Dune Expansion Splash Screens

Anyone know how to get rid of the Dune Expansion Splash screens ?
I don’t want to know about this.

14 Likes

Splash screens are universal and cannot be changed (unless you go into your sim files, which some users do at their own risk). They are updated periodically when there are new updates out.

2 Likes

Stripr by //42 is a great app that changes your splash screens

4 Likes

Can we please have the normal loading screens back! This is a terrible to see this uggly dessert screen.

Make MSFS great again and stick to be a great flightsim

15 Likes

+1 I hope the normal screen will be back again

4 Likes

I think we have to accept that marketing promotions like these are how we’ve been able to enjoy 15 incredible world and sim updates after spending our money once. I’d much rather that MS/Asobo funded these activities through harmless tie-ins rather than transitioning to a live service model and milking us for all eternity (■■■■, don’t want to be giving them any ideas!)

3 Likes

+1. These marketing tie-ins are not just done for the LOL’s. They generate revenue either directly or indirectly. That helps keep the significant back end of MSFS running without being a subscription service.

If MS/Asobo announced a subscription service people would be loosing their minds orders of magnitude worse than what they are now about the Dune loading screen.

1 Like

This topic is not solved because the new splash screens are not in the folders referenced in reply #2. Guess we are stuck with them.

Indeed my post is not solved…I agree we are probably stuck with such advertising being pushed at us…annoying as it is. It is IMHO quite legitimate to protest as it is just as legitimate for MS to disregard protest if they so choose.

4 Likes

I’m with you. It truly is disheartening to see not only see them pushing their propaganda on us, but also it being this type of content. This is starting to feel more like a “game” catering to the “gamers” (nothing wrong with gamers) and less of a sim to us long time simmers.

4 Likes

same, really hoping thus goes soon!, just using FS for the first time and was wondering what this crap had to do with FS.

3 Likes

What biased political statement do you think MS/Asobo is trying to make with the Dune tie in?

What part of actual game play has changed for you since the loading screens where changed?

5 Likes

@ANCRM114

1. When I mentioned ‘propaganda’, I was referring to the heavy promotion of a sci-fi theme in a flight simulator, not a political statement. The Dune tie-in, while might be of interest to some, feels out of place in a flight simulator to others.

2. The gameplay hasn’t changed, but the atmosphere has. A simulator’s charm lies in its authenticity, and the splash screen plays a part in setting that tone.

5 Likes

@warbAUxx

Only a matter of short time I reckon. :slight_smile:

I’m considering picking up the //42 Stripr App mentioned above to not have to not be forced to watch whatever they feed us that go around.

1 Like

The Dune splash screens are super awful. I have no interest in Dune and flying insects. Please remove.

5 Likes

As someone pointed out in another thread, MSFS is advertised as the “Game of the Year” edition, not sim of the Year. I also added that the software is what it is. Many of the people complaining about it being turned more into a game are the same people using a bunch of third party services, software, and hardware to turn it more into a sim than it really is. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I wouldn’t worry, though. This harmless splash screen will soon be replaced in some other update after the movie hype has died down. And I’m sure we’ll have another harmless splash screen and optional content for people to complain about some time after that as well.

1 Like

How about a two-tier system so people can choose:

1. Keep everything as it is now
  2. If people choose NOT to have ‘advert’ splash screens they don’t get access to FREE DLCs like 40th Anniversary Edition and World Updates.
1 Like

No issue with the splash screens here. I have a question too, why are you sat watching a loading screen? Go make a drink, do some dusting, start prepping for a flight on sim brief etc.

It’s a very small price to pay for tons of free world updates, aircraft and sim updates. Sims/games are not made for free, they cost money and lots of it. MSFS is a niche hobby, always has been. FSX died not through lost popularity but because it likely wasn’t bringing in enough revenue to justify keeping it alive (at the time anyway). Technologies change, MS found a way to make it viable again.

5 Likes

Agreed - it’s an uncomfortable truth, but we hardcore simmers do not make up the majority of the users of MS2020 - a fact demonstrated by the fact that last week’s community fly-in featuring the Ornithopter was by far the most well attended of the events I have joined. I’m OK with this though - as long as the “gamification” of the sim doesn’t detract from the central experience (and in my opinion it definitely does not) then having to sit through a few splash screens that have no interested to me is not even a price to pay, it’s merely some coloured pixels on a screen.

3 Likes

Precisely! If Dune completely took over the sim, and I’m on approach into LAX and a giant sandworm swallowed my plane, or the world map is replaced with that of Arrakis. I’d be at the front of the queue with my pitch fork in hand, because it’s now ruined “my” flight sim.

The reality is, I can politely ignore all Dune, Langoliers, Passenger 57 (actually those latter two would be cool) or any other content I’m not interested in, and do what I’d normally do. I respect those that do like it though, enjoy!

4 Likes