Dune Expansion and Atreides Royal Ornithopter

I was really excited to try this in VR with my HOTAS. Bindings seemed to initially work, but now no wing fold inputs work. And when I retract gear, it seems to just be the ramp in back vs. the feet of the ornithoper (not sure if that’s intended). Additionally, the controls menu UI seems particularly unresponsive now requiring me to exit out and re-enter it to select different devices to modify. And on my latest run through despite having bindings set for my joystick axis, pitch was unresponsive.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I’ve had to do my bindings for some of the ornithopter-specific bits in the sim settings. But are their simvar events and such I can latch onto in Spad.next to manage this as a separate profile?

I dunno why there’s always a fuss about this…?
My question is, since this kind of content looks like an MSFS trend - what about Fallout? I would love to fly a vertibird over the Capitol Wastelands or New Vegas in one of those…and the photogrammetry is already halfway there…

5 Likes

Nah, this thing totally screwed up my Control Options. Every custom profile I created is now only showing the default settings!
Ahhrrrg This will take a long time to fix.

4 Likes

Hell, what about…

Jörg, please? :smiley:

8 Likes

The original Crimson Skies is one of my all-time favourite games. I would love so much for that franchise to make a comeback. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well I am intrigued by this expansion. I am a Dune fan (Frank Herbert author) from the late 60’s! Just one question: Where is the scenery for Arrakis. Can I fly there without doing the challenges or the tutorials?

6 Likes

Cannot agree more - it played a large role in my childhood. While graphics are improvable from nowadays point of view the storytelling was just absolutely great and animated cutscenes were not at all needed (what imho made part two rather cringe)! Also it was fun to customize your own aircraft from the paintjob to the armor…

…dayum, I’m going OT.

2 Likes

Tie ins like this I’m sure generate revenue for the sim either directly or indirectly.

This keeps the sim, that has significant ongoing back end infrastructure costs, from being a subscription pricing model that I’m sure if implemented everyone would loose their mind over.

It will most likely be gone by the next update.

6 Likes

Yeah same here all my TCA throttle configs are screwed

2 Likes

Definitely interested in this.

Definitely not interested in having my controls scrambled.

Is everyone who’d downloaded so far having this problem or is more selective?

2 Likes

This attracts new pilots, who in turn may spend more money on the sim, which gives more money towards development and resources.

And that’s on top of the money the movie studio gives them to promote the movie.

This is good for the sim.

1 Like

Hello @PinkPanteees,

When you install the Dune DLC and fly the Royal Atreides Ornithopter, the control options automatically set themselves to a new profile specific to this aircraft (see screenshot below; it may look slightly different for you if you use a different stick/yoke). In my case, the new profile is called “JOYSTICK - HOTAS WARTHOG (ORNITHOPTER)”.

You can revert back to your normal controls by selecting your regular control profile, as shown in this screenshot (“JOYSTICK - HOTAS WARTHOG PROFILE”)

At least in my case, swapping back and forth between these profiles works normally as one would expect, and all the custom keybinds saved to my original custom control profile remain intact. I will be monitoring this thread closely to see if the reported issue of control profiles being reset is common or not.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

10 Likes

Will it migrate to 2024?

I went into the controls options page and was presented with a ‘Loading’ message which isn’t going away.

IIRC controls options are stored in the cloud. They’ve always come back e.g. when I changed computers and reinstalled MSFS. Hopefully they’re still somewhere up there and will be returned to me when this is sorted out.

Edit: I turned it off and turned it on again - i.e. shut down the sim and restarted - and I seem to have my controls back. Now to see if I can make presets for the ornithopter and fly this wonderful new addition to our sim.

2 Likes

My keyboard control profile keeps resetting to “Short keyboard” instead of my normal profile. Even after setting it back to my normal profile and accept and save, it will reset back to “Short keyboard” in between sessions!

I had to Alt+F4 out of the game because I could no longer reset my camera or toggle VR.

More impressively it feels like already build for MSFS2024 - that Habub weather effect for example could have certainly been from the new iteration

1 Like

OMG i love this thing, it’s like having a Helicopter, Jet and Glider in one thing. lol

Had to set up the controll though, search for ornithopter, it has it’s own buttons for folding, glide, afterburner and a few others.

3 Likes

The basic take-off tutorial is impossible to do, after I take off with it it flies on its own backwards and I can’t do anything about it. It either leaves the area or it crashes on the rocks. The guy is taking too much to talk between actions so doing the next action after takeoff is impossible

2 Likes

I use AAO and have created a control profile. I think it’s stupid that I get the proprietary control profile loaded automatically every time I start a flight. This is a fundamentally new philosophy from Microsoft and I don’t like it. Empty profiles are not accepted. They always have to be activated again.
2024-02-13_20h06_58

1 Like

I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.
My controls options menu is stuck on loading, no profiles are actually loaded after all.
I can’t even create new ones, as it is stuck on loading.
All of this because of some completely unrelated nonsense Dune content.

5 Likes