Don't force users to update

True, but i think we shouldn’t ignore the plus sides of it either. The cloud dependence gives us lots of new features which are the main benefits of this sim over others. This is just progress in technology. They can’t keep designing software for slow internet connections forever, we have to go forward.

1 Like

Totally agree!

When I first voted for this suggestion, I admit I had not thought about that, so thank you and others for bringing it up.

I partly disagree, however, as I don’t believe this is necessarily an all-or-nothing situation.

You see, I can easily imagine having an update that doesn’t break network/cloud-related functions : that kind of update would definitely maintain compatibility, and could be made optional.

Edit: or at least, could be made “postponable” until the next major compatibility-breaking patch.

A big part of the issues are network related though, anything weather related runs through a server. All the scenery related things too. That’s basically the whole game. Only thing i can think of that’s not network related is AP functions and issues with individual aircraft. Supporting different versions of the sim is a lot of work too, and problem solving becomes even more difficult if different users are running different versions of the sim.

Agree. Unfortunately being in a rural community I can only download at most 3mbps. Although not MS fault a lot of the new files such as Japan & Gibraltar I do not fly to and it would be helpful to have an option to select the files we wish to update similar to items in the content manager. (eg. Update available for North America, South America etc)

These definitely should not be forced.

I most concerned that it can break critical addons. Let’s say you have an aircraft that is your daily driver - meaning you almost always fly it. The update may come out before the addon developer can update their aircraft. If the update is forced on you, it could break the addon and make the sim useless.

Now, we need to be honest here. This sim is still in the beta testing phase, and we are the beta testers. I could see a necessity to keep everyone on the same version until they/we are satisfied. Right now, it is more important for them to get the sim right before they worry about addons. I can live with the forced add ons now while they are fine tuning things and puttying together the SDK, but once the sim is stable, they do need to make the updates optional.

For me, once the sim is stable, I’ll probably to a complete reinstall. I may even reinstall Windows (dedicated sim rig). By then, there should be enough going on with MSFS that I’ll be able to uninstall P3D.

Then really don’t understand to their strategy and what they promised as min. OS version for installation.

Really I can’t imagine after maybe one year of tests to have hope stable version to which OS deformed update I need go to have all ok :slight_smile:

I agree. At least it should be possible to postpone the update for some time.

Apart from issues the new version might bring, the updating process makes the sim unusable for the time the updating takes. And depending on the size of the update, the bandwidth and possible issues the MS-store this can be a significant time.
It would be nice if we would be able to decide when we want to do that and keep using the current version of the sim until then.

Enable VSync in the game graphics settings. This way the game will not try to go to 240 FPS in the menu’s, leading to much less graphics load.

VSync causes other problems unfortunately.

Doesn’t cause any issues for me, but I guess your mileage may vary?
Menu’s are nicely at 60FPS, and since the sim doesn’t run on 60FPS on 1440p ultra on my system anyways, it does nothing when flying. So it’s a win-win for me.

Well I asked for exactly that on zendesk so it should be in the next patch, shouldn’t it? Or doesn’t it work like that? :grin:

Well, it used to be that setting it to 30fps would actually sync to around 20fps. Setting to 60fps is pointless because I can’t get that kind of FPS with a 5700xt at the resolution I want to use unless I scale settings way down. Perhaps they fixed it but I haven’t tried in weeks because I didn’t see the point.

Still wish updates were at will. I had a simulator that worked for two weeks, then the updates came and for the most part, flying the 320 has gone from busted, but workable to all over the map–literally. I just tried to do a basic IFR flight from LAX to SAN and AP jsut started turning off my flight plan, then ATC was directing me to a waypoint not in my plan during cruise, then then ATC was telling me to climb to 130 after telling me to direct to an approach fix with a 5000 restriction, and then the AP would not follow the glide path for the RNAV approach to 27. I would gladly take the launch version of the game right now vs what I have. All this stuff worked for me before the updates I had to take.

With regards to the need for server-side / client-side version matching, it might be nice if they offered three options: beta, latest, previous. That way users would at least have 2-4 weeks to update when a new release is pushed out.

Background updates
Hi everyone.
I am one of the “suffered” users who have practically not used the FS2020 at all due to the constant reboots of updates and other problems. Today I finally solved that on my own and I want to ask the community to support me with their vote in this desire for changes in the way of updating.

And it seems to me completely illogical that every time you want to sit down and enjoy the flight for a while after a day of work or in a free moment, we have to wait for downloads -more and more frequent- that until they are finished they prevent us from accessing to the program start menu.

