Dx11 or dx12?

If you want a slideshow, switch to DX12.

6 Likes

Itā€™s heavily hardware dependant. For me, thereā€™s no perceivable difference, so Iā€™m sticking to 11 for stability.

Do keep in mind that yesterday they said clearly that thereā€™s no feature or specific advantage using DX12 for now. Itā€™s just a way to test it.

To avoid confusion and posted twice on this forum DX12 thread, It was stated yesterday on Q@A Seb confirmed this version of DX12 on SU7, no change on graphic or either performance benefit, itā€™s only a test to see if base DX12 will works, after that on later update, graphic enhancement will be available and performance had potential to increase a bit later etcā€¦For now do not expect anything on DX12 only to find bug\issue.

8 Likes

2080ti, latest driver, using DX12 gives me a CTD within seconds of starting a flight. Back to DX11 for me

2 Likes

In my case (Ryzen 5600x - GTX 1080 TI - I only use VR), DX12 gives me an additional 6-8 fps. But they are not constant, which causes stuttering. For now I am still in DX11.

3 Likes

I cannot get my head around the idea that releasing it as a beta when there is no discernible improvement for most and for some an actual decrease in performance is really any sort of meaningful test. Why even bother to enable it unless it has something to offer that will persuade us to keep it switched on?

6 Likes

Because they know some placebo effect-prone individuals will enable it and convince themselves it performs better than DX11 and provide them with crash dumps to debug it.

2 Likes

no problems with DX12 on my system, nothing gained or lost, I even wondered if it was on :rofl:

A bit more flights now and DX12 uses more GPU ram it seems (not a problem), fps are the same as DX11 however i do get the odd stutter now and again, so back to DX11 for nowā€¦

1 Like

yeah DX12 killed my FPS

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because itā€™s not a ā€œtestā€, as many people in this thread are sayingā€¦ Itā€™s purely a PR stunt.

Cā€™mon guys, we donā€™t need more sugarcoating.

3 Likes

same here. DX11 has better performance for now. DX12 ist stuttering / FPS drop.

with DX12 i get my copilot sitting by himself in the air with nothing around him :rofl:

1 Like

mine to. So I switch back to DX11. No big deal to me. Since they havenā€™t implemented any of the graphical advantages of DX12 yet, itā€™s a non-issue for me. The graphics of MSFS are still way ahead of any other flightsim out there, so I see no reason to complain :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yeah im nit loosing any sleep, so glad Australia is next in the list :upside_down_face:

At least it is interesting to see that implementing DX12 correctly is not as easy as pushing a switch button :wink: it needs reworking the code sometimes deeply. It goes to show that it will take months.

The majority seems to have major performance issues, regardless of how powerfull their setup is.

It will get there but will take time, especially since you have to make your own VRAM memory management almost from the ground up in DX12 whereas in previous DX, you could entirely rely on drivers to do the tedious work for youā€¦
Closer to metal philosophy: much more control over each aspect of a rendering engine thus more optimisation possible but with more technical work on the devs part

1 Like

Same for me.

Report it. That is why it is in beta so folks can test it and report back.
Is there a special dx12 thread??

1 Like

The ā€˜testingā€™ element is about the basic dx12 code running on a very wide mix of hardware. It is a beta. Once the basic code runs well various features using the dx12 code can be introduced.
It isnā€™t sugar coating, but responsible initial steps. Had they rolled out dx12 as default everybody would be screaming ā€™ why didnā€™t they test itā€™.

1 Like

I have an 8700K/1080. Tried one flight with DX12, it was very stuttery. Flew the same flight again with DX11, perfectly fine. No difference in visuals. So DX11 it is for me.

2 Likes

Using DX12, I suffer a massive 10FPS loss of frame rate and constant stutters.
Using DX11 with SU7, I suffer a 2-3 loss of FPS (compared to SU6) but no stutters.

2 Likes