Effect of haze in the atmosphere

The video shows examples of how in real life there is a haze effect in the atmosphere as it is remote. It looks very great! And the second option, where landing in msfs 2020. There’s no haze.

8 Likes

Although this effect is probably in the simulator, it is poorly worked out in case of clear sky

I use Live Weather for every flight, mostly in the UK, and I see haze just like the real life video above.

2 Likes

can I ask you to show your example?

Like Tim (GBTAW) I also fly in the uk mainly & have often seen a haze. Just depends on the weather conditions

Regards
Steve

Same here - flying in Eastern Brazil yesterday afternoon using real weather and it was extremely hazy. I noticed particularly because this is something I’ve complained about in the past.

In my opinion, it is still too clear too often, but it has definitely gotten better since launch.

Sure, here you go:

1 Like

Life weather…suppose you don’t use it, I always put misty sky using Weather menu. You can set aerosols level 0…100 :shushing_face:

Yep see it all the time with Live Weather, guessing the OP had been using a preset likes Clear Skies which makes everything crystal clear for miles around.

I fly with live weather only and I never saw any kind of haze once you have clear skies. In my real life flying it’s quite opposite as you very rarely have no haze in the sky, which is mostly due to inversion layers.

1 Like

One thing the sim doesn’t do is recreate smog and pollution over cities. I’ve been flying out of LA a lot recently and although it can get hazy you never really see the level of smog you get in real life hanging over LA. The same goes for New York, London etc.

Maybe its something Asobo could work on in the future. I know people love flying over cities and seeing crazy high levels of detail as far as the eye can see but its sometimes not that realistic.

2 Likes

this is what I wrote about in the title of the topic

Well actually, I think Asobo was very lucky to obtain satellite image material made during the 2020 Corona lockdown period. I wonder if e.g. Delhi/India would have been so accurate, without the smog lifted… or LA for that matter… when the sat would have had to cope with smog 24/7 !

Simulation of the reality of pollution can be added. I prefer opt-out (default there should be some, over cities)

I fly a lot in the Brazilian Amazon. I never use live weather and do see a slight haze. I have not used this yet but I read somewhere that you can create a haze effect using the aerosol setting slider.

I do miss the visibility setting from FSX.

1 Like

The data in the LA region is from 2014 (judging by construction sites captured in the area). Most of the data in FS2020 is 7 years old already.

But maybe smog explains while PG areas are more brownish in general.

1 Like

We’ve been pushing for this for a long time. There’s a default “haze” which is part of the generic atmosphere model that’s ever present. And then there’s “aerosol”, which is a brown particulate like smoke, and as far as I know, Live Weather does not yet utilize this.

And for the times when it’s “extremely hazy” I’ve found it’s the simulator is actually trying to render nearby rain showers.

Getting anything between unlimited visibility default haze and misty rain showers doesn’t seem to be a thing yet in the simulator. It should be possible for the sim’s visibility to smoothly vary from truly unlimited (no default haze) all the way down to 0 (have trouble seeing wingtips). Perhaps they did work on this some more though? I’d love to see more screenshots where people are reporting haze and mist in Live Weather.

This is kind of the holy grail for me when it comes to the sim’s weather:

You’ve got a couple miles visibility due to a thick boundary layer haze, and there’s still a convective cloud layer in the mix as well. I haven’t seen anything like this in the sim yet. But it would make VFR flying a realistic challenge.

17 Likes

I concur, I have never seen anything like this using real world weather in the sim. I hope it is coming with the “big weather update” they keep alluding to in the Q/As although I doubt it is.

4 Likes

Pretty sure we can bring this to the devs attention (probably already did) I assume it’s just a matter of time before we get more options / sliders, and probably sometime after Dx12 dropped for PC. One thing I wouldn’t want, is that it’s baked in by default like in Xplane, because after a while it becomes super annoying and unrealistic, depending on where you fly and in what conditions.

1 Like

As Skiptaibot mentioned above, visibility parameters like humidity, dust, haze are completely absent from the sim. Martial mentioned this in the last Q&A that there is a disconnect between meteoblue and in game weather engine. Its not picking up visibility paramters. A fix is coming by the end of year. Due to the absence of ambient visibility, the sim at times look highly unrealistic with unlimited visibility and gives a look of dead or empty atmosphere.

2 Likes

Server off… let’s fly and take weather pics :wink: