DX12 Still not playing nice

I have just the opposite with an RX 6800 w/16GB Vram - all is very smooth and no CTD’s.

I recommend when people respond to this thread pls indicate your GPU and amount of Vram so we can see if there is a pattern. My personal opinion is that Nvidia cards continue to have this issue much more than AMD. It’s disappointing if MS/Asobo have not fixed this in SU12 and you should use @Crunchmeister71 link above to vote.

3 Likes

Well Asobo needs to re think on overrunning VRAM as not one but lots of people still have this issue and it can be observed! My 4090 runs near max VRAM and it can felt by fps! So yha they need to look in to this as DX12 is Definitely future of this sim but needs a heavy and extensive work and attention to improve and bring DX12 to its absolute best to squeeze as much as we can performance out of it and all good and amazing capabilities it can offer! At the moment we can’t do nothing if Asobo still zoomed in to the past tech DX11 is no good never have been it’s better than DX9-10 but not a massive improvement all was I remember just better rounded objects and bit more light reflections on surfaces that’s all, but when looking in to DX12 then yes that is difference that is new and we should be embracing new and better rather than stick to old!

Asobo !!? Boys let’s move on we all have train to catch DX12 is the way! “THIS IS THE WAY” let’s go

4 Likes

To clarify, I’m running an I9 10900k with a 3090 and 64gb RAM. I use a HPG2 to fly in VR but when the crashes occurred, I was flying off the monitor.

My Nvidia card runs 7.5% faster on DX12 than on DX11. No crashes.

What type of Nvidia card do you have?

I forget the brand, but it’s a 3080 - with 10GB of ram, I think.

Definitely not fixed. if DX12 is the future, then I would think work needs to be done. Either that or we all need to upgrade to 4090s with 24GB VRAM. But even then… is that enough? :rofl: I will head over and comment/upvote in that bug report. It’s too bad - until VRAM gets completely overrun with DX12, it runs/looks great. Until it doesn’t. And massive pauses occur…

BTW, I get these overruns with DX12 using Oculus Q2 with 3080Ti (12 GB VRAM) in VR - TAA 100, settings Ultra or High. Runs fine in DX11 with TAA/100. Just need some kind of limiter to detect when VRAM is approaching a certain threshold? I don’t know how this is programmed, but I would imagine it’s possible.

6 Likes

I think you’re correct in stating that they need to look into this VRAM problem. But I think it’s unfair to assume that they aren’t doing exactly that. It’s an ongoing problem that requires a lot of tweaking. The statements of the team in Development updates suggests that they’re working assiduously on DX12 implementation. The sheer number of problems addressed in SU12 is rather astonishing. Read the release notes – link is in the sim, itself. I’m surprised that they could accomplish all that with the approximately 200 people they have working on MSFS, and I’ll be surprised if they don’t eventually get DX12 tuned up.

1 Like

No problem here with DX12. Only switched back to it at the beginning of March. Nvidia 3080 10GB. after switching I did the clean Nvidia driver install, no Geforce experience. Cleared the shader cache and rebuilt the rolling cache.
No settings set in the driver, only in the sim. DLSS Quality. Using the default DLSS.

I was happy with performance pre SU12, and now fps (which I’m not overly bothered about because it was smooth at about 40-50 before hand) is up to 70 and VRAM usage has dropped by about 15%.

2 Likes

That’s the key. You have more than 8GB of VRAM. THose of us with 8 or less are seeing the issue.

1 Like

Its using less than 6Gb though

And people who have under 8GB using DX12 see MSFS trying to provision anywhere from 10-12GB of VRAM. At the same place with DX11, it’s using about 4GB.

It’s a problem. You don’t see it because of your GPU.

8 Likes

On Avsim many are reporting DX12 crashes with the latest (531.41) nVidia drivers.

