Dx11 or dx12?

what is the difference between using dx11 or dx12? What is improved?

Thx

2 Likes

Kills my fps by 50%+ reduction. So I’ve switched it back to DX11

27 Likes

I strongly suggest not to, I have a 1080ti and the stuttering was out of control. I can do ultra in DX11 but nothing in DX12 seems to work for me.

11 Likes

nothing improved as it is just there w/o any feature. All this is for to test (whoever wish to participate) the stability under different hardwares and we’ll see things next year when it’s more reliable. At the moment many people reporting droping performance, stutters etc. Not recommended in a long run, you can try it tho’ and share your experiences on zendesk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well its just beta. I guess they just want feedback from us.

4 Likes

Pretty major loss of performance for me as well. Big drop in average framerate and far more stutters / worse 1% FPS.

1 Like

its beta. But for me the fps are a bit higher (10%). But dont look around in the cockpit or in the extern view. (so also dont use it in VR) Then the fps drops and stutter. After a short time the fps is back to normal and for me a bit higher.

2 Likes

I have TrackIR and if I turn to DirectX12, TrackIR stops working, although all the lights are still lit on the camera!

2 Likes

i had stuttering when i was on ground taxi but not while i was up in the air

3 Likes

No issues with DX12 on my end

1 Like

It seems to me that the GTX 1070 / 1080 equivalents are suffering (despite being DX-12 capable cards), whilst it looks like a lot of those with newer cards are having less problems.

Who knows - perhaps some new drivers may be out in the coming weeks from Nvidia.

Best to stick to DX11 for the time being.

1 Like

got like 5 fps with my 6800xt Nitro plus
Switched back to DX11

1 Like

ok thanks so, DX12, It has no influence on graphics or that the map / cities looks better

1 Like

I got major stutters leaving EGLL using it with my 3090. I’m in the air now, and it’s fine. My FPS is down about 20%, but the stutters are gone. It’s back to 11 for me after I land.

3 Likes

Seb warned in yesterday’s Q&A that using DX12 would show zero improvements (initially) and in some cases could even cause a decrease in performance.

There’s no advantage to using DX12 atm except to help test stability. And it could hurt performance, as people are now reporting.

I can imagine there are a lot of evangelists who’ve been screaming for DX12 and convinced it would give them a huge performance uplift as soon as it was rolled out that are feeling a bit foolish right now. And probably a few that will swear up and down that they’re seeing more fps (even though they’re not) in order to save face.

13 Likes

No performance impact on my MSI RTX3080.

Still, it’s just a beta from the devs and unless we get all these new eye candy features (RTX / DLSS) that ought to be implemented (and it will take months of hard work) there is really no point in choosing DX12 over DX11.

On my end, just wanted to let know my feedback to the dev that on a recent high-end GPU, DX12 does not CTD the sim or send my framerate into oblivion.
And this test was on a 30-minute flight with the A32NX aircraft (despite FBW stating officially that their plane is struggling with DX12)

2 Likes

Didn’t notice much of a performance change either way, though ATM DX11 seems a bit smoother - I did have a CTD while trying it so switched back, since there’s no real advantage to using it yet.

1 Like

2070 Super here.
DX 12 option ON pretty much stopped the sim from apparently using my GPU as usage dropped into low single digits. CPU also saw reduced usage. Not too hard to figure out how the game runs when GPU util is low single digits and CPU util also down from normal.

GPU Utilization seems lower/not optimized at the moment under DX12. Bit of stuttering and losing quite a bit of fps, so i had to switch back to DX11 for the time being… Sadly
(RTX 3090)

1 Like

My performance was destroyed by DX12. I lost about 10FPS and gained a lot of stutters, with no visible improvement in graphics quality at all. Big disappointment. :frowning:

2 Likes