Dusseldorf landing challenge NOW impossible

this is a nightmare :frowning: still the same, and still the only A missing in my list

this worked for me. 1.200.000 points, world top200.

but it felt wrong, man, so wrong :smiley:

Thanks so much for this tip, I finally achieved 1.17M and got my remaining A in the landing challenges.

Here is how I did it with an Xbox controller in case it may help anyone else:

Before going into the challenge:

• Create a shortcut to arm autothrottle, to save time when in the challenge
  • Create another shortcut to disarm autothrottle AND open the spoilers AND set autobrake to high

As soon as the game starts, make some configurations to the airplane:

• Arm autothrottle at the pre-loaded speed of 200kts; this will help manage the swings but not nearly solve the problem
  • Quickly deploy full flaps
  • Trim rudder 8 degrees left
  • Trim ailerons 2 degrees right

Coming into final:

• Follow the approach and try to be at 200 feet above right before the runway starts
  • Use your second shortcut above to open spoilers and disarm autothrottle (if you don’t, the engine will keep accelerating on its own)
  • As soon as you do it, push nose down as the deceleration will be strong, by then you will have forgotten about the hurricane, then do what you normally do on the other challenges

Hope this helps

1 Like

I think I’m having the same issue with another landing challenge, in this case with ALTENRHEIN, it’s like flying through a hurricane, I can’t even fly the plane ,the speed goes up and down a lot, I don’t know if it was because the last Australia World Update, I have seen videos in YouTube about the same landing challenge and they are ok they don’t look like mine, it’s completely imposible to land,

Anyone has this problem too?

I haven’t done this one for months. It’s pretty wild, I don’t remember it being this bad, but it’s a lot easier to land than a 747, especially as the wind settles near the runway. I managed to beat my high score, 1,133,700, so it’s nothing like Dusseldorf.

I’ve completed them all except this one. The gusts are pretty crazy.

2 Likes

I found a solution to complete this landing easily:

Inside this folder:

“[Install Path]\Official\OneStore\microsoft-landingchallenge-eddl-dusseldorf\Missions\dusseldorf”

there is a file named “Weather.WPR”

Make a backup of that file to restore it again after you complete the challange

Now copy “Weather.WPR” from any other landing challange with calm winds to “dusseldorf” folder

For example:

“[Install Path]\Official\OneStore\Asobo-landingchallenge-yssy-sydney\Missions\Asobo\LandingChallenges\Sydney\Weather.WPR”

I re-launched Flight Simulator 2020, but maybe is not needed

After these steps i got 1.240.828 points at my second attempt (first attempt i landed in the wrong runway :roll_eyes:)

3 Likes

A nice tip, but unfortunately does not work on the XBox :wink:

LoL, you weren’t kidding about those winds. It’s like I’m flying a kite.

1 Like

@KobayashiST good call!

I just removed the entire <‘GustWave’> section in that file. It was still pretty windy but it was the gusts that made the speed fluctuate so violently.

It’s still difficult to land with winds, so I set WindLayerSpeed Value=“3.270” and it was still challenging enough but I eventually managed to get over a million, after more than 6 months!

I haven’t tried it yet, but I will tonight now!

Watching IRL vids on different landings at Dusseldorf, it’s some of the most intense flying I’ve seen anywhere.

EDIT: Yeah that 25kts gusting below 2500’ is very interesting and not one I would stick around for IRL I don’t think. Keeping the speed between flap overspeed and minimum speed is very tough.
I would like to say that it IS possible, but only by immediately reducing power to idle and climbing a bit (or extending spoilers to get that speed right back). I did managed to land it, once, and got an incredible score of 4090ish. Yup. :rofl:

I’m not sure the scenario placement is too good in this instance, perhaps the speed needs to be lower on startup, or the start placed further away from the runway.

Please remember for airliner type landings IRL, it is much more important to have a safe rather than smooth landing, and that landing MUST be within the touchdown zone (generally between the 300m and 900m/1000’ and 3000’ touchdown markings).

Best of luck with this one! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Tried it today and only got 28 points. You go from overspeed to stall speed in seconds and you get blown all over the place.

2 Likes

Thank you so much ! This works 100 % :grinning:

There is a more appropriate way to complete the challenge. If you use the rudder trim to aim the nose left by 7-8% The aircraft will be able to stay better controlled on the approach and more accurately track the center line after touchdown. This is a video of how it works Microsoft Flight Simulator Dusseldorf High Winds Challenge - YouTube

1 Like

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

747 behaving like a rowing boat in a force 9 gale

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Dusseldorf windy landing challenge

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I think that’s a little unrealistic situation in Dusseldorf, even in the worst scenery in real life I think is a little hard to meet that speed variations between 220 and 120 knots in just one second.

1 Like

Yes

Not required

Still bugged. Half a year later. Stuck on 99% of all challenges because of this one. Can’t do more than 800000 points because thet 747 gets thrown around like if it was cub

1 Like

Hi Cufa1551,

I know what you mean. I’ve been stuck on this one for months too. it’s the only one that I have not been able
to get an A. And at this rate, I don’t think I ever will, unless out of pure luck, or if they make the challenge more realistic again as it was when it first came out.

Mario

1 Like

It is possible if you use rudder trim to counteract the crosswind. It helps you be better aligned to the centerline and allows for somewhat better speed control as well. This is how I did it. Microsoft Flight Simulator Dusseldorf High Winds Challenge - YouTube