Dreadful performance

Overall, the last update reduced my performance. Before and with 20hz refresh rate cockpit I could achieve 35-40 fps in cruise with the A320, now with low refresh rate cockpit I can’t even reach 30. Frame times on mainthread and CoherentGTDraw are extremely higher.

2600k @ stock (HT off) + 980Ti

Cockpit view:

Outside view:

Something ain’t right with the performance tweaks on the latest update.

Edit:
I turned off all the parameters in the traffic section, and these are the results:

1 Like

Same rig as you, except I have the 3600X. Still a slide show with EFIS planes after update to 1.8.3

1 Like

Do you own an Core I7 CPU ?

I have a much older machine. 6 year old fx8300 CPU @4Ghz. And rx5700xt. Both over more detailed city/large airport areas are about 60% ulitilised with 22fps on high, 35-40 over other rural areas on ultra.

Assume this means there is a cpu activity limiting fps by one core!? I haven’t found it yet. Graphics and data settings don’t seem to help much.

It might help a lot when people just accept playing MSFS with lower settings instead of demanding all bells and whistles on medium powered hardware.
Altough my hardware is fairly powerful, Ryzen 5 3600 paired with 32gb 3200 ram and a AMD RX5600XT, i found out that dropping the sliders to medium, the sim is giving me a very satisfying +75 fps when using the Cessna 152.
I never fly “heavy metal” anyway so this isn’t a dealbreaker for me…
It still looks beautiful and plays very stable without any problems at all.
So for now I choose to drop the settings a bit and wait for what’s coming in the future, because i”m sure that it will be faster and smoother when the devs launch an update with DirectX 12 support…

1 Like

Thanks for your settings. Do you have any other settings on W10? Game Mode On or Off? Etc…

You could go to Windows 10 ‘Graphics Settings’ and ‘Choose an app to set preference for’ add MSFS 2020 so that you could set your own individual graphical settings for the Simulator. I have been experimenting with ‘Let Windows Choose’ and ‘High Performance’. I have settled for high performance.
Charles

1 Like

Have you turned off indexing on your flight simulator drive, having it on can kill performance! I forgot about that one. Charles.

Here’s how to do it…

2 Likes

IS THIS ALLOWED!

I have been fiddling with the settings on my computer. I am hitting a whopping 65 FPS flying over Chicago on a clear day. Clouds don’t make a lot of difference. My i7-2600K and MSI 1070 are working wonders. Check my simulator settings!

What did I do, I am not really sure however I removed an old registry entry which was redundant relating to the post-patch folder that contained the .exe file etc. I went to ‘Change Resolution’ on the Nvidia Control Panel and selected ‘Choose Nvidia colour settings’ I changed ‘Output Dynamic Range’ to FULL from LIMITED. I set ‘Texture Filtering’ to ‘Quality’ within the NV CTL Panel. ‘Low Latency Mode’ back to ULTRA. My Ge-Force experience has been knocked out of action through these changes however, I can no longer use Nvidia Freestyle or take a video, the Nvidia frame rate counter still works which is displayed on the right top of the screen. It’s fine with a small Cessna, the settings have to be turned down for the A320 however, I have pushed my air traffic slider to 75%. No more fiddling with this …

Charles

See pictures below …

Agree with you, but it is too late already. Asobo has greatly downgraded the visuals to actually get lower performance(at least in my case).

I cant understand why people with low end and/or old systems complain about them not being able to run msfs in maxed settings at 4k 120fps :unamused: . Guys, this is a flight sim, it will last 10 years or more, you cant expect running it day 1 maxed with potato hardware. You are just making devs downgrade things and breaking the sim. I think the sim lookED great in the alpha, and ran great for the amazing visuals and my current hardware. Just TURN DOWN THE ■■■■ SETTINGS, enjoy according to your hardware capabilities and update to better specs in the future. Otherwise, all we are going to get is ripped graphics. Jm2c.

1 Like

I’ve been playing the PC hardware rat-race game since 1991, and flying sims since Sublogic Flight Simulator II in the early 80’s on 8-bit hardware. No need to lecture anyone about “potato” computers, please.

2 Likes

Just landed at LFPG, holy smokes that place is horribly optimised.

1 Like

Performance seems to have gotten a lot worse with the latest patch. In general I was averaging 45-50 fps before the patch. Now the longer I flew, the worse my frame rate got. I killed it once it dropped to 10 fps. It looks like my “CoherentGTDraw” time kept going higher and higher the longer I flew.

I was flying over water water from Spain (LEBL) to Palma (LEPA), so it’s not like there was a lot to render. Changing my graphics settings from high-end all the way down to low didn’t help things.

I have an i7-8700, 32GB memory, and an nVidia 1080.

1 Like

[hendis55] My system is almost the same as yours.
I get 45fps over New York city.
CPU main thread is bottleneck mostly.
Biggest help for me was to reduce Terrain Level of Detail to 70%

i7-4790K
RTX 2070S
16GB RAM
4K monitor @ 70% render scale (~ 1440p)

Patch 1.8.3.0 did nothing for general FPS, slower if anything. May possibly have helped the intermittent drop when entering a new region.

1 Like

I have the same problem, after patch 2 all was fine for me. Then i had for about 3 days CTD when i startet a free flight in europe area… and now limited by coherentgtdraw and i dont know what to do… reducing the glass cockpit refreshrate doesnt change anything.

I7 8700
32GB 2666mhz memory
Rtx 2070super

Look at known issues. Flying in areas of Europe leading to a CTD has been noted as a known issue.

Not seen any downgrading post patch 2 for me. Ultra settings plus 200 lod

I know, i had only for about 3 days problem with CTD but after this it startet with the limited by coherengtdraw… before i had with patch 2 high/ultra settings 45-55fps, so all was fine…

My ‘potato’ computer is performing much better than many newer machines, there is a reason why an old quad core processor can keep up. The answer is more than ‘potato skin deep’. Perhaps my potato is a ‘King Edward’ :joy: Charles

1 Like