Edit: There’s also people reporting crashes with this latest driver here - NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver 531.41 Discussion

DX12 runs very smooth and better than DX11 for me (i9-10900K - 32GB - RX6900XT - Reverb G2) since SU10.
Anyhow, since AAU1 in Jan, I have a lot of glitches, like steps on RWY.
Switching back to DX11 gives me definitely worse performance - no measured data, just what I‘m seeing but the glitches are gone.
CTDs are no issues for me both in DX11 and DX12. The last CTD I had was after a fresh Win installation and forgetting to setup my pagefile (system managed pf introduces CTD on my system, I need a fixed pf).

2 Likes

I had tried DX12 about 6 months ago and had all kinds of problems. I don’t specifically recall what it was doing but It was so bad I didn’t even try to fly. Just shut it down and went back to DX11. Last night I decided to give DX12 another go. WOW!, what a difference. I went from an average of 25 to 30 FPS to high 40s and low 50s. I also switched to DLSS. Since SU12 I have been experienceing a lot of really bad stuttering, especially around big cities and airports. With DX12 stuttering has disappeared. The first flight I did with DX12 was takeoff out of Sydney International. Sim was running smooth with no stuttering. When I landed there the day before with DX11 the stuttering was so bad I barely got down to the runway. After flying around Sydney for about 20 minutes the video just froze, the sound was still going. I had to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out. I looked at the event viewer and saw that at that time I had an error (Disk 5 has been surprise removed). I am not sure if that had anything to do with DX12. So I started a new flight. This time I flew for 1 hr 38 minutes and landed. This is a big deal because lately I have been getting a CTD at around an hour. Same higher frame rates, smooth and no stuttering. The only issue I noticed was with the water. I had the winds set at 7.9 kts so I would see some waves. When I go down close to the water (1000 ft or less) the water was shimmering and looked really weird. It didn’t stay like that all the time but was kind of random. Anyway I’m liking DX12 for the moment. I’ll try another long flight tonight. My system is getting old. I have an i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System. So 40 to 50 FPS is a big improvement for me.

5 Likes

TDog, I hope that the problem with the “Disk x has been surprise removed” doesn’t come back. I had an experience before SU12 but on DX12 in which the computer suddenly did an orderly spontaneous shutdown while running MFS. I found that same error message in Event Viewer with a timestamp immediately before the kernel shut down the computer.
The advice that I found had to do with power settings. If you have specified in power settings a time for the power management to “shut down hard drives” AND you experience the problem again, try changing that setting to “Never.” I did that and didn’t experience the problem again, but it’s too soon to know if the problem is solved for me.

1 Like

That sounds about right. On loading MSFS loads to ram and runs from there and if allowed to your drives will power off if they aren’t accessed within the allotted time frame. I’m not exactly sure of the workings but there may be an ERP ready enable/disable setting in your bios promoting this behaviour.

I use to get those Disk 5 messages while starting up a flight. The progress bar would always stop at the ecact same spot. It has something to do with virtual drives set up by Xbox. It’s not one of my actual drives shutting down. I solved that startup problem by taking everything out of my community folder except for the F6F Hellcat which is what I am flying now.

1 Like

Something is very wrong after the last SU12 update!!!

Chaning Vsync annd percentage of HZ does nothing in the sim. Same (low) fps as before.

Got red numbers in the fps counter (in sim), but then changed to vsync. Got green numbers. Changed back - and the numbers was not changing at all.

Also a bug where the fps counter stays even if exitiing dev.mode.

What is going on? Really low fps-figures here (and a lot of ppl reacting to the same problem). Its mostly in the cockpit while panning, but also generally

1 Like

Tbh anyone still with issues probably has a mod that needs updating, that could mean community, marketplace or one of several apps. Not all devs will have had early access to SU12 and not all would have had their fixes ready in time for release.

The red and green fps counter very much depends on your vsync setting e.g. I need at least 60fps to get green at 100% but only 30fps to get green at 50%.

I’m pretty sure the counter has been changed by design as some users will want the choice of using it and having their flights logged.

Also with every update parameters change e.g. the improved clouds look great but come at a fps cost, especially when you are in the same layer and thus you may need to knock the setting down a notch to get the same performance (this could be true of any setting). Also watch out if you had lowered your traffic settings before the update, you will probably find that they’ve gone back to default.