Therefore, my suggestion is that patches and updates - small or large - take place in the background just like updates to Windows or other systems.
Also that we are allowed to choose - in those that are not critical - whether or not we want to install them since we do not all have the same drawbacks.
Then we enter the program, we use it and when the time comes, the notice should appear asking if we want to update at that time or later (if the program works for us and we want to use it, we could do it immediately without making problems for it)
I hope my idea seems correct and serves the benefit of all, please support me with your vote to make it come true.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the idea. It is just not as simple as it sounds. Most software do not do this for a reason.

Personally I’d prefer more features and fixes than saving that extra 5 seconds while it checks for updates on startup and the few minutes every couple of weeks it takes to do the update.

You seem to assume that doing a more complicated update system will help with your patch install issues. It most certainly will not. I spent a bit of time troubleshooting my system on the one occasion I had trouble and have no issues since. Fortunately the steps in the knowledge based worked well. I often wonder how many people actually use the knowledge base. Almost no one ever says they tried the fixes there when the complain.

Going by the KB it is obvious (and unfortunate) that MSFS require lots of Windows subsystems to work 100% or you will have issues. As a non-XBox user that was a problem for me, I didn’t even have some of those things installed and I had disabled XBox services because I don’t use them. It isn’t that intuitive to me that I needed the Windows Store, XBox, MSFS downloader in the store, etc, all working properly for it to be trouble free. But now that I followed the KB articles and update those components when they need updating I’ve had no issues at all.

1 Like

Spending only a few minutes every 2 weeks updating is not how it works everywhere.
It doesn’t matter if you have fiber, cable, dsl, or cell. Once the distance learning starts, all these networks , in some areas, combine to get to the regional “On Ramp”. When that pipe to the On Ramp gets clogged, everyone is slow.
So how do you update?
When a patch is released, you do not run the sim.
You pick a work night. Not a night when there is a late football game. You wait till 1 or 2 AM and start the sim. If you’re done by 5 AM, Life is good.

2 Weeks later, Repeat above.

The ones who could update in a few minutes, consider yourself lucky.

Despite the other responses, I agree with you. Other games update in the background, so it can be done.

And I have the exact same experience–I get a free moment to enjoy the sim. I sit down, launch it, then find out there’s a 9GB update waiting to download. By the time it finishes, my moment has passed.

As a result, I spend little time with Flight Simulator. Certainly this can be handled better.

3 Likes

I agree, for the same reason: For some users opportunities to fly are brief and far in between, and getting hit with a mandatory update that ruins that moment is not a good thing.

Solutions could be automatic updates in the background, or scheduled/delayed updates.

4 Likes

Hello Yuudai: I must clarify two things that perhaps in the translation do not come out as I want to express myself, my native language is not English and I depend partly on Google for this:
When you say that you prefer to wait a few seconds before playing and then updates of a couple of minutes, I am imagining that you do not have the slowness problems that those of us who live in South America have, there are apparently no servers nearby and here from the exit of the game to the Last patch did not exceed 140/150 Kb / s (approximately 1.2Mb) in download. Even the last one they released, the 1.9.5.0 I have been downloading since yesterday and I still have 8.5GB to go. The speed in this case did not exceed 800Kb and at times it stops or drops to less than 80Kb. This is not a problem of mine - I clarify it - I have 10Mb of fiber optics that work perfectly and reach the maximum (and sometimes exceed that value) and downloading anything from other sites perfectly use all the bandwidth. I mean, it’s not a problem with my connection. Perhaps those who live in the US or Europe have better access to connections, but we all pay for the program equally and the money is the same (and sometimes more expensive due to the exchange rate, as in my case) and the service should be Same for everyone.
On the other hand, it has not been my team’s problem. I have been working in computer science since 1980 and after trying everything suggested by zendesk and different forums without success I decided to reinstall everything on my computer again (even knowing that it worked well and giving the benefit of the doubt)

I am not saying that the solution is easy, but if no one raises it as much I as anyone else who suffers from the same (something that did not happen in the first download although it was also slow) it will still be practically “a second-class citizen” in the use of FS2020.
Maybe someone should have wondered if multi-gig downloads were the same for all. Windows does it and lets me work without causing annoyances … and I think you will agree that after the exit if I have only been able to use it so few times without it being a problem of mine, and I emphasize it, it IS NOT a problem of mine or of me connection, then something is wrong and they must take it into account to solve. At this point as I type the download has stopped and I tried again to download a file from my Mega.co.nz account. I can confirm again that the speed of Mega is correct and the one that does not work at the same time is that of FS. This will stop me again today, which is another day that I still do not use the program that I paid for a long time ago. I don’t think I’m asking for something crazy, I just ask that it work as it should, if it were freeware I would be silent.
My regards with all respect