DX12 Still not playing nice

After SU12, I thought I’d take another look at DX12. As soon as I switched it on, the first CTD occurred while backing out. The next one while starting the base C172. Followed by a CTD prior to spawning at the same position for my test, which was Renton in the US. I also rebooted the PC after each CTD, to refresh the environment and ensure the previous CTD didn’t influence the next test. Anyway, after a number of CTDs, I decided to await a further update before trying again…

5 Likes

I think DX12 has gotten worse over the last few SU. But DX11 has gotten way better to the point where I don’t even care that much for DX12.

Seeing how slow Asobo is moving a long with DX12 optimizations, I don’t expect DX12 to be where we want it to be any time soon.

10 Likes

Using DX12 exclusively for a couple of months (Frame Generation not possible with DX11) and never had a CTD or any other problem.

10 Likes

DX12 is simply impossible to use for me personally.
VRAM fills up my 12GB Cap instantly at 4K.

DX11 is performing alot better for me.

3 Likes

In the latest livestream, there was some discussion about DX12.

Rather disappointingly, Asobo now seem to view DX12 as functioning ok, and are considering making it the default.

I had assumed DX12 was still under active development, but it now seems it is only going to be updated periodically, much like other parts of the sim. For me, DX11 and DX12 both function about the same - at least I don’t have any more CTDs with it than I do with DX11 - but I did think the aim was to use DX12 to further improve the peformance of the sim (much like Vulkan in X-Plane11). If not, why did they bother at all?

4 Likes

@ExtraPilot6480 You must’ve watched a different Dev Q&A than I did. No one said it’s going to be the default in its current state, I really wonder where you got this from.

Some quotes from the DX12 section starting at around 45:50 on Twitch:

• “We’re still working on DX12”
  • “DX12 is in beta, we’re testing it”
  • “when the bug count is gone, when everything is super stable, maybe it can go out of beta and become the default.”
  • “Currently we have still less crashes on DX11 than on DX12, so that’s why it’s the default”

They added DX12 because it offers access to new features, such as ray tracing, and they needed it anyway for Xbox. Most people who use it see a lower utilization of the main thread in DX12, so it does improve performance on average. Not in every situation, not on every system, but on average it does.

And for many users it already works better than DX11. I would use it if it weren’t for the vertical lines bug that I experience with DX12 on my Radeon 6700XT card, for details see this thread: Cloud texture shows vertical lines AMD DX12

21 Likes

Lots of crashes and issues particularly in VR here as well. There is good potential but a lot more work seems to be needed.

I run DX12 on my system, and it runs very smooth. Now if I could get a new computer with frame generation, I’d be set.

1 Like

I’ve never really noticed a difference between Dx 11 and 12 other than when using one it has my gpu as the limit and one says cpu when viewing the dev mode fps screen. I usually keep it on dx 12. My system is an I9 10900k, 3080ti, ssd drives and 3 2k monitors.

Same here. In VR with my 3080 Ti, DX12 overruns my 12GB of VRAM quickly and I get massive massive stuttering. I haven’t tried using DX12 with SU12. Have any improvements been made to avoid the huge amounts of VRAM that are used up when DX12 is enabled?

3 Likes

No issues with DX12 SU12. It’s absolutely a must have on my setup. DX11=stutters. I’m running an i7 10700k AMD RX6800 16gb. No issues with VRAM usage.

3 Likes

i9-10980 + RTX 2080 Super, DX12, smooth and I haven’t seen CTD for months.

1 Like

My 8Gb 3060Ti says “hello” :wink:

4 Likes

Are we talking DX12 TAA, DLSS, DLSS-DLAA combo? What are you using? DLSS-DLAA here.

Have you tried the latest .dll for the main dlss-file in the sim? Google DLSS 3.1.1. Worth testing, but take backup (two files with similar names could cause trouble).

rememeber the “DX10 preview” option in FSX? Promising soon to be DX10 features… which obviously never came. You get the idea.

7 Likes

It looks like AMD graphics cards running better on DX12 then Nvidia cards.
My card (RTX 3060ti) runs great on DX11 but much slower on DX12.
I can’t see less stutters on DX12, but only lower fps.

3 Likes

Gsync / Gsync compatible screen? What happens if you force Gsync Compat / Gsync in Nvidia and then ALSO force Vsync on there. Stay with Vsync OFF in game. Im mostly on high settings but TLOD is around 200, OLOD 100, then Screen reflecitions ULTRA and twe to in the top set to ULTRA as well. Are you sure theres always probems? Cause the server load effects graphics fps, stutter etc A LOT !!! (well, in this game it does). 3060Ti here in 2K. AMD 5600X. nVME-drive for game. 16Gb 3200mhz

1 Like

I can even cause a VRAM overrun to ~110 % on my RTX 4080 with 16 GB VRAM(!) and the Reverb1. DLSS Quality. Observed at VTBS Bangkok at ramp with a certain direction of view. Reverb had a short blackout, accordingly, but no CTD.

BTW, this isn’t new. Former Prepar3d users will recall frequent VRAM overruns when Prepar3d enabled DX12.

1 Like

DX12 has always ran 5-10 FPS slower and more stuttery on my system.

1 Like

Apparently Asobo are under the impression that the VRAM overprovisioning issue with DX12 is fixed, because the bug report thread was closed and marked as “fixed on live”, which it most definitely hasn’t been.

I started a new thread for it in the bug section for it. I would strongly encourage everyone experiencing the issue to add their info and votes to it to get some attention. Because as of right now it’s considered a resolved issue as far as the devs are concerned.

8 Likes