DX12 GSync brightness flickering / fluctuating

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes and no changes just fps overlay enabled

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes it behaves the same way with and without addons

Brief description of the issue:

I recently upgraded to a 4080 and did a proper fresh Windows 11 install + DDU my drivers as well.
When I boot the sim in DX12 i have these constant brightness fluctuations which looks like the screen is flickering even above the gsync range.
I tried it with vsync on and off (in-sim) with frame generation on and off and nothing helped.
This does not happen in DX11 but I do miss out on frame generation this way.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

(placeholder, maybe i can record it with my phone)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Enable gsync fullscreen and windowed mode > start MSFS in DX12 and look close to your screen for dips in brightness (especially in the dark)

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidia 545.92 Drivers

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

5800X3D - 32GB RAM - RTX 4080 - Windows 11 pro
using 3x 1440p 165hz LG IPS monitors [27GP850P]

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re describing, but when I use Frame Generation = ON with my 4090, I always see screen tear in the middle of my screen. I also use Tobii Eye Tracking, but it seems to happen anytime (on or off)… so I am assuming it’s Frame Generation and MSFS. It’s annoying for sure. I too only sim in DX12, so assume it’s just impacting DX12 as well?

Is it more at the far sides of the screen? Less noticeable in the centre? More in menus / loading screens than in flight?

What monitor refresh are you running? What monitor? What kind of cable?

Reason I have these questions is trying to see how much matches up to me experience.

Ultrawide, DV cable, 144Hz (maximum screen can do). DX12 with FG. I’ve always used FG so can’t compare to without but for the sure for me it seems the Hz is the thing that makes it happen. Lower Hz (over same cable) and it’s not as noticeable. Perhaps it’s the quality of the cable can’t handle supplying that resolution at those refresh rates. It’s the cable that came with the screen though so would assume the spec is good for it but :man_shrugging:

no the entire screen is just constantly fluctuating in brightness.
if i switch to windowed mode it’s gone and stable.
in fullscreen it’s back again.

if i use DX11 it’s not happening.
DX12 it’s happening when gsync is enabled, with fixed rate it’s not happening.

it’s very strange, i tried many other gsync titles + tried the pendulum tech demo with below hz range and also didn’t happen.

G-SYNC is designed to work with compatible monitors, cables, and NVIDIA GPUs. Windows and MSFS do not know about G-SYNC and there are no customizations or switches available like there are for HDR.

Make sure that in the NVIDIA Control Panel Display menu under “Set up G-SYNC that “Enable for windowed and full screen mode” is checked because it isn’t the default setting. MSFS (and other graphical programs) use internally “Full Screen Borderless” even though the MSFS Display Mode is “Full Screen”.

yeah everything is set up correctly, i tried several different cables as well.
I am quite the IT man myself :sweat_smile: But i’m just dumbfounded when it comes to MSFS behaving this way.
I’ve done multiple testings with other titles.

Either nvidia doesn’t play well with the sim in DX12, or it’s something else i completely am missing.
If others experience this issue it will be more clear to me it’s not just me etc.

EDIT: It can also be my middle screen having a defective module somehow.
I have the same monitor 3x on my desk, i’ll try the sim on the other one now.

I agree! I guess that until DX12 is no longer in Beta for MSFS, we will continue to be beta testers.

1 Like

running the sim right now on my left monitor in DX12, i cranked up my render scaling back and forth so i dip below the gsync range and above it as well with frame generation active as well.
I don’t notice any issues yet for some reason.
the gsync module did it’s work in literally every other game i’ve played tho.

this is strange, i’ll swap both monitors places and use this one in the middle and report back in a day or two with my results.

As this seems to be a user issue rather than a bug report, thread moved to General Discussion and Community Support / Tech Talk.

yeah i am not sure if it is yet, hope so.
at least that way there will be a short term solution.

1 Like

Try shutting off Bloom. Known issue with DX12 and screen flashing with Bloom on. Long thread on it in the Tech Talk sub forum. Asobo refuses to fix it.

2 Likes

They said on last Q&A there is nothing left for them to do with DX12.

I have the same problem but it happens in DX12 and DX11. If I switch to windowed mode or press the windows key it stops.

Just to make sure – what kind of frame rates are you seeing? Some variable refresh rate monitors have a minimum frame rate they can maintain without flicker problems.

The way LCD monitors work is that each subpixel’s liquid crystals are maintained at a particular charge state by a capacitor between refreshes, but there’s a limited time before that capacitor runs low. Sometimes this may be like in the 30-40 Hz range, which is common to get at large airports in MSFS even with a high-end system.

Some systems will double up the frame refresh for low frame rates, but I don’t know if this is an “all nvidias do it” or “all amds do it” or both or something else.

Does your monitor natively support G-sync? I got this exact issue when I was using g-sync through an unsupported freesync capable monitor.

i always sit above 50fps as i have a fairly fast system, i am within the range.

Yes it does all 3 of them are gsync monitors

1 Like

I’m starting to think this is driver related, it just started for me a couple months ago. I used driver 531.29 for a long time and never had this problem.

1 Like