Dusseldorf landing challenge NOW impossible

Dusseldorf landing challenge NOW impossible to do as the wind shear effects make it impossible to land and get any score worth trying to improve upon.

I have looked at videos when that challenge first made it appearance in the updates and you can clearly see something drastic has changed.

See example: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Dusseldorf landing challenge - YouTube (Original wind shear effects)

Then try it now and you will see how it has changed.

Please can you fix this!

I know they’ve updated the weather system, but since SU6, the Düsseldorf Landing Challenge is like flying through a hurricane, and the speed meter is bouncing around erratically. Is this normal / realistic?

Intel Core i7-9700k, 32GB 3200 RAM, GTX1080Ti

• Microsoft Store
  • No Addons
  • Not using Developer Mode
1 Like

I am experiencing the same thing as well. I was re-doing all of the landing challenges and went through each of the Airbus/747 ones with relative ease, except this one. It is like flying through a hurricane - the speed meter fluctuates between 140 and 220 each second despite keeping the plane level. Even if I have no throttle and I land on the runway, the plane is still subject to fly up another 300 feet well past the full length of the runway. I am baffled.

3 Likes

Thanks @Lockgarbin . I would report this as a bug but Landing Challenges and Bush Trip issues never get looked at unfortunately.

3 Likes

I cannot figure out how to do this. I looked at videos, and speed is steady. Now, my speed will fluctuate between 120 to 180 within a single second! It seems to be basically impossible to do this landing challenge right now.

3 Likes

Ok. I was able to get the “A” rating for this, but i had to really be stupid to get it.

Here’s how I did it, in case anyone wants to try get it while the bug is active.

Go to 200 feet at around 325 knots, with full flaps. You will be in overspeed but it doesn’t matter.

As soon as you get just before the town behind the runway, deploy full spoilers. Again, stupid, but it doesn’t matter.

This will slow you down to around 200 knots just before the runway. After you clear the trees, put the nose down until you’re about 20 feet off the runway. Then level out.

Maintaining straight and level (do not flare), increase or decrease power as needed to level with mains and front wheel at the same time, on the target.

Really ridiculous but I believe it’s simply not possible to do this approach as a standard 3 degree approach ,140 KT. This is because your speed will fluctuate between 120 to 180 knots every second.

By coming in low and fast, and landing at around 200 KT, you can negate the effects of the wind because it appears the bug is less prevalent at higher speeds.

3 Likes

Thanks but I’m not skilled enough to land at those speeds, not with a controller anyway!

I’m wondering if this is a bug or not. Apparently in stormy conditions, gusts blowing into the pitot tubes might give erroneous speed readings.

2 Likes

Looks like this has been fixed in SU7. I noticed that a lot of Landing Challenges and Bush Trips were updated in this release.

Good to see.

Definitely not fixed. Just tried it again several times and it’s a total nightmare. The plane is like a bucking bronco, just totally wrong. There’s also this glitch right before the runway that always pushes the plane downward with a lot of force. I posted about this before and got no replies. When I looked at YouTube videos they were all calm and steady. No bothering with this one anymore.

1 Like

I think the only way to do it is get extremely lucky on the gusts and set it down mid gust or mid lull. To do that and land on a point is completely random/luck. I have well over a million on every other challenge, this one I’ve tried 20 times to top out at 600K.

I will try the 200kts thing, it just feels wrong.

Edit:
The 200kts thing feels WAY wrong… but

1 Like

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox. #pc

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? STEAM

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? NO

Brief description of the issue:
In the Dusseldorf Strong wind Landing Challenge the 747 flight model seems incorrect. The plane moves erraticly on yaw and roll axis as if the plane was very light.
On the Innsbuck Strong wind Landing Challenge the 747 the flight model seems realistic. No erratic moves and the plane seems heavy in the controls.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Start Dusseldorf challenge and move yoke on roll axis left/right to experience erratic moves.
Start Innsbuck challenge and move yoke on roll axis left/right to experience normal behaviour of a heavy plane with stable controls.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Version just before the GOTY.

Gave it another shot today. Finally breached a million :+1:. I reduced the screenshots to 1080 from 4K:

This landing challenge is a complete mess right now.

1 Like

Hi all,

Is it possible that the levels of difficulty are set differently on different peoples’ FS2020 sims? Or is there a bug on this challenge? I ask this because for 2 weeks I’ve being trying to get an “A” (over 1 million points) on this challenge w/o any luck. The best yet, is 894,216 points. I’ve tried everything with no luck, so, I went on Youtube to watch other peoples’ landings, and to my surprise, I noticed that with a couple of people who earned over 1 million points, they did not have hardly any fluctuation on their speedtape in regards to wind. They may have had a fluctuation of 3-12kts, other than that, almost stationary. In my case, I’m battling 15-48kts almost the entire time with the plane buffeting like crazy. And it doesn’t matter how big or small my imputs. (I have an alpha yoke, a bravo throttle quad, a pretty good set of peddles, and a very fast computer.) Every single other challenge, I’ve accomplished w/o any problem or seeing this crazyness! I even went into settings and changed everything from hard to full assist, and no change! I’m out of ideas. Has anyone else noticed this? I must add also that on that Youtube video, some of the comments below where from FS2020 users that claimed the same problem that I’m having. Thanks.

Mario

Hi,

My same exact problem on this challenge. The only difference from you is that I’m running the MS Store Version and that I’m running the most current version up to 12/23/21.
Thanks.

Yes. This thing is impossible – the plane goes all over the place on the base leg and the airspeed jumps randomly up and down. Impossible tell what the true airspeed is. I seem to remember it wasn’t that hard before the last update. Now it’s barely possible to land.

1 Like

After losing all progress and having completed all landing challenges earlier I started to do them again and Lao! 747 being thrown around like a cub inside Katrina? No, that’s not even close to realistic in 25kt gentle breezes.

Hi,
It seems that after SU7, this was not corrected. This challenge is still totally impossible. I was hoping that with SU7, that it would be corrected, but no. Pity.

Mario

I confirm what you describe. This is the last landing challenge I have to do to get 100%. It’s the only one for which I have such behavior.

This was updated again as part of World Update 7, but it’s exactly the same!

2 Likes