Easier-to-use instrument and avionics knobs when the aircraft is moving

I’d like to see left/right mouse click and hold selects the dial, using mouse scroll then changes input until left/right mouse is released regardless if it’s still over the dial, like a grab > hold > turn > release sort of thing, not by restricting the camera controls in any way.

2 Likes

What I do is press down on my hat switch once, which puts you into that instrument view, which doesn’t move around as the plane moves. Then you can adjust instruments as you see fit, without missing the knobs.

Larger clickspots would be essential to use the various click wheels without frustration. Another idea would be I’d the curse was “magnetic” so it clung to the click spot even though the plane moved an your head too.

Cannot for the life of me comprehend why there are not many more complaining about this.

This is a modern sim with lots of realistic airplane movement…which I stress is GOOD…but we need e modern interaction system.

3 Likes

Oh, what a wish come true if you could, even for 2 seconds, “lock” the mouse wheel focus on a knob when making adjustments. For instance, have you ever been making an adjustment to a knob on your avionics while using your TrackIR or in severe turbulence and you couldn’t keep the cursor on the knob (the area of the knob the mouse recognizes for adjusting it) and then the cursor moves away from it while you’re hastily making the adjustment and you end up zooming your cockpit view in or out by a mile (might depend on your mouse configuration, regardless the function changes away from the knob adjustment). So, it would be an immense help if soon as you start adjusting the mouse wheel that it “locks” onto that function and while the wheel is actively being turned the “focus” of the mouse cursor remains locked, for at least a couple of seconds, until AFTER the last movement of the wheel (then the “focus” of the knob “unlocks”). This way any 3D cockpit view movement (either from using the mouse for view movement or when using a TrackIR) or when the turbulence is so severe it is juggling the brain matter within your skull, you can finish making that critical or timely adjustment to heading, altitude, radio frequency…you get the idea. Or maybe someone can figure out how to make the Knobster work in MSFS 2020?

Yes lmao!!! It always happens.

1 Like

Don’t be a wuss…lol just kidding…here’s the solution…for zooming with the mouse, bind zoom = mouse wheel AND mouse wheel button…meaning only zoom when mouse wheel is pressed in, and turned.

2 Likes

I think that some spatial selection mechanism should help. With that I mean some way to select the instrument by navigating through the cockpit instruments with a joystick hat or gamepad d-pad, selecting an instrument and then using the same d-pad or hat to perform actions on the instrument, such as flipping a switch or adjusting external/internal knobs. Perhaps a quick select mode could be implemented where the mouse or centre of the screen could be used to highlight what is being hovered over for immediate selection and manipulation. Once the selection button is pulsed and the item is selected, focus should be retained regardless of mouse or head position until selection is toggled again. This would be more useable than positioning the mouse cursor precisely over things, and could help make many airplane systems accessible from a HOTAS or gamepad.

I second the @majorhindsight9 's idea. It works quite nicely since I always use instrument adjusting more often than zooming, especially that moderate zooming can be easily done with TrackIR.

1 Like

This is where Logitech flight panels are really good. Saves you mucking about with the mouse control when using track IR.

That would be the ideal for me… a priority purchase, if she lets me…

1 Like

Maybe this does a little help:

I would hang fire. They are hard to get hold of at the moment and although they work with the sim, there are still issues. A good purchase to start using in 6= months time I would suggest

1 Like

That’s probably the amount of time I need to justify and apply the right level of… persuasion… if you see what I mean

1 Like

Hi,

do you experience the struggle to turn the knobs or press the buttons in the cockpit while you manually fly the aircraft and the cockpit is moving in front of the mouse?

Like, you want to set a heading in the A/P but the cockpit is moving so sometimes you adjust the altitutde on the knob but sometimes you zoom in, because the cursor went off the knob and then the mouse wheel acts as zoom?

I propose something like “cursor snap”. This could be turned off/on also with sensitivity settings.

Once you hover above a knob, the cursor would stay there until you move the mouse more. Small movement of the mouse will not move the cursor.

This should work on all knobs and buttuns in the cockpit.

+1 here if you like this suggestion.

1 Like

I only have issues like this when looking through the default cockpit camera, i guess it’s a very oblique angle to the altimeter nob of the airbus in particular and because of that the “hitbox” is smaller however when i directly look at switches and nobs there is no problem. I proposed a center screen dot while in freelook mode so i can now what i can use and look at something on the spot by just moving the mouse and not having to click anything else. It didn’t click at all with the community, it just got buried.

Clicking or let alone turning buttons or knobs is indeed some hassle when turbulence occurs. Would love to see one of the options mentioned above implemented while my preferred option would be that at a specific selectable zoom rate the shake affect is reduced to basically zero. The more zoomed in the less shaking. That way everybody could set his or her desired zoom value which stops the swaying and erratic zoom. However I understand this option would only work for those who zoom at all to reach, read and turn knobs and there could be folks with gigantic screen who do not need to zoom at all

Forget about all the previous suggested possible solutions. Just stop the instrument panel from moving at all when the “stop camera shake” option is selected. I don’t have head tracker, but I just simply want to be able to move the mouse pointer onto a control and then not have to watch it to make sure it doesn’t move off. The panel only seems to move when banking the aircraft, in that case the panel also banks and starts moving randomly. Please just stop it moving at all, it doesn’t need to!! It is so frustrating trying to use the knobs when it is moving.

1 Like

Another idea how to solve this - assign a key/middle mouse button to “lock” the focus on the knob. This way, after I press the lock, I could turn the knob and the mouse will remain focused on the knob and would not move away until I again “unlock” the knob.

The lock would act as “hold the knob” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ever tried to change the speed for the autothrottle of the Citation longrange in shaky weather?
There is no keyoard mapping for this item. The klickspots are imbecile.

i believe it has been done…1.10.8.0

options, general, camera, cockpit camera, camera shake - turn it off and the camera no longer moves with the banking and pitching of the aircraft…thank god!!! or maybe someone at Asobo…