DX12 Work Graphs support

DX12 is prepared to release Work Graphs which is supposed to help the CPU not bottleneck with a high GPU. It would be cool for msfs to support this.

If you’re interested, Microsoft and Nvidia have developer-focused rundowns of Work Graphs in DirectX 12. For gamers, this process will be completely transparent.

For developers (Nvidia)

5 Likes

sounds very interesting, but can you already recommend the new tool…? :thinking: :wink: :+1:

This is VERY exciting. But there is a proviso…

(From the article)

“It’s up to developers to build Work Graphs into games, so this DirectX update isn’t going to boost performance across all your games instantly. You’ll also need a relatively modern GPU to take advantage of Work Graphs. Nvidia says this feature works on Ampere (RTX 30) and Ada Lovelace-based (RTX 40) video cards. On the AMD side, support is limited to the Radeon RX 7000 series.”

Microsobo, are you listening? This DEFINITELY needs to be a question posed to the developers. And IMHO, MUST be implemented in FS2024. Maybe not at release, since lord knows they have a lot on their plate. But it needs to be on the roadmap, for sure.

9 Likes

This really, really, really needs to be on the FS2024 roadmap.
In fact, I don’t think it should even be a Wishlist item. It should be something the developers know about, and are already planning to implement. But the Wishlist is what we, as users have.

I hope people see this, and understand what it means to the sim.
It should be upvoted by everyone with nVidia 3xxx and 4xxx-series, and AMD 7xxx-series GPU’s.

From the article linked above:

“It’s up to developers to build Work Graphs into games, so this DirectX update isn’t going to boost performance across all your games instantly. You’ll also need a relatively modern GPU to take advantage of Work Graphs. Nvidia says this feature works on Ampere (RTX 30) and Ada Lovelace-based (RTX 40) video cards. On the AMD side, support is limited to the Radeon RX 7000 series.”

3 Likes

I voted… TWICE, but it took my vote off again, so I voted THREE times :grin:

2 Likes

I often Like/ Unlike/ Like your posts. :rofl:

1 Like

You cheeky monkey :monkey:

1 Like

The MSFS team should be told!

Start a thread to allow for voting so it can get more traction. Also push this to them on the monthly dev Q&A and have them take a look into it. This can very helpful for the sim. It is going to be interesting to see how developers take advantage of it.

1 Like

The main question is if this is even an issue in the game engine. Does it have CPU bottlenecks when rendering? I’d rather assume it’s the whole simulation that’s running in the backgrounds that’s draining the CPU. But who knows?

My understanding is that the purpose of nVidia ‘Work Graphs’ is to offload some of the CPU render tasks to the GPU. Our GPU render engines are woefully underutilized in this sim, and our CPU’s are woefully unoptimized and overused. Maybe this can help. Read the article at the link I posted above.

1 Like

Moved to wishlist

2 Likes

Noted and already voted! Thank you!!

1 Like

Well done! :+1:t2:

I didn’t see anything about Intel gpu’s supporting this? It would certainly help the cause to get this done.

Microsoft and Nvidia have developer-focused rundowns of Work Graphs in DirectX 12.”

It would be nice to see this technology expand to AMD and Intel GPU’s. But if nVidia is involved, you can bet they’ll do everything in their considerable power to prevent that.

It’s up to Intel and AMD to invest money on it. Why would Nvidia give them the tech for free? Also, Nvidia has a huge market share on the pc. It makes sense for MS to partner with them. AND and Intel are the ones in need to make more progress to be relevant.

The article did say AMD’s 7000 series gpu’s would be supported but again, nothing about Intel.

1 Like

That’s true. Maybe there’s hope for ARC owner’s.

1 Like