Dreadful performance

It uses a LOT more than that, granted most are idle just waiting for events.

Attaching a debugger you can see exactly, in my case 127 threads (KJFK 31L runway)

1 Like

As already mentioned…
We can struggle as much as we want with benchmarks, cores, CPU’s, GPU’s…
The problem lies solely and exclusively within the faulty graphics engine of MSFS.
I was hoping that this should be clear by now, due to the overwhelming fact that other simulators,
like DCS, and at least a half a dozen of other games, all maxed out and running at 4K run in a perfectly fluid manner (60 FPS solid and constant) in my rig…

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370
CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz
Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB
Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004
CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

you have a unlimited world map with detailed city data , eg. for New-York / Berlin /… in DCS ?..

Please tell me where you found it / where I can buy, so that I can use this too :slight_smile:

No, you don’t have a unlimited world map with detailed city data in DCS,
but it is a REAL flight simulator, with FLUID movement, unlike MSFS…
Here, you can try 2 planes and one map for free:

Wow, I would like to have a CPU with 127 threads running. That’s impressive.

What is it and where can I buy one?

(Assuming that I will be able to afford it.)

The title says Worker Thread so I also assume that this is the 'Main Thread" which is a physical thread which is scheduling the processing of all that need to be done for the program. Software events and not physical.

Right?

The Name column shows 'flight simulator.exe thread".
I wonder if the column was expanded, if it would list the actual physical thread number?

:joy: … I have , so far I remember me, more than 600 hours in DCS… and I know about performance in DCS and would simple relativize your sentence a little bit :wink:

You already have one, and it can run 10000 easily!

Look in task manager. Shows the total amount of threads running on your PC.

Just remember, a thread does not have to use everything single bit of CPU it can, 99% of them dont. They just wait for something to happen, and this literally uses no CPU.

There is no such thing as a physical thread. It is a logical core. And the OS deals with scheduling them how it sees fit. If you program starts a thread, unless you specify affinity, it will run wherever the OS choses. I am not even sure you can determine what logical core it is running on in that case.

I still consider that as software processes.

Right column shows 8 Cores and 16 Logical Processors. Threads ? i9-9900 maybe?

The confusion came in when Intel called it HyperThreading ™.

You can think about a thread as an owned software process. They can be killed just like normal processes.

It is an i7-7820X (about 4 years old now). Got it just before the 9900K came out, which would have been a lot cheaper and faster if I only waited 6 months :crying_cat_face: (but check out the size of the L2 cache! I think that is what drives the cost up)

No physical thread.
No physical core.

No physical CPU?

Those exist. And I guess you can use hardware thread instead of logical core. I wouldn’t.

IN the end of the day, your OS sees it as 16 CPU’s (in my case).

I have also more than that amount of hours in DCS, and have experienced awful things there…
but never the stuttering that MSFS brings today.
So, as for today, there is nothing to relativize… DCS runs maxed out at 4k in a perfectly fluid manner,
(Solid 60 FPS syncing perfectly to the 60 HZ of my monitor) no stutters whatsoever, thus giving a VERY pleasant flight experience. Granted, with a lesser quality and far less scope of the landscape, but with far superior quality and complexity of the airplanes and their aerodynamics. That is what a flight simulator worth of its name should be in my humble opinion. Not the stuttering mess full of eye candy, flamingos and giraffes that is MSFS in its current state.

3 Likes

I have time in both DCS and FS2020.

They are both great in different ways and can’t really be directly compared because they have a different scope and give a different experience. Just like you can’t really compare the VR experience of either of them with the better VR performance of IL2 Sturmovik or even Aerofly FS2 which runs great but has limited scenery (imo).

A more relevant discussion would be to compare the performance of FS2020 with X-Plane 11 or P3d. But let’s not go down that path again please since that’s been done time and again crisp and golden!

Just my take on this for what it’s worth :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I disagree. Both are flight simulators, (at least MSFS wishes to be).
What I am comparing here is the graphics engine.
DCS is fluid, MSFS is not.

3 Likes

Then we’ll agree to disagree.

I concur with your analysis. I thought the same the other day: DOOM (DOS version) is fluid on my Win10 machine, Quake RTX is not. :joy:

3 Likes

The “main thread” is like a distribution center keeping track of all the tasks being performed. Hopefully, the main thread is “lightweight”, not performing complex calculations. Windows manages CPU assignment, priorities, memory allocation, and resources needed by the “threads” dispatched by the main thread.

There is always a bottleneck by something during every program execution. Optimization and tuning reduces as much as possible the impact of a bottleneck. Who would care if the main thread was a bottleneck if we have 100+ FPS? Also, optimizing a program to eliminate the main thread bottleneck means that whatever was in second place becomes the limiting factor. Upgrading the CPU may make the GPU the limiting factor. Because of all the different monitors, GPUs, CPUs, memory sizes, disk configurations, and peripherals there is not one optimal set of performance and graphics settings for everyone.

3 Likes

Well thanks for your comment… I have the luck that a good half a dozen games (Assasins Creed Oddissey and Valhalla, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mafia 1 new, Jedi fallen Order, etc. all run flawlessly fluid maxed out at 4K. And much more importantly, so does DCS. But MSFS simply does not, no matter hwat I do.

3 Likes

a horse simulator :joy:

1 Like

Yes, I concur.

DOOM (DOS) version is a lot more fluid on my rig too than MSFS 2020. I can’t understand it. I can only presume that there is a lot more optimisation to be done by Asobo before we reach similar performance levels.

:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes