT directory.

1 Like

With the the $19.99 subscription you can have PSXT “learn” your destination airport while you are flying.
But you can still use the learner app by itself with the basic subscription (you won’t be able to use both “leaner.exe” and PSXT at the same time).

2 Likes